Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....The EV alliance with Porsche - they are developing a common platform - has undergone a complete reset. [When? Initiated by whom?] The debut of Porsche's SUV Macan and Audi's EQ6 will be delayed by half a year to early 2022. The Audi and Porsche engineers have to find improvements because the Tesla Model 3 came out better than they thought...
I can’t decide if they just simply haven’t given it all they have, or if they just don’t have it to give - (or combination of both).
They cannot beat the Model 3 after all the money they have poured (I really wanted to type poored) into their BEV line up. They are hoping to compete in 2022....... until 2021 (or sooner) when they see the Model Y.

Russ is a tool. Total disgrace to journalism. LA Times needs to drop him.
The ownership of the LA Times recently switched over. A dr purchased it and I bet he would be shocked to see what this reporter has been doing. It flies in the face of journalistic integrity. Anyone care to write the owner a letter? Happy to pay someone to do it.

Karen,
Auto spare parts are anywhere up to 10x the OEM buy price.
Ciao,
Mike
Well, in my experience as a car repair shop owner (a long time ago) sometimes it is as much a 100x. For example we sold some nuts and bolts for $ 0.50 which left the manufacturer for $ $0.005 according to our supplier's invoice (which he accidentally left in one of the shipments). We paid $ 0.5 for them.

1. Did I say you should take them at their word? [see previous link to the video evidence, plus analysis.]

2. Audi's e-Tron battery has been demonstrated to charge about twice as fast 0..80% as Tesla's 100D and that is a fact regardless of people's feelings. Whether it will create a sufficient perception to translate into marketplace advantage and project profitability remains to be seen. I personally have no feelings or forecasts either way on that.

3. I have not dismissed questions about degradation out of hand: it's simply that there is as yet no corresponding e-Tron data to discuss.

4. We cannot currently know if the Audi battery lifespan will unduly suffer from the fast charging but what I object to is the facile presumption by some here that the e-Tron battery performance is somehow fake or only possible by prematurely "frying" the pack so it won't hold up to warranty. There is no legitimate basis in data for that conclusion...

I understand your stance here, and agree that, until we have some hard data on the Audi, any conclusions must be based on speculation. However, that may be we-informed speculation.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the desire for a data-centric discussion.

...it seems to me to be constructed mainly from a collective shareholder angst that Tesla is possibly being surpassed in a department where it was long considered by them to have an unassailable lead. This e-Tron news appears to have come as a rude shock to them, inducing some colourful spasms of cognitive dissonance across the hind brain.

5. I join you in the anticipation of further and better data.

Here, however, is where you undermine yourself. You are speculating as to the motive of others and concluding that their argument must be based on vested interest. This is behavior similar to what you are arguing against... in implies bias.

On the contrary, there's some pretty compelling argument to be made that the energy -vs- power density differences between the packs (along with the reserve the Audi may have don't allow for the types of increases being claimed while at the same time providing similar cycle life.

So, perhaps Audi has some breakthrough chemistry nobody else seems to be aware of. Possible, but not likely. The other likely tradeoff is cycle life, which given the more "niche" this car may be, likely smaller production volumes, and ostensibly the lesser likelihood that these cars will incur similar miles driven as their Tesla counterparts makes it very resonable that Audi may just be willing to "eat" the packs that need to be replaces under warrantly.

If that indeed is the case that they are sacrificing cycle life for power density, then we aren't comparing apples-for-apples.

Yes, it's an admirable technical feat.

Pffft.

Tonight I charged my 2017 Nissan Leaf from 20% to 60% in less than 15 minutes— matching Audi’s charge rate in percentage terms.

On a vehicle that actually exists. On a charger that actually exists. Starting from a higher state of charge.

Sure, it added less than 43 miles of range, but drivers don’t care about range in the real world— they only care about percentages.

EM is sexting on twitter:

upload_2019-2-10_23-43-54.png

$TSLA to mars confirmed.

Pffft.

Tonight I charged my 2017 Nissan Leaf from 20% to 60% in less than 15 minutes— matching Audi’s charge rate in percentage terms.

On a vehicle that actually exists. On a charger that actually exists. Starting from a higher state of charge.

Sure, it added less than 43 miles of range, but drivers don’t care about range in the real world— they only care about percentages.

I take your point about the percentages: a net 27kWh battery 0..80% in 30 min sounds excellent. Unfortunately the Leaf is passive-air cooled, infamously prone to heat-soak issues crippling charge rates, so underperforms in the summer with repeated fast-charging on the highway [a.k.a. #Rapidgate] and for the same reason tends to suffer hefty degradation within a few years. Thus I think it cannot fairly be compared to the Audi.

Also I'm sure many drivers (e.g. the type who buy Tesla) do care ardently about range and repeatability of charge rate, as those are vital statistics of long-distance driving.