Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and he kept talking about Porsche Taycan. Even if that is a fantastic car, it will cost well over 100K for one as good as a Tesla Model 3 performance, and Porsche only intends to sell 20-40K per year. How does that idiot expect that to hurt Tesla?

Well let's be fair, Porsche make really nice cars. The Taycan will be beautifully finished with a very nice high-end German interior and will handle like a dream. So I'll give them credit in advance for that.

But it won't be a family car. It will seat four and likely have limited luggage space. It's a totally different demographic.

As we always talk about here, Taycan is no threat to Model S, it's a threat to Panamera. Same goes for iPace and eTurd - Jag and Audi lovers will be the main takers.

Porsche's a seen as opulent by many, a status symbol - my wife would never drive one, way too ostentatious. But Teslas aren't; they're very aspirational cars, for sure, but they're not show-off cars, so they appeal to a much wider range of buyer and for multiple reasons.

But once again, kudos to Porsche.

(still not sure where people will charge to though...)

I'm not so sure this move today is unrelated to the announcement of the event 4/19. Tasha estimated a $2 Trillion market* for autonomous ride hailing, and pointed out that there is virtually zero valuation of Tesla's potential to tap that market. This contrasts remarkably with discussions trying to assess Waymo's value (Waymo not being a stand alone company, has no stock price driven market cap to simply look up). Morgan Stanley suggested $175 billion for Waymo. Just a hypothetical, of course, but, a little under 20% of GM's Cruise automation sold for $2.25 billion last year, implying a ~$11 billion valuation at the time. That would be about $60/share of Tesla. Anyone think Cruise is more valuable than Tesla's FSD program? I know, preaching to the choir... the point is, April might help more people realize how much is being ignored with most analysts putting in $0 for Tesla's program if I understand correctly.

*fwiw, I think there are many possible ways it may turn out that the tremendous value of achieving large scale autonomous ride services gets distributed. Even if Ark's $2 trillion number is accurate, I can see scenarios where the tech company's that develop autonomy do not end up being the primary recipients of those trillions. I value Tesla's underlying vehicle business at about twice of what Ark does, so I'm fine holding my Tesla several times the current price until we get more visibility on how autonomy will go.

What are the odds the MXWL delay is due to shareholders waiting for SEC resolution? Do I have this right? If SEC outcome is negative, MXWL shareholders would want to wait to tender to ensure the 5-day window starts after the drop. But if the outcome is positive, MXWL shareholders should tender immediately to capture a low 5-day average.
No, offer has been extended again. I just updated my tender for the newest shares bought, and the offer (via Nordnet) said:
Last day to respond is 2019-04-08.​
So it may be a couple of days extra to final date. But I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with waiting for the SEC case specifically.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
He just keeps ignoring the elephant in the room with ~7K deliveries, and continue to compare vehicles in different size category! Hint: Audi and Jaguar do NOT have Model-X competitor EVs on the market! They have vehicles smaller than the Model 3, so they should be compared to Model 3, and maybe to Model Y when that is released!

He knows exactly what he's doing! He's feeding the narrative that some shorts want to hear so that they keep shorting, it's simply confirmation bias.

Anton is one of the more "rough" contributors on SA, I specifically remember a piece of his in which he was trying to argue that a gas car (could've been Volvo) is greener than a Tesla because the exhaust it puts out has fewer particulates than the ambient air, so it actually cleans the air...

If he were covering Apple, he would argue that, as the iPhones have more rounded corners than Android phones, you're actually getting less phone for the money... that's pretty much how all his pieces go.

I typically read his stuff for SMH entertainment value, although I am aware some uninformed "investors" take his BS hook, line & sinker.

I’m bullish that the tsla share price clouds are starting to part:

China GF on schedule and maybe early...check

Model 3 production reaching profitable levels....check

Model 3 demand not dropping off....check

Cash generation vs drain....check

Autonomous driving promise....check

Pickup truck to be unveiled this year...check

Model Y unveiled & an on-time production timeframe looks promising...check

Elon tweeting reined in....check

Don't think this video got shared yet (correct me if I'm wrong):

They've started paneling the roof. :) Also, the high-roof section has a really distinctive form relative to the low-roof section which was the only part we'd seen previously.

I’m sorry but I was told this was a swamp that couldn’t possibly be used for a factory and that nobody would lend any money to build it anyway. Must be CGI.

I wanted to explicitly thank you for posting this, it was very helpful in clarifying the process used to develop vision and neural nets. Going over it a bit in my head there are a few points that I think are worth noting:

• Implicitly, the neural net is a component of driving that is not just limited to "computer vision." In fact, from his presentation it wasn't even clear if such a distinction would be meaningful. This means that the uncertainty of neural nets is an essential component of Tesla AP/FSD and thus cannot be proven to be correct, only demonstrated to meet a probabilistic goal.
  • People here make references to Tesla's huge data set, but he makes it clear that a huge data set is actually counterproductive (e.g., training for traffic lights if blue traffic lights make up <0.001% of the data will never truly be accounted for). The real issue is getting enough sample range for each edge case so that it can be trained for.
  • While a traditional computing approach to computer vision was unworkable, the "software 2.0" approach is only better insofar as it is at least tractable. But that is small consolation when you realize that all you have done is shift the problem to one of getting sufficiently large, clean and accurate data set labeled to unleash your training optimizer on.
  • It reinforces my belief that true FSD is not on the horizon, but that incremental gains that will benefit Tesla drivers will continue. His examples of problems were pretty trivial -- he wasn't having to reach at all to come up with edge cases that were difficult to handle. At the same time it is encouraging that they are actively trying to identify edge cases for labeling. As Tesla iterates by identifying more problems, using data collection campaigns on the fleet to generate relevant data sets, labeling the data, and then using that to train an improved neural net, AP/FSD will continue to improve via OTA.
  • Tesla's homegrown interface for data labeling probably represents the first significant step in "real" neural net programming. I used the quotes because it isn't like neural nets are new, but -- no offense to prior work on language, vision or to AlphaGo and relations -- if he is correct in describing Tesla's interface as being equivalent to an IDE it's rather like the field is starting to grow up.
What does this mean for Tesla, its investors and $TSLA?

I think it is the clearest and most convincing demonstration of Tesla's lead in FSD. Dog and pony shows are easy. But having the internals to grow and support the development of something as significant and difficult as FSD -- that is real. Of course, it isn't flashy and doesn't get attention. I expect the upcoming to dog and pony show to provide some of that -- but I don't expect it to be showy or flashy. No "this car drove from New York to get here" silliness (who would be convinced by showing an arrival anyway?).
I've seen comments by people who do not have a Tesla that they don't understand how AP can make driving easier when you are constantly having to monitor the car and pay attention to traffic. I get that from someone who has not experienced it -- they think AP is some Rube Goldberg contraption that is a circus sideshow freak. Alternatively, there is a belief that AP is fundamentally flawed and unsafe, but drivers will be tricked into a false sense of security and lose situational awareness.

The upcoming FSD show-and-tell is, I believe, to get influential people the hands-on experience that will make them believers. Belief that this is a solid solution and that it is safe. They will then use their influence to spread the word about how Tesla's FSD works.

If there is glitz, a fireworks display, a laserlight show, I will be surprised as those elements are not necessary for this. Audi needed that for the e-tron launch because what else was going to sell it?

What is necessary is a compelling drive in a car that drives on its own. What will work best is to demonstrate that Tesla's approach is not constrained by the impressive caveats faced by Waymo, Cruise, et al, but even if it is a solid demonstration of something technically achievable by Waymo -- as long as it is solid that will improve Tesla's autonomy credibility.

And if Tesla gains some credibility in the autonomous driving arena that should be reflected in stock price. Whether or not that happens, it will drive uptake of AP and FSD and advertise for more sales of Tesla cars.

What I infer from what they actually do in tesla regarding FSD is this:

1) FSD feature complete means the neural net (software 2.0) + some software 1.0 stack is able to handle all tasks taking you from raw sensors input to steering + acceleration(deceleration) decision. We don't know if it can do this better/worst than human yet (My guess: way better than human in the most common situations but disastrous in edge cases that the neural net has never seen and learned)

2) The problem shifted from trying to think hard enough about a problem to design clever algorithm to curating a good quality dataset covering more and more edge cases. FSD will not be perfect but they have a clear path in iterating to continuously improve it.

3) I don't agree with you that large dataset is counterproductive: I am aware of some neural network architectures where a baseline neural net model can be used for fine tuning for specific cases. This gets around class/label imbalances (learning edge cases that happens so infrequently that the learning effectively never happens in training a large neural net) issues. BERT is one example of such.

If Tesla continues along this path on FSD development, I think what is likely to happen is that

- Tesla iterates and continues improvement in FSD slowly at an accelerated rate leaving everyone else in the dust just because of the dataset advantage i.e. being able to learn edge cases from more and more examples collected from accelerated dataset collection.

Last edited:
Another video from CNBC today on Tesla (a segment prior to the one where Ark's analyst and a bearish analyst were on).

Get past Becky Quick praising Jim Cramer Kool-aid re the SEC case, and about 3 minutes in Joe Kiernan of all people brings up the Bob Lutz comments from this week in the context, of ~"this guy from the GM bankruptcy era, saying all this Tesla doom/gloom..." Phil Lebeau shares some thoughts, and for a couple of minutes you have people on CNBC asking, why are other auto execs saying this kind of stuff about Tesla... 'jealousy', 'sour grapes'...?

Tesla preview: Musk in court, Q1 Model 3 delivery numbers

- Tesla iterates and continues improvement in FSD slowly at an accelerated rate leaving everyone else in the dust just because of the dataset advantage i.e. being able to learn edge cases from more and more examples collected from accelerated dataset collection.
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that surely Tesla has the ability to fire FSD up in the background in all/some of our vehicles and test/collect data that way. We now they are collecting AP data, especially when driver intervention happens. Why wouldn't FSD follow that path? Waymo has to send out a few hundred vehicles to test things. Tesla has hundreds of thousands of test beds that can be used with no risk of crashes.

Run FSD.exe - monitor suggested outputs into the system based on camera inputs, if software receives input it can't process or has trouble processing then load that data to Tesla corporate for review.

M3 numberw will be good.

But SX might go below 15k and as low as 12k, i hope I am wrong.

Anyone who actually has a financial model for Tesla and understands that paint is the limitation shouldn't care. E.g. that selling fewer S/X 75Ds and more M3 LR AWD/Ps is a huge net positive for the company, and that Tesla made the right choice by choosing a price structure and resource allocation that favours the latter.