Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's lawyers just filed a motion for "Judgement as a Matter of Law",

This is quite a bombshell filing IMHO, making the following arguments, now supported by the evidence provided via trial testimony:
  • "Mr. Unsworth Failed To Prove He Is Entitled To Assumed Or Punitive Damages."
  • "Mr. Unsworth Failed To Prove He Is Entitled To Actual Damages."
  • "The Record Is Insufficient To Support A Finding That Mr. Musk Is Liable For Defaming Mr. Unsworth:
    • First, no reasonable juror could determine that Mr. Musk’s July 15 tweets are statements of fact. Statements of opinion are not actionable as defamation, and are protected by the First Amendment.
    • Second, no reasonable juror could find that the “audience reasonably understood the statements were about” Mr. Unsworth.
    • Third, no reasonable jury could find that Mr. Musk’s statement was reasonably susceptible to a defamatory meaning. “California courts in libel cases have emphasized that the publication is to be measured... by the natural and probable effect upon the mind of the average reader.”
    • Fourth, Mr. Unsworth has not met his burden of proving that any statement of fact Mr. Musk made was false.
      • “When the speech involves a matter of public concern, a private-figure plaintiff has the burden of proving the falsity of the defamation.”
      • Mr. Unsworth is not a credible witness, and even if his vague denial, (12/04/19 P.M., 19:2-5 (Unsworth)), of the alleged pedophilia accusation is not sufficient as a matter of law to prove Mr. Musk’s statement was false. “To accept such a colorless denial as sufficient proof would effectively shift plaintiffs’ burden of establishing falsity ...”
    • Fifth, no reasonable juror could conclude that Mr. Musk failed to meet the standard of care. Although reasonable care is an objective standard, what reasonable care means in a particular circumstance is context-dependent. ... (“The allegedly defamatory statement in this case was made on an internet forum where people typically solicit and express opinions, generally using pseudonyms. The statement was also clearly ‘rhetorical hyperbole’ or a ‘vigorous epithet,’ particularly when viewed in the context of the heated argument—replete with name-calling[.]”). Here, Twitter is simply not a forum in which individuals use the same level of care they would in other circumstances.
In particular Unsworth's apparent vague denial at the trial of being a pedophile looks like an interesting detail. Is there some evidence in this case that the judge did not permit to be mentioned at trial and in unsealed filings?

They also raised the "unclean hands" argument I mentioned in previous comments:

Judgment as a Matter of Law – #149 in Vernon Unsworth v. Elon Musk (C.D. Cal., 2:18-cv-08048) – CourtListener.com

Based on the evidence, no reasonable juror could conclude that Mr. Unsworth did not have unclean hands with regard to the Twitter posts that form the basis of this defamation action. Mr. Musk’s tweets were a direct response to Mr. Unsworth’s unprovoked attack on CNN. (12/03/19 Tr. 72:8-11 (Musk).) Mr. Unsworth’s gratuitous statements that Mr. Musk’s rescue submarine was a PR stunt, which insinuated that Mr. Musk did not care about the trapped Thai children, and that Mr. Musk should stick his submarine where it hurts, therefore “occurred in the same transaction that forms the subject of this litigation,” which“is enough to trigger application of the unclean hands doctrine.” Unilogic, Inc. v. Burroughs Corp., 10 Cal App. 4th 612, 623 (1992). And Mr. Unsworth’s comments were unfair and inequitable. See, e.g., Kendall-Jackson Winery, 76 Cal. App. 4th 970, 979 (1999) (“Not every wrongful act constitutes unclean hands. But, the misconduct need not be a crime or an actionable tort. Any conduct that violates conscience, or good faith, or other equitable standards of conduct is sufficient cause to invoke the doctrine.”).

Because unclean hands bars Mr. Unsworth’s defamation claim, judgment should be granted in favor of Mr. Musk as a matter of law.​

Note that even if the judge rejects or ignores this motion, (to me) these look like a powerful argument on appeal: if the judge should have dismissed the lawsuit due to unclean hands then regardless of how the jury decides any decision against Elon would be reversed.

Another piece of good news, from a usually reliable Twitter source:

upload_2019-12-6_11-58-37.png

These are the coveted Chinese consumer price subsidies that only domestic Chinese carmakers receive, and which Tesla never received before. For a Model 3 this should be around 25,000 RMB, or about $3,000 - which is a significant subsidy.

Note that these are direct price subsidies, not tax incentives - every GF3 Model 3 buyer will get them. This could push the GF3 Model 3 base price closer to the psychological 300,000 RMB limit.

Edit, now also apparently confirmed via an official Chinese government document:

Edit #2, another confirmation:
upload_2019-12-6_12-13-18.png

Last edited:
Interesting anonymous leak about yesterday's production levels at GF3 China:

T☰SLA Mania on Twitter

"Giga Shanghai update from my anonymous source (whose former colleague is now working in Giga 3) : “Model 3 output on December 5 was 100 per 8 hours. Currently production line runs 8 hours a day.” 100 per 8 hours translates to 2100 per week when Giga Shanghai goes 24x7."​

BTW., I'd extrapolate this not to 2.1k/week but 2k/week sustained, to allow for maintenance downtime.

This seems to be supported by the rapidly increasing size of the GF3 parking lot:

upload_2019-12-6_12-24-43.png

To put an extrapolated 2k/week production rate into context:
  • Model 3 production at Fremont began at the end of July 2017, and burst 2k/week output was reached on April 3 2018: "In the past seven days, Tesla produced 2,020 Model 3 vehicles." - this is a ramp-up to 2k/week in about ~8 months, and I'd say the first shift when they managed to make 100 units was probably a month before that - so ~7 months ramp-up to the 100/shift rate.
  • Model 3 production in Shanghai begun at the earliest mid-October, when the factory was connected to the power grid on October 17th. December 5's 100/shift production output is 7 weeks, not even 2 months after that.
Much faster GF3 ramp-up so far than in Fremont: about 4 times faster.

Fresh news just in from the official Tesla China Twitter channel that Tesla China also received the sales permit for the Shanghai-made Model 3:

This is huge news: all permits are in, they'll get all the subsidies, and it's now up to Tesla alone whether they'll deliver any GF3 Model 3's to customers in December.

So today we received triple bullish news from GF3:
  1. China Model 3 will receive near maximum EV subsidies worth about 7% of the ASP,
  2. Tesla China has received the final permit to manufacture, sell and delivery GF3 Model 3's to customers,
  3. anonymous GF3 leak reported a one-shift GF3 production rate extrapolated to about 2,000/week on December 5 (yesterday).
Bullish AF. :D
Vincent commented that is not an offical China Twitter and there is no evidence of a sales permit yet.

AFAIK U.S. civil verdicts must be unanimous in California:

Juries in the United States - Wikipedia

"Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 48 states that a federal civil jury must begin with at least 6 and no more than 12 members, and that the verdict must be unanimous unless the parties stipulate otherwise."​

I don't think Elon stipulated to the weakening of this requirement.

This is why plaintiffs suing famous people in the U.S. generally try to reach a settlement or drop their case, and try to reach a settlement by maximizing the embarrassment factor, maximizing the annoyance factor and maximizing the general litigation expense of the defendant.

Even if Elon is found not guilty he certainly had well over a million dollars of litigation costs - a good chunk of which money many defendants would rather pay to the plaintiff to avoid the embarrassment and avoid the risks of being found guilty.

But Elon didn't and he already paid the maximum price for the litigation - so what we have to wait for is the jury's verdict.
I'm not feeling this whole 'auto-guilty' meme some here seem to be espousing. Seems to me some are conflating their feelings about Musk's twittering in general to some form of guilt(he shouldn't have been on twitter to begin with). The way this thing would strike me, if I were a juror, would be Mr Unsworth's seeming lack of respect or even outright disdain for anything Mr Musk thinks or does generally, but then seems to have an outsized concern of what he said in a 'return-of-fire' tweet. Can he think so little of him and so much of him at the same time?! I simply don't buy his emotional distress.

Last edited:
FYI the US coal industry as measured by RR cars shipped continues to decline. Down 8.4% YTD, almost double the overall decline of 4.7% for all rail freight. The November 2019 decline was 14.9% vs. November 2018.

The Association of American Railroads gave this explanation for the overall decline: “Rail traffic continues to struggle because U.S. manufacturing is soft, trade disputes and the uncertainty they entail are ongoing, and economic growth abroad isn’t what it could be”. Because they're an industry organization, they don't mention that another cause is the RR's current practice of ending intermodal service to lower volume locations and some RR interchange points. This has diverted RR freight to trucks, which increases CO2 and other pollution.

Interesting anonymous leak about yesterday's production levels at GF3 China:

T☰SLA Mania on Twitter

"Giga Shanghai update from my anonymous source (whose former colleague is now working in Giga 3) : “Model 3 output on December 5 was 100 per 8 hours. Currently production line runs 8 hours a day.” 100 per 8 hours translates to 2100 per week when Giga Shanghai goes 24x7."​

BTW., I'd extrapolate this not to 2.1k/week but 2k/week sustained, to allow for maintenance downtime.

This seems to be supported by the rapidly increasing size of the GF3 parking lot:

To put an extrapolated 2k/week production rate into context:
  • Model 3 production at Fremont began at the end of July 2017, and burst 2k/week output was reached on April 3 2018: "In the past seven days, Tesla produced 2,020 Model 3 vehicles." - this is a ramp-up to 2k/week in about ~8 months, and I'd say the first shift when they managed to make 100 units was probably a month before that - so ~7 months ramp-up to the 100/shift rate.
  • Model 3 production in Shanghai begun at the earliest mid-October, when the factory was connected to the power grid on October 17th. December 5's 100/shift production output is 7 weeks, not even 2 months after that.
Much faster GF3 ramp-up so far than in Fremont: about 4 times faster.
Surely they must be going to deliver some MIC M3s this quarter. 700 per week for the rest of the year plus any that have already been produced gets the number to around 3k. That's far more than they need as loaners and floor models for the ~48 showrooms they have in China.

Reactions: Dig deeper
Surely they must be going to deliver some MIC M3s this quarter. 700 per week for the rest of the year plus any that have already been produced gets the number to around 3k. That's far more than they need as loaners and floor models for the ~48 showrooms they have in China.

I think they are waiting for the sales permit - which, according to speculation, should arrive late next week or the week after that.

Last edited:
Out of all these, I think having the family over and asking some questions for character reference will be the best move.

Whether ir noy he is a diver is moot as tge media already paints him as a diver. Cave diving is the most dangerous sort. If unsworth did not dive himself, then he doesn't deserve the hero treatment. At best is the medal of the planner.

It’s not a moot point. He’s not a diver no matter how many times it’s reported that he is. That’s like saying it’s a moot point that TSLAQ keeps calling Elon a fraudster and Tesla an elaborate scam and Gigafactories 1 thru 3 Potemkin Villages.

The truth does in fact matter.

I'm not feeling this whole 'auto-guilty' meme some here seem to be espousing. Seems to me some are conflating their feelings about Musk's twittering in general to some form of guilt(he shouldn't have been on twitter to begin with). The way this thing would strike me, if I were a juror, would be Mr Unsworth's seeming lack of respect or even outright disdain for anything Mr Musk thinks or does generally, but then seems to have an outsized concern of what he said in a 'return-of-fire' tweet. Can he think so little of him and so much of him at the same time?! I simply don't buy his emotional distress.

Haaaaaah, the United States of America, where you can try and sue to get rich for the measliest of incidents.

Over here in continental Europe, our legal system (still based on the principles set in ancient Rome, and established for modern times by Napoleon 200 years ago) requires that not only there must be a fault of the sued party, also the 'victim' carries the full burden of proof regarding his exact damages.

If Unsworth were suing in continental Europe, he could get one thousand euro tops, given the current evidence brought forward. More likely he'd get a symbolic 1 EUR. (Yes, that amount is often granted. It means you did suffer damages but they are immeasurable. I.e. "get over it")