Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or a RWD Y 5 seater with the 4680 under $55K.

They will probably just make the 7 seat standard on the AWD LR Y as this is what everyone will order as you net $4500. A few seats is probably $400-500 cost. Our government at work.

Reuters: "Tesla to Build Landfill Full of Discarded 3rd Row Seats Using Sudanese Child Laborers."

A new Twitter CEO, and 9 other things Elon Musk should do to revive Tesla investors’ faith in stock, according to an analyst​

(Dan Ives)

Priority No. 1? “Name a CEO of Twitter by the end of January.”

Priority No. 2, Ives said, was: “Stop selling stock and no more boy that cried wolf or Pinocchio situation.”

Priority No. 3 involves cutting back on Musk’s typically aggressive growth forecasts for Tesla. “Lay out conservative 2023 delivery and targets given the darker macro,” he wrote. “The 50% growth target is not happening in our opinion, with 35%+ delivery growth a more hittable and realistic goal for 2023.”

No. 4 on that list called for greater attention on Tesla, rather than Twitter

No. 5 called for announcing Cybertruck deliveries will begin by the end of next year, amid concerns about competition and production

No. 6 called for changes to Tesla’s board to add more people with experience in tech and electric vehicles.

No. 7: A big share buyback.

No. 8: More financial metrics and “transparency” around margins.

Amazingly, the number in the headlines does not match what he number in the article.

Edit: rearranged link to make sure people didn’t think these were my opinions.

Last edited:
Yes.

It is reasonable to expect a ramp-up over several quarters.
Thanks. I assume they will eventually ramp up to capacity also. Wondering where they are currently and how long a ramp would take in terms of cell supply. The link doesn't specifically address those questions. Important since there is a discussion on twitter being hyped about Tesla Energy, especially for 2023. I'd love for it to be true, but Tesla energy has been trying to ramp for a long time and I wonder how reasonable it is for when meaningful profits could flow into this division.

Institutions loaded up huge on Tesla shares. [Edit: I think this is wrong - the percentages almost for sure did not take into account of the stock split. 600M shares x 3 would be 1.8B shares (vs 1.586B). So the institutions actually sold, meaning retail investors bought.]

Way back machine: Oct 29, 2022 -
Institutional Shares (Long)617,932,989 - 19.57% (ex 13D/G) - change of shares - change of % MRQ

Nov 10, 2022
Institutional Shares (Long)749,381,511 - 23.73% (ex 13D/G) - change of shares - change of % MRQ

Current: Dec 29, 2022
Institutional Shares (Long)1,586,542,149 - 50.24% (ex 13D/G) - change of shares - ch

Source: Fintel

1672359733904.png

Last edited:
Someone is confused, it's the Commercial Clean Vehicle Credit that bypasses the mineral requirements, not the use of a lease.
Normal consumers shouldn't have access to it.
Specifically: "(4) is of a character subject to the allowance for depreciation."
The issue is that Treasury Dept. has determined that leasing IS a commercial use. Thus, leasing companies are eligible for the CCVC, which they may pass along to the consumer in the form of reduced lease payments. See Topic G, on the last three pages of the IRS fact sheet:

This seems to negate all of the IRA's new requirements - maximum MSRP, domestic manufacture, and income limits - if the EV is leased, rather than purchased. This would have large implications for both Tesla and foreign EV makers.

What am I missing???

Institutions loaded up huge on Tesla shares.

Source: Fintel

View attachment 890215

do those numbers take splits into account? the huge jumps makes it look like it is using number of shares at that particular time, not split adjusted. eg it took a huge step up about 5x number of shares around the time of the 5-1 split. similar for the 3-1 split

Mach-E owner "I am going to throw this in the trash and go get a Tesla" after waiting in line trying to charge and all the stations are down.

This is a major issue in the U.S and kudos to Kyle who puts in the hard work trying to make the network better by blasting all of these other company's. Good video to watch if you want to learn about how 3rd party networks operate and what people felt the past week owning an EV. It's not pretty and many are going back to gas.

The issue is that Treasury Dept. has determined that leasing IS a commercial use. Thus, leasing companies are eligible for the CCVC, which they may pass along to the consumer in the form of reduced lease payments. See Topic G, on the last three pages of the IRS fact sheet:

This seems to negate all of the IRA's new requirements - maximum MSRP, domestic manufacture, and income limits - if the EV is leased, rather than purchased. This would have large implications for both Tesla and foreign EV makers.

What am I missing???
Thanks for that.
I was misreading the clause as purchase or lease, not to use or lease out.

"meets the requirements of section 30D(d)(1)(C) and is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer and not for resale"

What am I missing???
This would be a giant head fake. That would mean the leasing agency would collect the rebate, not the consumer.

That has always been the case with the tax credit. In the past most companies have passed the credit, or at least most of it, on to the lessor.
It has. But then we had all the "big changes" enacted with the recent IRA legislation. Now, it seems those changes have been effectively overturned by the IRS - all you need to do is lease to get around those new rules. That's why Senator Manchin has been begging for different regulation and threatening new legislation (good luck with that, Senator Joe!).

What kind of idiots do we have running our government?