Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like we are setting up for a historic buying opportunity. I am really tempted to cash out my slow growing IRAs despite the tax penalty, as a better long term play with more liquidity. These bears are a getting so fat and juicy on the fear in this market. Hunting them and eating them is going to be so tasty. Just have to figure how to find the bottom or near bottom.
I've never tasted "bear" before, but I look forward to a large portion of dead bears during Q2 or Q3 of 2023. Mmm, mmm, good!

Last edited:
Remember our good friends the MMs have the ability to view in real time the stop loss orders and buy orders. So if they see tons of stops at $123... and the bulk of buy orders at $120... they will manipulate the price between those two.
The bottom IMHO will be whatever the massive bulk of buy orders is priced at, which they can see in real time.
So for example if it's $110... if the price goes that low, you would see a strong upside to the SP that would trigger the puts to close out, then catapult the price even higher.
Bottom line, traditional share holders are safe, as long as you don't have any upcoming short term needs that would require selling.
Best of luck to us all, and Happy Holidays.
A glass or two of red wine seems to help on days like these.
They will end...

what kind of hedge do you suggest? I bought some VIX calls for January. I am on margin with only shares now.

Puts, short calls would be how I do it. I am not a fan of hedging with other tickers. There are scenarios where TSLA is down and VIX trades sideways, or even goes down a bit in January. Look at VIX and TSLA over the last three months.

Yeah I definitely feel the same. RSI is so far beyond oversold that it would be natural for there to be a bounce next week or after P/D numbers...only for further selling pressure to be back on the stock. It's amazing the stock has gone this long without any sort of bounce.

What's amazing is the timing for Elon selling right when the market bounced recently, preventing TSLA from participating. If not for that, we would have gotten the bounce.

CT is a first principles design that's all about form following function, more than any other production vehicle ever made. It matters for investing because this is the fundamental reason why no one can compete with the specs and functional utility of CT without ripping off the design concept with basically an exact copy.

Franz Von Holzhausen said as much in his recent interview with CNBS.

The other huge advantage of the wedge shape and structural skin, which Franz did not mention, is the superior strength-to-weight ratio of that geometry. The truck's triangular shape makes it essentially the structural equivalent of a simple four-post truss bridge. Triangles are strong. Putting the structural mass on the exterior of the vehicle also helps majorly with stiffness, especially torsional rigidity. Modern aircraft are designed with exoskeletons for this very same reason: it's lightweight and provides a sturdy skin for impact resistance.

This wedge exoskeloton design is physically required to achieve the crazy 3500-lbs payload rating the CT has without cheating on vehicle weight or sacrificing range or other important specs. 3500 lbs is about double the payload capacity of a comparable F-150 with a crew cab and 6.5-foot bed.

Connecting the Dots put together a fantastic presentation in this video going over the engineering of the structure that everyone should watch if they want to understand the physics of why the Cybertruck will dominate.

The aero benefit is huge too. Aerospace engineer Justin Martin did a CFD simulation after the reveal and found that it was in fact very slippery. Elon responded that the drag coefficient could get down to 0.30 with enough optimization. The main reason for this is that CT's side profile is basically in the shape of an aerofoil like an airplane's wing if it had to be planar. This makes up for the disadvantages of the sharp edges and the net result is the CT might be the most aerodynamic pickup ever, with only the Rivian R1T coming close.

View attachment 887941

Read Musks quote again. They put in extreme effort to make that shape work. The shape did not become what it is thru CFD but the opposite. Like the other thing don't get defensive on the CT, I'm not making a point on that. Just countering someone elses opinion cuz they miss the crucial point that the shape of the CT is an abritrary one purely for the look. They made everything else fit around that.

You can make a brick slip thru the air you know? Look at the Rivians, huge amount of time spent smoothing flow over a brick.

CNBC sells news, it's commerce.

1671735881625.png

My current trading strategy is now to apply for jobs. I can't know how long this nonsense will last, I've had a year off from employment, and I have passed my level of safety margin on liquid wealth outside tax-advantaged retirement accounts. I would much rather be aggressively buying than selling right now. I will pause posting or reading here probably for at least a week.

My current trading strategy is now to apply for jobs. I can't know how long this nonsense will last, I've had a year off from employment, and I have passed my level of safety margin on liquid wealth outside tax-advantaged retirement accounts. I would much rather be aggressively buying than selling right now. I will pause posting or reading here probably for at least a week.
I don't think you're alone in this man...

I would recommend a combination of CC's and bearish put spreads, expiring on March OPEX. Now, if Q4 P&D shows, says, 440k, then we'll re-examine the chart. It's gonna be more tricky if we get to 160 before P&D.
Have you been been selling covered calls, buying protective puts, or any other defensive options strategies you can share with us? Thanks for any insights you can share that might help TMC to HODL with fewer injuries over the next few months.

Good luck, man! Praying you get the best of the best jobs out there that fits you well and allows for many future TSLA purchases :)

Last edited:
Have you been been selling covered calls, buying protective puts, or any other defensive options strategies you can share with us? Thanks for any insights you can share that might help TMC to HODL with fewer injuries over the next few months.
I think this conversation going forward should migrate to the other thread. We have charts and plays there.