Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now that the ER is out and SP is stabilized (actually goes up from 145 to 150), I feel a little bit relaxed to post. I personally think that the $25,000 vehicle is not a very good idea, at least using current technology (i.e., battery).
1. For $25,000, the performance of the car will be much lower than Model 3 RW, and mostly importantly, use a small battery and thus a very low range.
2. For some reason Chinese car makers are already able to sell cars in that range, or even lower. I don't see Tesla can take any advantage on that segment (in China) Many Chinese investors are yelling that sell cheap car in China only lower the brand name and image.
3. The initial capital expense is large, but the margin is low.
4. I just learned that even Toyota Corolla SE cost $28000 in Bay Area, CA. If Tesla keep improving the cost of model 3 and can have a 10-ish% margin to sell it at $30000, Model 3 along will be able to dominate the market. I wonder is it possible.

Where?

I use uber and lyft all the time and never saw someplace to set the temp of the car ahead of time.
I always select music, talking, and temp preferences in my Ubers and Lyfts.

Uber top, Lyft bottom

1713903873729.png

1713903844578.png

What does this mean?
It means:

We have updated our future vehicle line-up to accelerate the launch of new models ahead of our previouslycommunicated start of production in the second half of 2025.These new vehicles, including more affordable models, will utilize aspects of the next generation platform as well asaspects of our current platforms, and will be able to be produced on the same manufacturing lines as our current vehicleline-up.This update may result in achieving less cost reduction than previously expected but enables us to prudently grow ourvehicle volumes in a more capex efficient manner during uncertain times. This would help us fully utilize our currentexpected maximum capacity of close to three million vehicles, enabling more than 50% growth over 2023 productionbefore investing in new manufacturing lines.Our purpose-built robotaxi product will continue to pursue a revolutionary “unboxed” manufacturing strategy.

What does this mean?

We have updated our future vehicle line-up to accelerate the launch of new models ahead of our previouslycommunicated start of production in the second half of 2025.These new vehicles, including more affordable models, will utilize aspects of the next generation platform as well asaspects of our current platforms, and will be able to be produced on the same manufacturing lines as our current vehicleline-up.This update may result in achieving less cost reduction than previously expected but enables us to prudently grow ourvehicle volumes in a more capex efficient manner during uncertain times. This would help us fully utilize our currentexpected maximum capacity of close to three million vehicles, enabling more than 50% growth over 2023 productionbefore investing in new manufacturing lines.Our purpose-built robotaxi product will continue to pursue a revolutionary “unboxed” manufacturing strategy

From Page 10
It means Model 2 is dead, instead they'll build lower cost 3/Y variants on existing production lines. These variants might have some newer features, like 48V. They won't be 25k, but probably a few thousand less than current 3/Y. I expect some variants will have body mods, e.g. maybe a Y with a boxier back end to be more SUV-like, maybe a convertible version of 3, etc. Might learn more in the call, but they'll probably use the "no product pre-announcements" dodge.

The Robotaxi will use the new unboxed process.

All the actual #s are awful...including -2.5B FCF.... but this is what likely spiked the stock

Cheaper next gen not only still happening- but sooner than expected- and using existing lines.

(though that reads a lot like it's gonna be some cut down/cheaper 3/Y-- and that unboxed is being saved for a later RT)
Or like what they said, half and half. Probably best to not bet the bank on unboxed and have this next gen hybrid be a pipe cleaner first. Whenever Tesla goes 100% something, it takes forever to work out the kinks.

now that the ER is out and SP is stabilized (actually goes up from 145 to 150), I feel a little bit relaxed to post. I personally think that the $25,000 vehicle is not a very good idea, at least using current technology (i.e., battery).
1. For $25,000, the performance of the car will be much lower than Model 3 RW, and mostly importantly, use a small battery and thus a very low range.
2. For some reason Chinese car makers are already able to sell cars in that range, or even lower. I don't see Tesla can take any advantage on that segment (in China) Many Chinese investors are yelling that sell cheap car in China only lower the brand name and image.
3. The initial capital expense is large, but the margin is low.
4. I just learned that even Toyota Corolla SE cost $28000 in Bay Area, CA. If Tesla keep improving the cost of model 3 and can have a 10-ish% margin to sell it at $30000, Model 3 along will be able to dominate the market. I wonder is it possible.
I think the exact opposite.
  1. Lots of people in Europe would love a smaller Tesla, regardless of price. A cheaper and smaller one would sell very well, and eat into the market currently served by Hyundai, the MG4 and the Nissan Leaf.
  2. Even a zero-margin small compact cheap car is a good long term strategic move. People can use it as an 'entry level' car who may later upgrade to a 3/Y
  3. More sales, again even at zero margin, means more data for FSD, more scale to build out superchargers, and enables super-mass production efficiency for components shared across all models, like the HW4 sensors and computer, and the batteries.
  4. Smaller range is no bad thing. Lots of people want a cheap small 'city' car. Especially in Europe, with a full charge from home, >200 miles range is frankly unnecessary, esp for 2 car families.

It means Model 2 is dead, instead they'll build lower cost 3/Y variants on existing production lines. These variants might have some newer features, like 48V. They won't be 25k, but probably a few thousand less than current 3/Y. I expect some variants will have body mods, e.g. maybe a Y with a boxier back end to be more SUV-like, maybe a convertible version of 3, etc. Might learn more in the call, but they'll probably use the "no product pre-announcements" dodge.

The Robotaxi will use the new unboxed process.
Could this explain the push back of Model Y update? It will more thorough than the Model 3 refresh, with possible 48V architecture.

• Helpful
Reactions: skybluecgreen