Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that's the price its not bad. Of course, we don't know how for sure what the range is and much they are going to charge for options. Could escalate quickly. Will see, I like the interior though. Clearly they know Tesla's minimalist design is the way to go and they are actually designing it like an EV.

First Edition should be close to fully loaded.

Then there is a GT trim that is $60.5k.

300 EPA miles with RWD 270 AWD. 47 miles in 10 minutes charge in ideal conditions.

Base gets smaller battery. I haven't seen range on smaller pack.

This is compelling based on available information. The question is how available will it be?

Sold in CA in compliance numbers(i.e. at a loss) or nationwide in mass market numbers (say 80k/year).

300 EPA miles with RWD 270 AWD. 47 miles in 10 minutes charge in ideal conditions.

This is compelling based on available information. The question is how available will it be?

Sold in CA in compliance numbers(i.e. at a loss) or nationwide in mass market numbers (say 80k/year).

Yea in terms of price and range it really looks like they are trying to go tow to tow with the Model Y. I think the Model Y is actually going to have slightly better specs then what was originally announced when it comes out though.

Overall though if this all holds up pretty good job by Ford. Much better then some of the other auto companies. Hopefully they actually try and sell a lot of them.

I dunno, for the price and with the specs listed and fed rebate, I think it's not bad. My question is how many are they planning on producing?

Model Y of course beats it, haha.

I don't think it's bad either, and that's the problem for legacy OEMs. They have no where to go but electric now. If they don't go all in, they'll die. If they go all in, they'll suffer just as Tesla has.

Looks like a poor copy of the S/X dash
kG7xKws.png

Exterior very Model Y ish

I dunno, for the price and with the specs listed and fed rebate, I think it's not bad. My question is how many are they planning on producing?

Model Y of course beats it, haha.

Pretty non-sucky specs and price, if true. Sounds like a negative-profit vehicle. I wonder how many they are going to produce?

Just remember in that graphic they are mixing and matching the specs. The version with 300 miles of range has a 0-60 time in the mid 6s. And the version that has a 0-60 in the mid 3s only has a range of 235 miles.

Just remember in that graphic they are mixing and matching the specs. The version with 300 miles of range has a 0-60 time in the mid 6s. And the version that has a 0-60 in the mid 3s only has a range of 235 miles.

Yeah sorry but I don't see how the specs match up to Model Y for the prices. The bizarre different configs are there for a reason as you pointed out. In every configuration, there's a pretty significant drawback. Once the tax credit gets halved, the comparison will be even more lopsided

Having said that, I still think it will sell as many as they make while they benefit from the tax credit. Production will be a big question mark but hopefully for Fords sake, they can ramp quickly enough to get economies of scale before the tax credit ends.

Last edited:

At a glance, and factoring in the federal tax credit in the US, the first edition is clearly aimed to compete directly with the Model Y AWD on price, acceleration, and range. Of course it is subpar in each category, but it is close enough to be in the conversation. The interior clearly takes cues from Tesla as well.

Huge grain of salt, but this is a decent competitor if it comes as advertised. I expect the OS to be inferior, and it will obviously lack the extensive autopilot features Tesla offers (not to mention FSD/charging infrastructure). I wonder if OTA updates will be available.

Last edited:
Shorts will say it is as good as Model Y but from an experienced manufacturer. In reality no supercharger network, no OTA, no FSD, slightly worse in every metric, higher TCO and not from a company that has been trying to save the planet.

The base will sell if it is as shown, But that is not for another 15 months. In CA and MD it will be about $35k after fed and state rebates. My thinking is they will not have enough batteries to meet demand. Same with Tesla. It would not be quite as compelling without the $7.5k federal credit.

The base will sell if it is as shown, But that is not for another 15 months. In CA and MD it will be about $35k after fed and state rebates. My thinking is they will not have enough batteries to meet demand. Same with Tesla. It would not be quite as compelling without the $7.5k federal credit.

The main worry if you're Ford is that you cant get the base model ramped up until Q2 or Q3 2021. They say available starting Q1 2021, but I find that hard to believe that they'll be at mass volume production by then. If they don't get to mass production by Q2 2021, their tax credit will be expired and they'll have to compete without it. Issue is that by Q2 2021, Mosel Y will have already been in mass production for 3 quarters or more and Tesla will have huge pricing power against all aut makers including Ford. They could undercut Fords pricing by a large margin or give much much better specs for the same price.

Reactions: capster
The main worry if you're Ford is that you cant get the base model ramped up until Q2 or Q3 2021. They say available starting Q1 2021, but I find that hard to believe that they'll be at mass volume production by then. If they don't get to mass production by Q2 2021, their tax credit will be expired and they'll have to compete without it. Issue is that by Q2 2021, Mosel Y will have already been in mass production for 3 quarters or more and Tesla will have huge pricing power against all aut makers including Ford. They could undercut Fords pricing by a large margin or give much much better specs for the same price.

And this is why competition is a good thing for consumers. I look forward to seeing how the story plays out.

And this is why competition is a good thing for consumers. I look forward to seeing how the story plays out.

Yeah the reason I don't have a lot of hope for traditional auto makers is that Tesla isn't the type of competition that they're used to. Obviously some traditional auto makers will survive because Tesla cant produce for the whole world. Like you said, it will be really interesting to see which ones make it and which ones fold.

Yeah the reason I don't have a lot of hope for traditional auto makers is that Tesla isn't the type of competition that they're used to. Obviously some traditional auto makers will survive because Tesla cant produce for the whole world yet. Like you said, it will be really interesting to see which ones make it and which ones fold.

FTFY

Wow is Credit Suisse going to be disappointed when they learn Ford's Mach-E will not arrive in volume when Ford says it will and it won't have a range of 300 miles and cost between $40,000-$50,000. Someone needs to hold these guys accountable for all their ridiculous statements.

they won’t be disappointed, they’ll just be counting their ShamWow! checks.

we all can recognize that the guys on infomercials pitching their multi-millionaire making real estate systems are not disappointed that the people who order the system don’t really end up on those yachts in the infomercial... I don’t see any reason the media and analyst ShamWow! game would be any different.

It seems like he's making this stuff up as he goes. A week or so ago someone else was talking about the importance of havings stops when you're shorting, and then turned to Tim and put him on the spot to ask where his stop was with TSLA. He said $315 - $320 while appearing to be making it up on the spot. Now a week later and he's saying the opposite: "you don't have a stop on a volatile stock like this!". As if stops are only appropriate for low beta stocks where they have no chance of kicking in. Rephrasing his advice: "You don't have stops on a stock that might actually shoot up and burn you".

What a stuttering response. I never liked that putz...I hope he double and triple and quadruple's down....and them looses his pretty shirt's...all of them.

Almost certainly just an act to pound out fossil fuel economy talking points... Elon/Tesla/and their products are shady, unstable and definitely nothing you want to be involved with.