Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ETEdDJmXQAEcHhJ.jpg

Everyday is a buying opportunity

Im expecting more pain in the markets this week. More and more people are now slowly realizing the intensity of the situation. Which means more panic, which means more sell off.

Forget paper products, my local stores and Costco/Sams are running out of basic OTC medicine, meat and shelf-stable food. One local Trader Joe’s was wiped out pretty much within 3 hours of opening.

No travel from Europe.
Now, no domestic travel for DoD.
Next, no domestic travel for all residents, starting with the hardest hit states on the coasts.

No matter how well Tesla does, TSLA is not going to overcome the macro.

And when it drops 10% Monday he will blame everyone else...Sorry, off topic but I guess if TSLA drops another 10% it is relevant

Jokes aside, if the market cannot stay green even a day and drops again on Monday after all the measures both in the EU and US (and another FED cut at least partly priced in already), even before number of cases/death increase in US, then we really are in for a shock in the system.
Granted, this may not be the bottom. I am saying that if there is not even one day rest in the sell-off then it is going to be really bad.

Reactions: EVCollies
Jokes aside, if the market cannot stay green even a day and drops again on Monday after all the measures both in the EU and US (and another FED cut at least partly priced in already), even before number of cases/death increase in US, then we really are in for a shock in the system.
Granted, this may not be the bottom. I am saying that if there is not even one day rest in the sell-off then it is going to be really bad.

France, Spain and Israel just ordered all non-essential businesses closed, Spain for 15 days, unclear how long for the others. I imagine Tesla delivery centres will be affected as well which could impact Q1 delivery numbers, revenue, and stock price. Are UK and Germany next to close I wonder...

The Tesla delivery wave might not break until into Q2...

Last edited:
Unless you need money, ignore response. I plan to look for bargains above 1100-1300 price range, sell if panic buy going on, and then buy back when lower. Last time sold at 906 then bought back at 645 or lower. All within a Roth and fewer than about 15% of stake in TSLA. May do it again, or may not. Wobbly advice, like my balance even with a cane.

Here's my understanding, although IANAL and I may be misunderstanding something. I was a shareholder in both Tesla and Solar City for some years before the acquisition. I didn't get any notice, but actually I think that's normal. It's only after the case is finished that they go to the effort of finding all of the possible class members and notifying them. To get the case certified as a class action they only need to find some number (50-100?) people who are willing to say that they were damaged by the same actions, and then the lawyers estimate how many people were affected and for how much, and distribute the settlement proceeds. As others have noticed, once you get the settlement notification (assuming you do, and haven't moved or whatever) you have three choices:
1. opt out of the settlement, reserving the right to sue on your own behalf
2. waive your rights under the settlement, basically washing your hands of the matter
3. Opt in, and provide documentation proving that you belong to the class in question. Then they split the settlement money with the lawyers getting most of it, and the class members getting a few pennies. I think the biggest settlement I've ever had was about $15, and I usually invest in multiples of $10k if I'm going to bother. I have one in my waste paper bin at the moment*.
Edit: see attachment for a non-Tesla example; actually 5 choices.

For (3), I think (haven't verified) that only people who traded Tesla stock during a certain period would be members of the class. This is because the (alleged) behavior of Tesla (allegedly) misled people to invest during that particular period. If you held long-term and didn't trade, clearly you weren't affected by that (alleged) behavior.

*: NantHealth: "If you bought NantHealth, Inc., common stock between June 1 2016 and May 1 2017, you could benefit from a class action settlement. A federal court authorized this notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer." I have not received any previous communication about this company, I vaguely recall trying to get some shares in their IPO, can't remember if I did actually get some trivial number or not. Can't be bothered trying to track down the details.
I thought this lawsuit was brought up by Solarcity short sellers. There were short sellers actively trying to bankrupt the company. When Tesla bought Solar City it wiped out the short sellers who then sued. Musk does not consider short sellers to be ‘investors’ hence he refuses to settle. No longer remember where I read or heard this. Will try googling it.

Here's my understanding, although IANAL and I may be misunderstanding something. I was a shareholder in both Tesla and Solar City for some years before the acquisition. I didn't get any notice, but actually I think that's normal. It's only after the case is finished that they go to the effort of finding all of the possible class members and notifying them. To get the case certified as a class action they only need to find some number (50-100?) people who are willing to say that they were damaged by the same actions, and then the lawyers estimate how many people were affected and for how much, and distribute the settlement proceeds. As others have noticed, once you get the settlement notification (assuming you do, and haven't moved or whatever) you have three choices:
1. opt out of the settlement, reserving the right to sue on your own behalf
2. waive your rights under the settlement, basically washing your hands of the matter
3. Opt in, and provide documentation proving that you belong to the class in question. Then they split the settlement money with the lawyers getting most of it, and the class members getting a few pennies. I think the biggest settlement I've ever had was about $15, and I usually invest in multiples of $10k if I'm going to bother. I have one in my waste paper bin at the moment*.
Edit: see attachment for a non-Tesla example; actually 5 choices.

For (3), I think (haven't verified) that only people who traded Tesla stock during a certain period would be members of the class. This is because the (alleged) behavior of Tesla (allegedly) misled people to invest during that particular period. If you held long-term and didn't trade, clearly you weren't affected by that (alleged) behavior.

*: NantHealth: "If you bought NantHealth, Inc., common stock between June 1 2016 and May 1 2017, you could benefit from a class action settlement. A federal court authorized this notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer." I have not received any previous communication about this company, I vaguely recall trying to get some shares in their IPO, can't remember if I did actually get some trivial number or not. Can't be bothered trying to track down the details.

The class status is due to effective size of the potential plaintiff pool ( all stock holders). The class status is not binding.
WHEREAS, to avoid unnecessary motion practice, the parties to the consolidated action have reached an agreement to stipulate to the conditional certification of a class (the “Class”) under Court of Chancery Rules 23(a), 23(b)(1) and 23(b)(2) on the terms set forth below;
Later
This Stipulation and Order is without prejudice to (i) the right of any party to bring an appropriate motion, without leave of the Court, at a later time to decertify, limit, extend, or otherwise modify or redefine the Class, or its division into sub-classes, or to challenge, substitute, or modify its representative, and/or (ii) the right of the Court to alter or amend this Order at any time prior to entry of a final judgment on the merits or to make such other orders as may be appropriate.
Full ruling on the class status attached.

More filings on the case at In re Tesla Motors, Inc. Stockholder Litigation - Climate Change Litigation

Attachments

• 20190418_docket-12711-VCS_stipulation.pdf
    320.1 KB · Views: 46
Does anyone know how many Ys been delivered and being delivered this weekend?
I am sure we will soon see a prelim estimate from knowledgeable forum members and its effect on Q1 numbers.
Any and all info appreciated.

I've been following this pretty closely, and it seems like deliveries are slower this weekend than expected, feels like less than 10 Ys have been delivered to normal customers so far. Although I don't have the numbers to back it up.

• Informative
Reactions: Tachyon
And when it drops 10% Monday he will blame everyone else...Sorry, off topic but I guess if TSLA drops another 10% it is relevant

There is no way the Dow nor the U.S. economy as a whole can hold up with hundreds of millions of people sequestered at home, countless businesses closed, and so many segments of economic life impacted (travel, lodging, restaurants, retail, malls, cinemas, stadium/arena sports/concerts... the list is endless). I now fully expect the Dow to revisit 15000 to 17000 in the next 60 days. And TSLA to be pulled down a proportional amount.