Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla apparently went from clay prototype to actual car demo in a very short time. Why the rush? The vehicle isn’t coming out for two years and there’s nothing else coming out soon that will rival it.

Could Tesla be ready to partner with GM on a Silverado-E, and needed to announce the Cybertruck to get it out in advance of the GM version?

Tesla apparently went from clay prototype to actual car demo in a very short time. Why the rush? The vehicle isn’t coming out for two years and there’s nothing else coming out soon that will rival it.

Could Tesla be ready to partner with GM on a Silverado-E, and needed to announce the Cybertruck to get it out in advance of the GM version?
No and NO

As @Krugerrand has said many times... it's going to be Apple:D

It's Tesla. Always have aggressive timelines. Gwynne Shotwell explained why recently about those timelines. it's the SpaceX philosophy, but i doubt it's any different at Tesla.

SpaceX COO offers harsh critique of Falcon 9, Starlink, and Starship's competitors

Shotwell: “I think engineers think better when they’re pushed hardest to do great things in a very short period of time, with very few resources. Not when you have twenty years,” Shotwell said. “I don’t think there’s a motivation or a drive there.”

Someone on Reddit posted a photoshop of a Cyber Hot Hatch.
upload_2019-11-24_10-1-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-24_10-1-18.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-24_10-1-18.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 57
Weekend OT

Just realized the strangest thing.
Because of Tesla I got used to hearing no sound when a car passed by about 2 years ago.
Since there aren't that many pickups in Europe, they still sound quite loud to me because of the big engines.
Imagine yourself standing at a road crossing in 3 years and 1 of those cybertrucks stops at the light looking the way it looks. At green it just launches with the acceleration of a Porsche 911, and you hear NO SOUND except some tires rolling.

It will be the weirdest thing! :eek::p

Or even better: imagine you've never seen or heard the car and not knowing it's electric! This thing is gonna make some jaws drop :-D

Probably how they could keep it so stealth.

But yes we are still waiting on @KarenRei to update us on her confidence of some Ford/FCA/GM truck collaboration she told us about.... :)

Reactions: kbM3
And if I heard correctly, no wheel wells intruding into the bed. That a big deal for hauling plywood, sheetrock, etc.

On the bed-size issue:

Most of the pickups in my area, and nearly all of the working trucks, have an aftermarket tool box mounted behind the cab.

delta_single_lid_toolboxes.jpg

Like this one, most don't go all the way down to the deck, so you can still slide some lumber underneath.

That said, moving this storage into the locker underneath the bed (like the Honda Pilot) makes the Cybertruck's 6.5' bed more usable than most, and reduces the need for a long bed, for some folks, to some degree.

Anecdotally, most of my p/u friends prefer the looks and maneuverability of a short bed on a crew-cab truck. Those that have a long bed, just can't handle the size of a 6.5' box MINUS the bolt in tool storage.

Did Cybertruck just kill Model Y?

While I mostly agree with your points you forgot an important one:

TMY can be parked everywhere. TCT is too large for city parking spots. Atleast in Europe. Are most parking lots/garages in the US sized for full size trucks?

My TMX is already pushing the limits in parking garages and parking lots. As much as I would love to drive the TCT I also would need to use it as my daily driver. And to do that I need to park.

So no Cybertruck.

“The thing I am most impressed with is, what did you undesign?” Elon Musk

How do you reduce manufacturing costs in the Stamping, Castings and Paint shops? Get rid of them.
How do you reduce manufacturing costs in the Body Shop? Massively reduce welding requirements and reduce body shop size.
How do you reduce car chassis/frame and body panel costs? Get rid of them.
How do you reduce glass bending/curving costs? Make it flat.
How do you reduce body repair service and insurance costs? Make it undentable.
How do you reduce glass repair service and insurance costs? Make it unbreakable.
How do you reduce corrosion repair service and insurance costs? Make it corrosion resistant.

It's all about timing, which to Elon meant two very important things:

1. Presentation must be in time for the LA Auto Show, so everyone at the LA Auto Show is talking about Cybertruck instead of anything else.
2. Must be in November 2019 in order to meet Bladerunner timeline.

Even if you care nothing about the towing, or pick up functionality, Cybertruck:

1) Sits six adults +100 ft.³ of covered cargo capacity. Model Y seats 5+2, and only has 66 ft.³ of cargo capacity when the second and third row are folded down.

2) Has a panoramic windshield.

3) Is safer.

4) Has a 17 inch screen versus a 15 inch screen.

5) Has adaptive air suspension.

6) Charges more quickly.

7) IS CHEAPER!!!

Model Y:
1) Better efficiency,

2) Better performance for the base version.

3) Smaller exterior

I’m debating with myself if it did. I have a Y and CYBRTRK on order and the latter works for everything PLUS, I won’t need to get it fully XPEL’d or ceramic’d.

I’ve been asking myself since the reveal, do I need both? Technically. No, I don’t. I already have a 3 for those times I might not want a big truck. But I’ve also almost always had a ‘spare’ vehicle sitting around just in case.

I’m playing wait and see.

Because it's appears to be already a hit out of the park, no need to be cavalier about it. Agreed that there will be many follow up vehicles.

EM was cavalier about sales of Cybertruck before the reveal. Which implies his plans for this chassis go well beyond CT.

Also, I believe most media have missed the significance of having electricity available in the rectangular bed. There are tons of add ons that can be created with a source of power to cover any perceived deficiencies.

Add an electrified conveyor belt, lift, or movable shelves which makes it easier than manually lifting items over the side. CT makes electrified accessories practical, that would have had usability issues in ICE pickups.

Even if you care nothing about the towing, or pick up functionality, Cybertruck:

1) Sits six adults +100 ft.³ of covered cargo capacity. Model Y seats 5+2, and only has 66 ft.³ of cargo capacity when the second and third row are folded down.

2) Has a panoramic windshield.

3) Is safer.

4) Has a 17 inch screen versus a 15 inch screen.

5) Has adaptive air suspension.

6) Charges more quickly.

7) IS CHEAPER!!!

Model Y:
1) Better efficiency,

2) Better performance for the base version.

3) Smaller exterior

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the Cybertruck, but I doubt it will become my daily driver over the S. I like being lower to the ground and tight handling. The Y should drive really well. The Cybertruck will drive well for a pickup, but all the test drives said you are really high, and the truck really raises the nose when you accelerates, and squats when you brake, etc. Parking a large pickup is also very different than parking the Y. Definitely different markets with only a little overlap.

Right there with ya...500 miles and three motors:D:D:eek::D...but my more ....um... sensible side won and I have a dual motor on order...when the time comes for the actual build well I want three motors damnit:p

Exactly. Range is king especially because I do intend to haul in the middle of nowhere.

*sigh*

If CYBRTRK osborned my Y order; 1000000.999999% I’ll be getting tri motor and all the fixins including CYBRATV.

While I mostly agree with your points you forgot an important one:

TMY can be parked everywhere. TCT is too large for city parking spots. Atleast in Europe. Are most parking lots/garages in the US sized for full size trucks?

My TMX is already pushing the limits in parking garages and parking lots. As much as I would love to drive the TCT I also would need to use it as my daily driver. And to do that I need to park.

So no Cybertruck.

Imma take up two or ten spots. What they gonna do? Shoot my truck? Tow it?

Exactly. Range is king especially because I do intend to haul in the middle of nowhere.

*sigh*

If CYBRTRK osborned my Y order; 1000000.999999% I’ll be getting tri motor and all the fixins including CYBRATV.

First time I’ve seen the ATV spelled like that, and my mind instantly made that: “Cyber Rat 5”