Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have zero direct evidence of a working prototype, but Tesla is hosting AI Day 2 on September 30th which is only six weeks away, the promotional image for the event depicts robotic hands and Elon unambiguously confirmed that we’ll get a “sneak preview” of Optimus. AI Day was postponed to Sep 30th in the first place to increase the likelihood of being able to show off a functional prototype.

At a minimum this presumably means that many of the subsystems are working fairly well, if not yet the whole robot, because he would probably not say that if in reality “nothing approaching a working prototype exists”.

Investing successfully requires predicting how things will go before getting direct evidence, and making those predictions depends in part on estimating the credibility of statements like this coming from company leadership.

So yeah exactly like I said. Zero evidence. Just wishful thinking.

Reactions: Matias
Let's just hope the presentation doesn't go in the opposite direction like the Cybertruck armored windows fiasco with Optimus ripping off both of Elon's arms as he tries to demonstrate a simple task of shaking hands.

It won't rip off his arms because they designed it to be mechanically weak in many ways. But it could grab his hand and not let go. So worst case is it grabs his hand, doesn't let go, someone has to come shut it down and reboot it or use a manual release.

Let's just hope the presentation doesn't go in the opposite direction like the Cybertruck armored windows fiasco with Optimus ripping off both of Elon's arms as he tries to demonstrate a simple task of shaking hands.
I've seen that movie.
1660841476139.png

Apple's iPhone will literally look like a child's toy phone next to the TeslaBot. When Elon's vision comes true for the Bot it will dwarf the iPhone in every respect. Most definitely it'll be the most important Tesla product post 2030.

I agree with this, AS LONG AS Tesla can successfully make Optimus as they envision it. If successful this could be one of the greatest inventions of all time and the largest boon to TSLA in the company's history, BUT there is always the chance their vision does not succeed too. Victory is not guaranteed, although I do believe they will pull it off.

I think we'll have a much better comprehension of the product after AI Day 2, particularly to it's development progress.

I agree with this, AS LONG AS Tesla can successfully make Optimus as they envision it. If successful this could be one of the greatest inventions of all time and the largest boon to TSLA in the company's history, BUT there is always the chance their vision does not succeed too. Victory is not guaranteed, although I do believe they will pull it off.

I think we'll have a much better comprehension of the product after AI Day 2, particularly to it's development progress.
My only input in the discussion.

Making Optimus functional and productive is exponentially easier than FSD. The dynamics at play are nothing alike. Making Optimus a highly efficient and more production factory line worker than human is not even in the same class as getting FSD is 99.9999%

I actually expect Optimus progress, productiveness, and abilities to leapfrog FSD over the next one to two years. I’m actually surprised more people don’t get this 🤷

These kinds of posts are just silly when we have heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING regarding actual specs or capabilities and seen zero evidence anything approaching a working prototype exists. Just pure fantasy. Feel free to project your own frothy fantasies but that’s all you are doing. There’s no meaningful discussion to have on this topic.

We need to have a higher standard for what constitutes credible investment criteria.
Agree on the no published specs part, as for "seen zero evidence anything approaching a working prototype exists" also having any significance, I'll just leave this here...

Was the take town video of Musk by William Shatner on the Daily Show the other night not mentioned here? While it skewers Musk and plays fast and loose with facts, it's hilarious in parts. 9 minutes of time I won't get back. But with that audience not sure it hurts in the end. It will reinforce the haters views if they stayed up late enough to watch it or streamed it like I did. But younger folks may find him even more interesting.

I wouldn't worry too much about the current cultural relevance of the Daily Show. Their viewership has been dropping for years. They're pretty much at the bottom of the Late Night ratings, with about 400k viewers:
I watched the segment myself. It will resonate with uninformed people that hate Elon for other reasons, but not much else. Shameful of them to use clips from O'Dowd.

Last edited:
Very skeptical about Optimus progress. Disagree it's easier than still non-functional FSD. Road environment and rules much more constrained than the rest of physical reality. Agree that easiest Optimus application would be a well constrained environment like a Tesla factory floor, but even then...
Road environments are absolutely not more constrained.

Just an example. For Optimus to be a productive and efficient factory worker, there’s only an X number of machines it needs to learn to function. It then only needs to be able to learn the factory floor environment, which does not change very often. It’s working in a relatively static environment with machinery that doesn’t change often

That dynamic doesn’t even remotely compare to the random elements that FSD could and will encounter on a single drive. Not even close

So yeah exactly like I said. Zero evidence. Just wishful thinking.
Imagine the CEO and Chief Product Architect of a company publicly announces something like “So...remember that big highly-publicized engineering recruiting presentation and Q&A we held last year in which we announced a new product that we had been secretly working on with all our best engineers and then at the end of the presentation explicitly invited exceptional engineers around the world to apply to help on the project? Remember how we said it had become our #1 top priority for research and development? Remember how we announced shortly after the recruiting event that it was a smashing success and the job application rate had increased 100-fold? Well guess what: we’re going to do a sequel recruitment event in a few months, we’ll give a sneak preview of the product with cool and exciting updates, and hopefully we will be able to demonstrate a working prototype by then!”

Imagine also that this company and its leader have an extensive track record of announcing technology goals that sound impossible and the later achieving the targets, as well as an extensive track record of attracting incredible engineers and giving them an amazing work environment for ambitious nerds.

Does that sound like a situation where the product development is actually still in the pure fantasy stage, that the prototype is not even approaching functionality, and the whole thing is nothing more than wishful thinking?

Furthermore, does that give you the right to insult and belittle somebody who doesn’t believe that and who, as a rare contributor to this community, might be nervous about sharing their thoughts?

Last edited:
You said that it was not anything approaching a functional prototype and that it merely was pure fantasy.

Imagine the CEO and Chief Product Architect of a company publicly announces something like “Remember that project we announced last year that we had been secretly working on with all our best engineers and then ended the event by saying the whole thing was intended for hiring excellent engineers to help with developing it? Remember how we said it has become our top priority for research and development? Well guess what: we’re going to do Part 2 of that recruitment event in a few months, we’ll give a sneak preview of the product with cool and exciting updates, and hopefully we will be able to demonstrate a working prototype at the event!”

Imagine also that this company and its leader have an extensive track record of announcing technology goals that sound impossible and the later achieving the targets.

Does that sound like a situation where the product development is actually still in the pure fantasy stage, that the prototype is not even approaching functionality, and the whole thing is nothing more than wishful thinking?

Furthermore, does that give you the right to insult and belittle somebody who doesn’t believe that and who, as a rare contributor to this community, might be nervous about sharing their thoughts?
Roadster 2

My only input in the discussion.

Making Optimus functional and productive is exponentially easier than FSD. The dynamics at play are nothing alike. Making Optimus a highly efficient and more production factory line worker than human is not even in the same class as getting FSD is 99.9999%

I actually expect Optimus progress, productiveness, and abilities to leapfrog FSD over the next one to two years. I’m actually surprised more people don’t get this 🤷
I have thought about the "machine friendly world" , it's parameters and consequences, for some time. You are right, Optimus will initially exist in a tailored environment performing specific tasks that currently require human agility and senses. It will excel right out of the gate at it's intended function.
Optimus that will walk the dog, pickup tonight's groceries, make dinner and burp the baby is a long way down the road from now. Know the difference!

Agree on the no published specs part, as for "seen zero evidence anything approaching a working prototype exists" also having any significance, I'll just leave this here...
Exactly. At the time they had a human dancer dressed up in an Optimus outfit, doing a little demo/dance routine... who was under the impression they were just then sitting down to make Optimus? It's more probable they had already been working on it. Just nothing show-worthy. One year is a long time in Tesla Land, and there are no rules, no accepted practices for humanoid robot production - and the prototype team are probably quite motivated.

Just watched "Autoline Daily." According to the NHTSA, the current death rate on the roads is 1.25 per 100 million miles driven. (7% higher than last year)

It so happens that FSD Beta has had about 100 million miles driven. With zero deaths, and I'm willing to guess zero injuries, zero serious crashes and perhaps zero minor crashes. (Yes there have been a lot of scrapes and kerbed alloys)

I'm suspicious this is the actual reason why.

My speculation:

30th September is coincidentally the last day of Q3, and by the time AI Day 2.0 airs, the end quarter delivery push will be complete.

I suspect that HW4 will have started shipping by 30th September on deliveries going forward and the timing here is to avoid Osborne effect.

Similar happened with Autonomy day in 2019.... HW3 had just started shipping already by the time that event came round

Still expect Optimus preview, but I suspect that is not the main reason at play here.

Speculation ends.
I like your thinking, but I don’t think this is the reason

Tesla isn’t worried about Osborning their current deliveries. Demand is just too strong at the moment. Maybe a handful of die hards will delay, but can’t see a ton of that, particularly when they have Hertz and Autonomy out there sucking up all the cars they can get their hands on. If Tesla wanted to dump a bunch of cars with HW3, Hertz would gobble them up.

These kinds of posts are just silly when we have heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING regarding actual specs or capabilities and seen zero evidence anything approaching a working prototype exists. Just pure fantasy. Feel free to project your own frothy fantasies but that’s all you are doing. There’s no meaningful discussion to have on this topic.

We need to have a higher standard for what constitutes credible investment criteria.

I would add some further caution, that the Tesla-bot will most likely have a similar release schedule/timeline as FSD.
As a reminder: FSD had not only working prototype hardware, but also consumer-product release hardware since 2016, that is 6 years!
Yet, the software is still in restricted participation beta. I expect the Tesla-bot to be also released in hardware first with rudimentary software which then gets updated many times regularly as the NN is trained with more and more collected data from the hardware operating. Also note, that FSD had 3+ hardware revisions since that original release in addition to the many many software revisions.