Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must say I see really old news in the lower links all the time, even on TMC. Don't know what the algorithm is to determine what is shown, but I don't think it's nefarious.
There seems to be some issue with Investopedia updating a bunch of old articles with today's date, and Yahoo just automatically posts new articles, I guess. Don't know the motivation behind it.

Yeah, Q2 and the summer lull would be the right moment for Elon & friends to pull a rabbit out of the hat with ~$252m+ in GAAP profits, S&P 500 inclusion, which would incidentally also trigger the "short burn of the century":

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Oh and uh short burn of the century comin soon. Flamethrowers should arrive just in time."​

Elon would meet the deadline on Elon Time: summer of 2019 instead of the projected summer of 2018? :D

Well, it also matches the time line of the "Tesla's going out of business" article being rotated back around.

Wait a minute, do you mean the Russ Mitchell of LA Times who in a recent emotional moment declared that he cannot imagine blocking any of the TSLAQ ringleaders ever, while he is blocking hundreds of Tesla fans?

To highlight that tweet by Russ Mitchell @ LA Times again, in full context - Mark B. Spiegel, head TSLAQ ringleader, was incoherently ranting about Tesla bankwuptcy once again:

Mark B. Spiegel on Twitter

"Lol, yes once $TSLA files 11 we'll all be blocking each other... Kind of like when the warring nations of Earth get together to fight the space aliens, then once we've kicked their asses we go back to fighting each other, lol."
And Russ Mitchell @ LA Times replied to Mark B. Spiegel with a passionate message:

Russ Mitchell on Twitter

"I can’t imagine ever blocking any of you."

Where the 'you' must refer to Mark B. Spiegel and the TSLAQ cult, because numerous Tesla supporters are still blocked by Russ Mitchell today, because he is using the TSLAQ Twitter censorship block-list ...

In what world is it OK for a reporter of the LA Times to use the TSLAQ Twitter "enemies list" to block Tesla supporters, and to tweet supportive messages to a deranged, serial misogynistic TSLAQ propagandist??

While I agree with you, based on your conversation with Ivan Penn @ NYT that he was probably caught up in a storm he didn't intend to get caught up in, and I also believe that he is a good guy at heart and has only the best intentions, as @neroden said it was his name on the article, and the "it wasn't me but my [anonymous] editors" defense sounds hollow and is even more damning if true.

I also agree with you that the NYT editorial board and Broder in particular does not have direct influence over anything a NYT reporter writes, and that Patrick Soon-Shiong, owner of the LA Times, probably doesn't have to tell any LA Times reporter that they should not bite the hand that is feeding them, and that ... harsh criticism of a business competitor is not a career ending move either.

I also agree with you that unjustified, over the top criticism of successful reporters is counterproductive, and that the tone of our criticism should always be civilized and should always be rooted in facts, is it your suggestion that we should just sit together and sing Kumbaya, while the TSLAQ terrorists and the many reporters and editors in the mass media aiding and abetting them are pushing a burning world towards the abyss?

I don't expect fair Tesla and green technology coverage from Fox News or redstate.com, but The New York Times and the LA Times are both bastions of the liberal political Zeitgeist, they should be at the front line to inform the public about global warming and the ways to most effectively fight it, such as the electrification of transportation.

Also, we are not asking for much, we are not asking them to (gasp) support Tesla's mission although it would be the morally right thing to do considering their political affiliation - we simply expect these major newspapers to report neutrally and factually about Tesla and EVs in general and not hinder them unfairly.

The negative skew in Tesla and EV reporting is astounding, at the same time the NY Times is misleading readers about nonexistent 5+ hour charge times on a single-recharge road trip to Las Vegas, a Model 3 owner on a Tesla v3 Supercharger demonstrated a charging speed from 10% to 60% (160 miles, 250 kilometers) of around ~12 minutes:

Instead the New York Times and the LA Times are de facto protecting the status quo, disinforming the part of the public that is ready to do something, sometimes in the most horrible ways, and our criticism is not nearly as harsh as the crime that is being committed deserves.
<clap clap clap>

If both Mark BS and Russ were drowning and I am forced by gun point to save one of them, I would reluctantly choose Mark. In the morality scale these reporters are worse than the worst TSLAQ shorters. The shorters, we expect them to lie and commit fraud to make money. That is their job and is in their DNA. The public understands that.

But reporters are supposed to be unbiased. When you see a cop in bed with a pedo or drug peddler, the cop is the bigger criminal.

If this were the case, you'd assume that at least some would be positive. It's hard to imagine every editor being negative. I don't think this passes the sniff test.
I think if you do some more 'sniffing' you'd be surprised at what goes on:

N.Y. Times closes environmental desk | Politico.com | Jan 11, 2013​

Climate change is just a fad, popular with those 'climate' people...

The NY Times doesn't budget resources to report on issues that scare away big advertisers.

Last edited:
Musk , or at least his airplane just landed at rotterdam airport. this is the 2nd time in 2 or 3 months he has gone there. 3rd time inside of year.

Something is going on behind the scenes is my guess. Sure Tesla europe HQ is in the netherlands , but why go there twice in such a short timeframe.

Some speculation on my part, there is going to be a climate package designed to adress and stimulate the energy transition , and combat climate change effects. that package is gonna be presented by the dutch goverment later this week, something tesla sure would fit in nice.... like i said , purely speculation on my part.

My crazy guess for a European GF location is 'Bedrijventerrein Schieveen': Google Maps

Is a plot right next to the airport of 1.6 x 1 km. There were some old plans for a business park at that location.

Won't be easy with all the rules and regulations here, but if I were Elon I would go there (check) and tell the government(s) (national/province/local) that their mission should be aligned with Tesla's or else:
www.floodmap.net.png

Not a threat, just facts... :/

Also plenty of high- and low-skilled labor available. Think of nearby Hyperloop team, Delft Technical University at high-end side, while the Rotterdam region has a relatively high unemployment rate on the low-end side of the workforce.

If it happens there I'll keep you updated, happen to live nearby ;)

That's not the only one. This is in the feed as well:
Tesla CEO Musk Appears to Smoke Weed During Interview
It's also updated today in the byline, but it's about the Joe Rogan interview from last year. Nothing in it says that it's old news, it says "broadcast live Thursday night". I think these two articles are worthy of an SEC complaint.

The name attached to that article is DEBORAH D'SOUZA. Her profile states:

"It's very satisfying to give readers the information they need on market-moving headlines and trends. I also enjoy pulling the curtain back on how companies operate, whether it's how they deal with proposed legislation or public perception. Large corporations occupy such an important place in markets and our culture generally, it's important to condense the complicated information that's out there and provide context and insight."

I think she needs to pull her own curtain back to see if she truly enjoys what she finds...

The name attached to that article is DEBORAH D'SOUZA. Her profile states:

"It's very satisfying to give readers the information they need on market-moving headlines and trends. I also enjoy pulling the curtain back on how companies operate, whether it's how they deal with proposed legislation or public perception. Large corporations occupy such an important place in markets and our culture generally, it's important to condense the complicated information that's out there and provide context and insight."

I think she needs to pull her own curtain back to see if she truly enjoys what she finds...
Elon should do blow like other quality titans of US industry.

Fwed on Electrek reporting 22,000 cars delivered in June in North America as of today. Orders outstripping most optimistic delivery estimates for month's remainder...

I'd love for Tesla to come in higher than 36,000 for NA(and thus, higher than 92k for total deliveries in Q2). Not because I feel like Tesla has to hit 92k for the quarter to justify how discounted the stock is......but for me to be able to troll Fred's comment section on a daily basis to point out how his "sources" were wrong. Practically all of his Tesla articles nowadays comes from unnamed sources. That's some quality journalism there :rolleyes:

Can 100% confirm that there has been deliveries today of both Model 3 SR+ and Model S Raven in Sweden. So they are coming even in north of Europe some distance from port of Zeebrugge :)
This tracker shows 47 SR+ delivered in the Netherlands and 23 in Spain as of yesterday. None in Norway yet, which is impressive as AWD/P deliveries have remained pretty strong.

This tracker shows 47 SR+ delivered in the Netherlands and 23 in Spain as of yesterday. None in Norway yet, which is impressive as AWD/P deliveries have remained pretty strong.

I have a feeling Norway with their winters and the general wealth of the average citizen are going to be almost exclusively AWD/LR/P.

This could explain the slight drop in deliveries this quarter as well for Norway. Tesla is mixing the SR+ more and more in order to get higher production numbers and thus more deliveries are going to other locations that are more suited for demand of SR+

Last edited:
So alternatively I could also buy a Model 3 for €49.000, and buy €100.000 worth of 10-year Treasury Bonds with a 2% yield, which would earn me €2.000 per year, enough for 6 MWh of Supercharging per year, which covers ~30,000 km of driving per year?

As a bonus I'd also get the €100.000 paid back whenever I sell the bonds, in addition to driving a nice looking car.

Stop being disingenuous.

The car is not about saving money on fuel.

It is about developing the tech.

Much like Tesla roadster. Bring out a low volume very expensive car. That pays for a midpriced mid volume car. That leads to a low price high volume car.

People putting down deposits support the mission of Lightyear and it is not really about the 150k Euro car.

That said I don't think the market is there for a vehicle that sacrifices everything for efficiency. It is an ultra niche market and always will be.

I hope I am wrong and they are very successful.

Unfortunately scientists and climate activists used this approach for 40 years to try to get people to recognize and respond to the threat of anthropogenic climate change. Their mistake was assuming that the folks on the other side of the table were arguing in good faith. It was an understandable but naïve mistake made by idealists in a fight against Machiavellian opponents, but it cost us valuable time. No reason to make the same mistake again. We don't need to help news organizations do a better job of covering EVs - we need to make them irrelevant if they do a bad job.
The mistake climate activists made and still make is that they refuse to debate the issue. Name calling and personal attacks do not win over people to your argument. People don't hate Teslas, they hate Tesla owners.

Is anyone getting the sense that the shorts are a little worried? It's been quiet.
The mistake climate activists made and still make is that they refuse to debate the issue. Name calling and personal attacks do not win over people to your argument. People don't hate Teslas, they hate Tesla owners.
I'm not going to debate a highly technical physics/chemistry/meteorological issue with a plumber whose "argument" is all copy/pastes from propaganda blogs. FWIW I don't consider myself qualified to debate that either, I just rely on actual experts and a basic understanding of the science.

It doesn't matter anyway. Everyone who believes climate change is a conspiracy will not be swayed by logic or facts. Dunning-Kruger effect is far too powerful. Those of us who believe climate change is a real problem aren't going to give up and go back to polluting the air either.