Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gary believes Tesla shipped so many cars at the end of Q3 because the China Model Y is priced too high to qualify for the Chinese government rebate, so people are waiting for Tesla to drop the price, thus demand has fallen. I feel he might have a good point honestly. China demand has obviously fallen to some degree, whether that is due to their economic problems or the China MY being priced too high is unknown.
How many cars are so many?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Nice, another one overhang gone! Super excited to see what Elon can do with Twitter. Gonna reach out to thetalkingmule@twitter today with a cash offer for the handle.

Covid (as I sit here with covid)
Runaway oil
Twitter

Rampant Inflation
Putin

We might have these all crossed off by Thanksgiving, and fully behind us by Groundhog Day. Onward and upward!

Is the overhang gone though? If we have to believe Gary Black then Elon still has to sell $2 billion of stock to reach the amount he needs for a takeover at $54.20. If that is true the stock will be paralysed until earnings, because Elon cannot sell before earnings.

He may even kill a rally that follows a good earnings report if he uses it to sell. Past experience shows he will likely simply dump his shares at the earliest opportunity and get it over with.

So let’s hope Gary is wrong and Elon soon tweets he already has enough funds.

It'll be good to get Twitter nonsense out of the way before quarterly results are out.

Solid chance most/ all of the bad news for the quarter is priced in after this Monday's collapse and the actual earnings will be fine. Getting rid of the negative overhang from Twitter as well will be a big relief and if earnings are bang up in spite of the deliveries number (maybe?), should clear the way for a decent run into 4Q. If this quarter's earnings turn out to be mediocre then all the more reason to have this out of the way.

I personally don't care much if Musk buying Twitter is "Good" or "Bad", it was hurting Tesla short term so it'll be nice to have this behind us. The timing here for us as shareholders would work out well. Better would have been this being done 6 months ago, but today, prior to earnings is as good as we can get at this point.

Is the overhang gone though? If we have to believe Gary B. then Elon still has to sell $2 billion of stock to reach the amount he needs for a takeover at $54.20. If that is true the stock will be paralysed until earnings, because Elon cannot sell before earnings.

Yep, if the deal is happening then Elon will need to sell $2 billion worth of shares. Again. Unless some new investors step up to cover but I do not see that being likely.

The TWTR overhang will still be with us until right after earnings at least. Possibly even a bit longer than that. And we can expect some more share selling by Elon which will of course drive us down even further. It will probably offset any gains we make from ER, so.....yay.

You are asking for perfection that even human can’t do. I would be ecstatic if Optimus can water my plants when I am away!
It's possibly Tesla Heresy but there are phone apps that identify plants and diseases/problems. Were this retired engineer an engineer at Tesla I'd suggest a port for phone apps such that N such useful apps could be interfaced to Optimus and give it the knowhow. Pay a license fee to app owner.
Easy to say. Really tough to do.

Is the overhang gone though? If we have to believe Gary B. then Elon still has to sell $2 billion of stock to reach the amount he needs for a takeover at $54.20. If that is true the stock will be paralysed until earnings, because Elon cannot sell before earnings. He may even kill a rally following a good earnings report.
Yup. Only way this isn't a hangover on the stock until 3 days after earnings is if terms of the deal are disclosed and Elon states that he has other investors lined up.
Yep, if the deal is happening then Elon will need to sell $2 billion worth of shares. Again. Unless some new investors step up to cover but I do not see that being likely.

The TWTR overhang will still be with us until right after earnings at least. Possibly even a bit longer than that.
I don't really agree with that at all. Is Elon overpaying for Twitter and thus any investor coming in overpaying? Absolutely

But it's really a get in now or don't until Twitter re IPO's in 3-5 years like Elon stated. If you're a big whale that thinks Elon will clean house in Twitter, turn it into leaner company that has greater influence and thus much better growth and revenue.....then you're absolutely willing to overpay right now.

The TWTR overhang will still be with us until right after earnings at least. Possibly even a bit longer than that. And we can expect some more share selling by Elon which will of course drive us down even further. It will probably offset any gains we make from ER, so.....yay.
We will get some filings around the announcement that should clear that up. Entirely possible we know by mid next week if a sale will happen.

2B should be easily had by EM without selling. Even if he did sell, it would be a days worth, versus the relentless hammering we received in the past.

I think people are just really pissed right now that this stock can't get a head of steam without some daily controversy sabotaging it all and are voting with their feet. I could call them short sighted...

Is the overhang gone though? If we have to believe Gary B. then Elon still has to sell $2 billion of stock to reach the amount he needs for a takeover at $54.20. If that is true the stock will be paralysed until earnings, because Elon cannot sell before earnings. He may even kill a rally that follows a good earnings report if he uses it to sell. Past experience shows he will likely simply dump his shares at the earliest opportunity and get it over with.

So let’s hope Elon soon tweets he already has enough funds.
Who ya gonna believe, Gary (demand king) Black or Elon (been there done that) Musk?
On being asked in August if he was done selling.
Yes.
In the (hopefully unlikely) event that Twitter forces this deal to close *and* some equity partners don’t come through, it is important to avoid an emergency sale of Tesla stock.

TMC right on cue with a condensing post 🥴 😅 This place never fails to have plenty of condensing people. Only TMC will tell an employee that part of their compensation that they rightfully are entitled since they work at a company is something they should be "thankful to have"

How's the view up there from your high horse?

Beam me up Scotty! I want to experience this condensing myself!

Who ya gonna believe, Gary (demand king) Black or Elon (been there done that) Musk?
On being asked in August if he was done selling.

Exactly. Everyone worrying about Elon selling 2 billion more when the reality could just as likely be that those other investors decide to go through with their planned part and then Elon has anywhere from 2-15 billion to put back into TSLA

2B should be easily had by EM without selling. Even if he did sell, it would be a days worth, versus the relentless hammering we received in the past.

I think people are just really pissed right now that this stock can't get a head of steam without some daily controversy sabotaging it all and are voting with their feet. I could call them short sighted...

A friend convinced me to grab a bit of TQQQ shares 1 week ago because QQQ was oversold and anything bought today will be +100% in the next 1-2 years. Since it’s already +10% since I bought it and TSLA is -15% I feel like selling it to buy more TSLA. But then how low could TSLA go if the front runners sell before Elon sell his extra 2B required for the deal. Every red day we are red and Every good green macro day we are red too. Soon CGS will look like a Genius.

Reactions: traxila

Pretty much. TSLA and especially Elon have lost faith and especially patience with investors . I doubt even investment grade rating would cause a large of % of institutional investors to buy in this quarter. I'm expecting TSLA to be dead money till Q1 at this point

Is the overhang gone though? If we have to believe Gary B. then Elon still has to sell $2 billion of stock to reach the amount he needs for a takeover at $54.20. If that is true the stock will be paralysed until earnings, because Elon cannot sell before earnings. He may even kill a rally that follows a good earnings report if he uses it to sell. Past experience shows he will likely simply dump his shares at the earliest opportunity and get it over with.
Overhang being gone far far exclipses a measly $2B potential sale. Especially after so many $6B sales and earnings so close.

I think what we've seen yesterday and today is also a component of that $2B. If you think about it. Clearly folks knew about this Twitter decision at the open Monday.

I'm excited to move forward. I think with a bit more positive Fed news we're ready to rip.

Reactions: wtlloyd
  • Informative
Reactions: betstarship
You are asking for perfection that even human can’t do. I would be ecstatic if Optimus can water my plants when I am away!
Hardly perfection and no more than I do myself for my houseplants. It takes little practice to identify drooping leaves or to learn that water makes soil darker. It doesn’t take an expert eye to distinguish between a dying plant and a thriving one. Most anyone can figure out if a plant is responding well to their care.

Plants are living things. Each species has its own specific requirements to thrive. While homes and buildings offer more hospitable (for some plants) and less changeable environments than the outdoors, their own environments fluctuate across days and seasons.

Sure, watering while you are away is great. And as I suggested, maybe Optimus could provide a low, but not entirely useless level of care. However, most people would expect Optimus to take over the watering on an on-going basis. I don’t think Tesla intended for people to conclude that Optimus was competent to do so yet.

Optimus identified a watering can…it picked it up…it tilted the can and, perhaps, poured water into a planter. That’s what we saw. I’m impressed by that. I expect Tesla to focus on other tasks, but have no doubt they could make Optimus more competent to water plants by hand if they so desired.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Unless they filed a plan in advance, which they're not required to tell you until 2 days after the sale of shares.
Can you verify that? I would think that a 10b5-1 plan would, as a matter of course, exclude those periods ( i.e., 15 days prior to end of quarter until 2 days after disclosure of Q results ), but I very easily could be wrong. After doing a bit of research, the only thing I could find relative to establishing, or utilizing a 10b5-1 during a blackout period is this:

Can a Rule 10b5‐1 plan be established during, or designed to permit transactions during, a company blackout period?
An employee or director should review the company’s insider trading policy to determine whether the company permits establishment of a plan during a blackout period or permits trades during a blackout period pursuant to a plan. It is up to the Company whose shares are being traded. IANAL, but it would be prudent not to allow trading during these blackout periods, except in unusual circumstances.