Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Please Elon Buy CR and reform its editorial process, so that the car that subscribers love the most isn't 'derecommended' based on flawed logic."

"Please also use your owner privileges to investigate past CR incidents: how, why and to whom did CR leak such market moving information?"
How about getting very serious about quality. That and only that will win out in the long run. I have two Tesla’s and they are wonderful cars. But I have needed a few service trips. More so than my Chevy Volt.

That the Model 3 is the most loved car by CR subscribers is a simple fact.

That CR 'unrecommends' the Model 3, based on problems whose "vast majority" Tesla says are already fixed, and which car owners are the most satisfied with despite teething problems of a brand new product, is breathtakingly bad logic by CR that should be called out...

In short CR's finding can be summerized as:
CR does not recommend people to buy a car that would make them most satisfied!
They are better off buying less satisfying products from the dinosaur industry...

Shall we wait for you at these levels until 2023, so you can buy even more?

At this point, I've already reached my goal in term of number of shares I want to own. Any more I add just means the stock price doesn't have to rise as high(over the next 7-10 year) for me to hit my financial goals. Tesla at this price represents not only the best value but by far the best prospect of growth in the stock market so I feel compelled to add around this level...…...but I sure wish the stock would get up to fair value so that I can start building out the rest of my portfolio in other companies/industries.

Does CR list the number of M3 owners who responded to their surveys? All I see is "locked" where those numbers might be disclosed.

Sure there are problems, with all cars, but if only 10 people replied to their Tesla M3 survey, that would put the report into a new realm of FUD.

Here is what it shows me:

For the past few years, CR has been going back to car owners who did not answer the initial survey to gather additional information, and to include a greater number of the newest vehicles. These later responses have been incorporated into the ratings found in our annual April autos issue.

With the new data, CR’s sample size of 2018 Model 3s nearly doubled, bringing the total number of Model 3s involved to more than 500. These latest survey responses contained a relatively high number of reliability complaints.

So after harassing their subscribers they got an additional ~250 people to respond about the Model 3. But it is still a fairly small sample, and people with problems, or a grudge, are most likely to respond.

Here is what it shows me:

So after harassing their subscribers they got an additional ~250 people to respond about the Model 3. But it is still a fairly small sample, and people with problems, or a grudge, are most likely to respond.
Thanks!

So, CR stating "a relatively high number of reliability complaints" is not very convincing that reported problems are material, IMHO. Would rather it be quantitative rather than obfuscation.

Reactions: wipster
The passenger cell in the Smart is indeed strong.

The problem is that there's very little crumple zone ahead of it to decelerate the people inside of it. That pesky "physics" thing means some high g-forces regardless of if the cage remains intact.

It is not going to be Tesla Model 3 safe.

But I trust Smart is going to be much safer than Chinese counterparts.

While we're all staring at our shoes and pulling our bears out, Norway ha registered over 100 today - not all, but mostly M3.

AFAIK, it's the only country where we get such up-to-date stats, right?

Furthermore, as I understand it, not many M3's have gone to Noways yet, most have been for continental Europe.

Tesla Registration Stats

Also the lack of owner authentication is concerning: does this mean that for the price of about 250 CR subscriptions, which is 250x $55 = $13,700, one can knock off 1.5 billion dollars from the market cap of a publicly traded company?

Another question is CR's recommendation priorities: by unrecommending the Model 3 they are basically telling their subscribers to buy less satisfying and less safe cars.

I.e. even if the Model 3 feedback from the July-September 2018 time frame is accurate, CR is recommending subscribers to buy cars in 2019 that can get them killed due to lower safety because of complaints over ... panel gaps and paint flecks?

This new editorial logic of CR is IMHO deeply irresponsible and borderline criminal.

Last edited: