Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steve Liesman reported the New York Fed has undertaken liquidity measures, which gave me flashbacks to 2008. Here's the WSJ article--behind a paywall, but you can get the gist: Demand For Fed Liquidity Rises, New York Fed Injects Nearly $100 Billion

Watching CNBC on my flight.

A number of analysts are expecting that the US will have below zero 2 & 10 year interest rates by June plus noted that there is significant bond default risk.

I haven’t processed yet how to invest in a market with these conditions.

Have we seen the whites of the market's eyes yet people? Am holding the TSLA line's formation, waiting for the signal to loose a volley with me dry powder and bag a few more shares...
No. That won't happen until several US cities start looking like Northern Italy. Our response has been incredibly poor and our leadership is stupid AND has an innate dislike for governance.

Canned good and shotguns? Although this is the US, so very well marbled long pork may be easy to come by if things get really bad.

A number of analysts are expecting that the US will have below zero 2 & 10 year interest rates by June plus noted that there is significant bond default risk.

Corporate bonds or government bonds? The Fed won't let dollar treasury debt default, so they must have meant corporate bonds, right?

Reactions: CuriousSunbird
Please stop! You are talking about oil billionaires here, businessmen. Their decisions are based on maximizing profits, not who they would like to screw over for the hell of it. They will do what's in their best financial interests.

Really? When I read the account of the OPEC+ meeting, it sounded to me like Russia knew exactly what they wanted, and they were prepared to stick a knife in the Saudis to see it happen. Then the moment the proposed rate hikes were abandoned, the Saudis completely tanked their prices, probably below what Russia was even expecting. That had the feel of a revenge move to me.

Now, you can tell me that's all business as usual... and you may well be right. This is close to the first time I've read an account of an OPEC+ meeting, so maybe they're all like that.

It just didn't sound like it to me.

Here is how I've be thinking about declining interest rates.

I've been buying up HASI, a REIT that invests in renewable energy assets and other sustainable infrastructure. The revenue stream is based on leases. So it actually has bond like earnings. The current yield is about 3.9%. I've been thinking that income investors will be eager to buy a REIT like HASI in light of how miserable bond rates are. So far the stock prices is getting pushed around like everything else in the market, but eventually clear headed income investors will figure out that HASI is a pretty good dividend payer.

A large percentage of the US population lives paycheck to paycheck,
Here we see the Los Angeles ports slowdown affecting a large portion of the Southern California economy; hopefully they can survive the China manufacturing downturn and restart,
and then whatever effects COVID19 shutdowns has on the US economy.

Truckers, dockworkers suffer as coronavirus chokes L.A., Long Beach ports cargo

Terminal closures mean truckers can’t return empty containers and chassis, the flat steel beds they sit on. “Every terminal has an appointment system that regulates what containers you pick up and drop off,” LaBar said. “If your appointments are at a closed terminal, then you can’t operate.”

Trucking companies are being charged daily fees for late returns, leading to fights with ocean carriers and customers over who should pay. “They’re facing six- and seven-figure equipment bills,” he added. “Everything is going downhill. The longer this goes on, certain companies may go out of business.”

The snafus exceed what the ports experienced during a 2014 slowdown amid contentious union negotiations or in 2018, when docks were clogged with extra cargo in anticipation of Trump’s China tariffs, LaBar said.

“I’ve never seen such disruption,” he added. “We’re in an unprecedented situation.”

The crisis is most severe for the 13,000 truckers who ferry goods from ships to warehouses and rail yards across Southern California. Some 80% are independent contractors who own their trucks and get paid per load. As cargo has dwindled and work has dried up, they are panicking. A Facebook page with 5,800 drivers, mostly Latino immigrants, is filled with photos of locked terminal gates and posts offering big rigs for sale because the owners are unable to meet mortgage payments.

“We are in a state of emergency,” said Ron Herrera, president of the Los Angeles County Labor Federation. “If there’s no cargo, no one gets paid. For independent contractors, it is especially devastating. They are not eligible for unemployment, unlike employee drivers.”

GMs statements have been forward looking.

There is nothing I have seen from GM that makes me positive they are different in that respect or that their behavior to betray customers did change. CEOs are mainly in marketing and sales and hope R&D will do some magic while R&D knows its more speculation than anything relying on their Tier 1,2,3 suppliers.

GM CEO Mary Barra is an electrical engineer. She made her bones in the engineering department at GM.

Today

tumblr_mhh9tx6AwD1qgnsnbo1_250.gif

Really? When I read the account of the OPEC+ meeting, it sounded to me like Russia knew exactly what they wanted, and they were prepared to stick a knife in the Saudis to see it happen. Then the moment the proposed rate hikes were abandoned, the Saudis completely tanked their prices, probably below what Russia was even expecting. That had the feel of a revenge move to me.

Now, you can tell me that's all business as usual... and you may well be right. This is close to the first time I've read an account of an OPEC+ meeting, so maybe they're all like that.

It just didn't sound like it to me.

That's business as usual. Sometimes you have to stick your opponent with a "knife" to get your point across. That's what's happening here. The "color" was provided by the media. And we know they rarely understand the stories they write about. So please don't act as if everything they write is credible.

Well, that's interesting. Because my brokerage account is showing that it's up over 62% in the last 12 months. Even in this "bloodbath". The exciting thing is a lot of excesses have been wrung out of the market. Which enables further gains in the coming months.

There is obviously a lot of potential buying pressure on TSLA (as evidenced by the 9% rise in under 1/2 hour from the re-start of trading today). Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see one more sharp leg down, today or tomorrow or as late as Wednesday, perhaps to as low as $585 before a sharp recovery to above $700, maybe as early as Thursday-Friday.

Don't let the volatility get to you, this is normal market craziness that has to come out and play once in a while. :rolleyes:
I just wish this wasn't the week I was taking out funds for an X. (No TSLA stock was harmed during this process).

When I pass another gas station with a "lower than last time" gas price posted I think:
"Those OPEC+ bastards are shrewd sumbitches. They see the horizon. They are trying to get all the oil they can out of the ground for the highest price they can before the resource is worthless. And they know how to balance demand to get the highest total for the foreseeable future. They've upped the quantity, but still kept a good profit margin.
And then *sugar* like what is happening now hits the fan. Humans are humans. I think these guys know no matter how fast they pump it out of the ground they are still going to have a bunch left when it becomes almost worthless.
(And that ain't nothing but me daydreaming behind the wheel. It could be true though.)

Reactions: SOULPEDL