Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When a CEO suddenly sells a huge number of shares a rational investor will question it. If you want to stubbornly pretend it's a meaningless event you can scroll past all discussion of it.
Who said it's meaningless? I take issue with you saying it's somehow horrible.

You have no way of knowing how it's gonna turn out and nobody is gonna change Elon.

This is part of the ride. You don't get to pick and choose your own adventure.

Last edited:

Not saying this is accurate. But this could explain the timing if it's accurate.
1660182169635.png

Closing the deal and removing that overhang threat from TSLA before the split registration date would be a nice catalyst.
So much, that it sounds too good to be true...
I remain skeptical about it.

If that is true… Dan O’Dowd is more of an idiot than I thought 😆
Hehe won't argue that, but I have to add that it's de rigueur to press the accelerator pedal to pull off these hit pieces. There was a different video a few months back and we all analyzed it. I can't remember the name but it was one where they supposedly tested the auto braking compared to other cars. Anyways, sure enough video showed the drivers knee moving at the right moment.

Don't these funds just create more synthetic shares?

It's a game of musical chairs, and they don't want to be the one without a chair when the music stops (ie: when an external counting of total shares in circulation is forced by Tesla's share issuing Agent, Compushare, and put into the market via the DTCC).

No honor among thieves: they'd gladly sell their grandmother (or your's) for a dollar.

When a CEO suddenly sells a huge number of shares a rational investor will question it. If you want to stubbornly pretend it's a meaningless event you can scroll past all discussion of it.

So, if you sold 4%, that would be a HUGE number and irrational, would it? 🤷‍♂️

I'll continue to pretend that 4 parts of 100 is not a huge amount of the whole.

Edit: for additional perspective, he sold 0.07 percent of the total number of TSLA shares. Generally, when one delves into the hundredths of one percent it is often considered a minuscule portion of the whole.

Last edited:
Musk is selling for a reason. He committed to buying twitter, market has tanked BIG time, and so some investors might have backed out and that means he has to put a bigger portion on the table for the buyout offer.

So what is Musk supposed to do otherwise if the court forces him to go through with the offer? And you know what, if more investors back out, then don't be surprised that he may have to sell more.

That seems unlikely, as two people have signed affidavits that the accelerator was not being pushed during the test. Of course, what are the penalties for lying in an affidavit? Which the driver 100% did, by saying he followed instructions for the full test, but never had his hands on the wheel. (So maybe both lying about the accelerator use isn't so far fetched.)
If Tesla could identify the car used for the test, then they could get the logs.

Regardless, it is very easy for others to repeat a similar test, and debunk the claims made for this test.

Yeah I echo these feelings. Honestly, since everything last winter and going through all of that, I have no emotion now regarding performance of the stock. My holdings in this company are multiple thousands of shares and I really just don’t care anymore. I won’t sell, but I’ve become numb to this entire emotional drama everyday now practically.

Take heart. As I recall your situation, you are still in the accumulation phase—keep squirreling away shares. My largest early-ish buy was mostly underwater for a couple of years. I’d had an “Ah Ha!" moment and fear of missing out, but I don’t regret that buy at all. And I got better at timing my buys.

Here’s the thing: Nobody knows how to value Tesla, nobody. Why not? Because doing so accurately—or at least in an agreed upon way—requires an accurate estimate of future earnings. The issue isn’t so much that it is difficult to estimate the future vehicle earnings of Tesla (and energy and insurance and …), which it is. The crux of the challenge lies in the rapid revolutions within the business. Elon’s thinking appears to me to have been changing, as presumably has that of many of the rest of Tesla’s, SpaceX’s, etc. executives, as his companies move along.

Tesla’s EV’s are taking the world market by storm. Yet, robotaxi’s present a greater opportunity and their advent will affect the vehicle market in perhaps somewhat but not entirely predictable ways. People snickered when Elon stressed the point in an earnings call. He doesn’t seem to push the narrative that much, but boy are they working on FSD.

Now people snicker about Optimus. Yet these people too miss the point: What matters is the general purpose ‘vision stack’ that Tesla has been creating. I have a well known friend from graduate school who insists that creating practical robots is "a perception problem"—by which he means relative to vision all else is fairly trivial. Optimus sidesteps battery cost and availability issues relative to its addressable market (certainly in comparison to automotive).

Further, not only is Optimus free of the regulatory hurtles that robotaxi’s face, Tesla can use Optimus in an environment they control, their own factories, so they can simplify things for Optimus in these early days. How does one estimate the future earnings of Optimus (cue the religious squabbling)?

What more is on the horizon? In the last few moments of the video of the shareholders’ meeting, Elon made a seemingly throw away comment to the effect that people did not grasp how "transformational" Boring tunnels would be. I’ve not seen a single summary of the meeting that mentions this. I only noticed it because I was looking for it as I have been wondering to what extent Elon himself realized it.

People cling to inadequate valuation models in the way that early Mediterranean and other sailors kept within sight of shore. It feels comfortable and safer when you lack the tools to tackle the uncertainty of ranging over the open seas. Yet, it does little good when thinking about those who do not lack those tools, e.g Elon’s armada of innovative titans-in-the-making and the synergies between them.

The profound challenge of forming a consensus valuation (among other reasons) means that Tesla’s stock is ripe for manipulation through the dissemination of conflicting narratives. This is frustrating and wearing. It is in part intended to be so, so as to separate you from your shares. Hold on to every one: Each is a golden ticket.

Well, that's hard to say. Elon's record of amazing returns for investors speaks for itself. I think this whole thing was a fool's errand but if it closes I'll have to grab some Twitter stock and maybe grab a quick 2-4x once he makes some basic changes to the company.

The "quick 2-4x" part of your comment implies that you are unaware that Elon intends to take Twitter private, and that there will be no TWTR shares to trade for a quick buck, going forward:

Maybe in 5 years or so, Twitter might re-IPO. But Elon's also said similar about Starlink, so no certainty there. In the meantime, you're likely to be treated the same as SpaceX investors and employees, who have bi-annual "liquidity events" which allow them to buy or sell private shares, but at a price strictly determined by an external auditor.

Doesn't sound like a "quick buck" to me.

It's not objective reality until the court says Elon made a mistake and/or we can look at it with years of hindsight.

It's purely too soon to tell if this is a good decision with a messy appearance or a bad decision with a messy appearance.

Anyone being truly objective is undecided at this point.

Whether he ends up acquiring Twitter or not, it's been bad for Tesla and Tesla shareholders. I don't need a court to tell me this has been a show.

I am a huge Tesla fan. Obviously, Tesla and Musk have done some amazing things, but he also sometimes makes mistakes:

• The "funding secured" tweet, whether or not he thought it was true at the time, was a bad idea.
  • Calling that dude a pedophile on Twitter was a bad idea.
  • Buying a billion dollars of Bitcoin with Tesla's spare cash at about $33,000 then selling it at about $30,000 was a bad idea (for more reasons than simple finance).
  • Backing himself into the risk of being forced to buy a company he doesn't want at a price it's not worth is also a bad idea.

I want the man to focus on the mission. The misadventures above ain't it.

Last edited:
Hopefully this mean Tesla knows from logs that O'Dowd's FSD stunt was indeed a hoax.

Which leads one to consider how this is an example of the quality and effort O'Dowd puts into a scam trying to shame his competition.

It leaves me wondering whether this reflects the amount of thought and attention to detail that goes into his products as well.

Which leads one to consider how this is an example of the quality and effort O'Dowd puts into a scam trying to shame his competition.

It leaves me wondering whether this reflects the amount of thought and attention to detail that goes into his products as well.
Whatever his product may be, he is now gaining more clicks to his website than any time in history. It pays to create controversy with Tesla. I bet you Nikola wouldn't even be around if their con of an ex-CEO didn't sue Tesla for nothing but bs. It put them on the map and literally paid for his mansion.