Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plan for Elon to roast the shorts:

Roast 1 - minimal squeeze but would require shorts to double down to hold the line
  1. 29th Sep confirm split will be 18th Oct
  2. 30th Sep AI day #2 including Optimus unveiling + announce V11 FSD released to all US users tonight
  3. 2nd Oct P&D

Roast 2
  1. 17th Oct (would normally be the Wednesday) Q3 ER including deferred tax valuation allowance & deferred FSD kraken release
  2. 18th Oct Split
3 more market days before the weekend to let the squeeze run.
Announce at Annual Meeting that Tesla will now be releasing monthly production, delivery, and numbers of cars on ships heading for delivery. Give the shorts less nonsense to spew 1st and 2nd months of quarter.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

If Tesla shows an actual working prototype with the potential to be a general purpose worker bot suitable for hundreds of applications, and if they talk about their mass production plans for such a robot, the market might react extremely favorably to this. The virgin market available for such a product is IMMENSE and many investors would certainly want a part of that market at ground zero.
I like the way you see it, I see it that way too. I don't believe Mr. Market will see it that way. I also don't know how impressive the first prototype will be.

Depends if they show a basic bot walking around a staged factory floor carrying a box or if they spend 20 minutes talking about AI and Of course we could make things more challenging, Lisa, but then the stupider students analysts would be in here complaining, furrowing their brows in a vain attempt to understand the situation.
View attachment 832932

Pretty much. If they show something tangible and physical at AI Day 2 then I think the market will respond positively, but if it's all talk (even if it's extremely positive talk) then I feel the response would be neutral or negative.

Either way I'm very much looking forward to AI Day 2. :cool:

Perhaps they missed the American Express earnings call. Americans are spending a lot on entertainment and travel, not just food. AE actually guided for higher than expected revenue growth for 2H as they saw that trend to continue. Retail stores see recession while credit card companies see red hot economy.
That is how I feel as well.. how much of the same junk do you need to buy from Walmart, Best Buy or Target we've been doing that for decades and our houses are full of needless widgets and doo-dads. I'll spend my money on something new and different like the experience of a trip or event.

Same thing with cars, who wants to drive the same thing they've been driving for the last 20 years? Same buttons that are now square instead of round, same routine of filling up with gas every week and oil changes on the weekend every 3 months... people hear of Tesla and an electric car and they want get out of the old cycle of doing things and have a new experience of the future.

The economy is red hot if you aren't looking at the old way of doing things. This is 2022, more has changed in the last 5 years than any other 20 year period in the past* so you can't look at the past to judge how things are going now.

*I just made that up but it sounds right with EVs now being popular (paradigm shift), COVID and Post-COVID world, and all the politics that have changed (DON'T ELABORATE ON THIS LAST POINT)

Max pain is now at 765 this week. That's up considerably from yesterday morning, no?

Call wall at 800 has shrunk and 850/900 are now both twice as large as 800. Interested to see if this has an impact today.

Flat all week then $849 close Friday makes sense to me on neutral or slightly down macros.
Max Pain yesterday was $760, $800 wall has stayed the same, $850 and $900 went way up (I'm watching due to 'the other thread')

And I agree that it would seem like $850 is the one that will be defended, if needed.

Doesn't seem to be at this point, but let's see how earnings go today after the bell and then we have the Fed Wed to contend with (0.75 hike is priced in, maybe a full point is priced in?)

Wal Mart had a rough earnings report today, my guess is the market will be red tomorrow, including TSLA.
This is why many of use here are wealthier than the average Wall Street player/Analyst. If they were smart, they would sell Wal Mart and put their money into a company with massive cash flow/profits and growth coming. Instead they sell everything.... 🤷‍♂️

I'm not sure I agree with that.

If Tesla shows an actual working prototype with the potential to be a general purpose worker bot suitable for hundreds of applications, and if they talk about their mass production plans for such a robot, the market might react extremely favorably to this. The virgin market available for such a product is IMMENSE and many investors would certainly want a part of that market at ground zero.
IIRC Elon mentioned that their first application would be a bot used in the Tesla Gigafactories, not walking on legs, just the usual wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler
There is also a 2 hour discussion with Chunk on this unprotected left turn with obstructed view. Chunk is a retired commercial pilot with strong technical background making the analysis fairly interesting. I watched the first 30 minutes.

Key point from that video for this forum is that Chunk feels the geometry of the driver side B pillar camera placement is inadaquate to remove the driver at this stop sign due to the obstruction on the left. The angle and placement of the camera, the obstruction on the left, the distance on how far to safely creep forward, and especially the high speed of the traffic vs number of pixels representing a car at far distance all challenge FSD. For human to make the turn, the driver must lean forward past the steering wheel to get a slight glimpse of the traffic on the left. He hopes he has not shown Tesla a problem Tesla cannot solve as that is not his intent.

other points:
- responding to the question on how would he solve this given unlimited budget, his solution is to add more cameras
- since Elon tweeted to Chunk, that is most likely the reason the ADAS team has been there months ago, and returned recently
- these 6 lane unprotected left turn road design are not just in Florida, but also common in Texas
- with respect to make a right turn then make a U at the next light, he avoids that because in the 30 years he has lived there, there has been many times more accidents there than going for the left due to people running the red.
- cars regularly can go 85 mph on this stretch with some motorcycles going over 100 in the night.
- back in v9 days, FSD beta used make 4 right turns, but it just ends up at the same stop sign. :)

Nothing of value to add (sorry), but this unprotected left turn looks extremely dangerous. I don't think we have anything like this in NYS. Hopefully this can be solved for FSD. I would have a tough time trusting my car to make this turn without me taking over.

Nothing of value to add (sorry), but this unprotected left turn looks extremely dangerous. I don't think we have anything like this in NYS. Hopefully this can be solved for FSD. I would have a tough time trusting my car to make this turn without me taking over.
To be fair, I would have a hard time trusting myself or any other human to make this left turn as well. If it were me driving, I would definitely make a right and a U-turn instead. If I was in a friend's or acquaitance's car (not taxi/uber) and they took this left turn, I'd actually ask them why they didn't just make a right and a U-turn instead to save themselves the hassle/headache of dealing with trying to make a left there.

This is 2022, more has changed in the last 5 years than any other 20 year period in the past* so you can't look at the past to judge how things are going now.
I'm happy we're finally switching to EV and renewables, and I do recognize all the industries that have been disrupted for the better.

But the change we made in the past 5 years are still not really promising, when we account for the repercussions of the things we continue to expand: we're still making more cars, pushing for more stuff, more distance traveled, bigger houses, bigger screens, larger swimming pools, etc ("If You Don't Make Stuff, There Is No Stuff").

I'm afraid the "more" will have an increasingly bigger impact on our fragile habitat for quite some time, because we still can't make the "more" "less" damaging. I'm not calling for less science and technology but at some point, our inability to desire some eco-sufficiency will ruin it all, however hot the economy can appear.

I hope the next Tesla will try to actively support a way of life that is sustainable from end-to-end. It isn't the case yet because, for now, Tesla's only concern is of the inputs to produce, operate and recycle its products, not their overall footprint. In this way, I fear the Tesla Bot will be a step forward and two step back due to bigger rebound effects in a ever bigger system of production.

Last edited:
To be fair, I would have a hard time trusting myself or any other human to make this left turn as well. If it were me driving, I would definitely make a right and a U-turn instead. If I was in a friend's or acquaitance's car (not taxi/uber) and they took this left turn, I'd actually ask them why they didn't just make a right and a U-turn instead to save themselves the hassle/headache of dealing with trying to make a left there.
I agree...if that was near me I would try to avoid. Looks like an accident just waiting to happen.

Reactions: ABCTG and JusRelax
Chunk answered the question re: why would he make the left v.s. a right then a U at the intersection. He has lived there for 25 to 30 years and there has been more accidents at intersection than making the left due of speeders running the red. Overall, he feels the left is safer.

But I think that intersection would be an outlier compared to the many unprotected left into a 6-lane road, if that is the case statistically.

Regardless, glad to see the ADAS team working on this and probably many other one-off road layouts for the march of the 9's.

Tesla's only concern is one the inputs to produce, operate and recycle its products, not their overall footprint.
That's obviously false. By increasing the efficiency of the product, manufacturing, and the use of sustainable energy in all facets of life Tesla is most certainly concerned with the overall footprint.

Wal Mart has been comically overvalued for a while. It’s gonna continue to lose. It’s zero to negative growth rate deserves a PE in the teens.

Amazon’s probably gonna lose money or barely make any at all too.
Walmart's dividend history and growth is one reason it will always be propped up to a certain level. Pure financial wise it should be a 18-20 PE stock, but with the trust in the dividend and growth of it, 22-24 is more realistic. At ~28-30+... makes absolutely zero sense to me. There are better names out there at a far less PE (Alphabet is clearly one).

Amazon has a reputation of high growth it is riding on. Jassy seems to be unwinding that from the Bezos era, but there are signs he just wants to grow elsewhere. It'll take ~12-18 months for the market to really price in a grow stoppage if there is one. If they do though, they'll be put squarely in the 30 PE range like Apple and Microsoft.

The market today looks to be drawing the lines where a ~6% Nasdaq move and ~4% SP500 move is setup over the next couple days based on the news. The bullish move for the Nasdaq is a fly through 12k where 12,150 is resistance for the next leg up. The bearish is a breakdown to 11k where it brings back in the possibility of re-testing lows (though the support at 11k has been strong and building).

This is why many of use here are wealthier than the average Wall Street player/Analyst. If they were smart, they would sell Wal Mart and put their money into a company with massive cash flow/profits and growth coming. Instead they sell everything.... 🤷‍♂️
Keeps the market makers happy which is why they manipulate people to do that. I'll never understand people buy a stock when it is going up substantially then sell the very same stock when it goes down substantially the next day. Buying high, selling low is not much of a plan for success.

Reactions: BornToFly