Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the OT question: any news behind the ~$7 jump between 9:55 and 10:20 EST ?
FTFY.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-11-12.11-13.png

• Funny
Reactions: UCF3
This is simply due to the stock split. Every investor that did not change its position will be calculated as increasing its position by 400%, because its shares are 5x what they were 3 months ago.

This seems quite mistaken to me. When I look at the chart I see the holdings are measured in dollars, not in number of shares. The stock split made no difference in the size of the holdings when they are measured in dollars.

I couldn't find how they get to their 2021 EPS estimate of $14.07, which I assume to be non-GAAP, but I will gladly take the under on this.

Even with 1.25M deliveries, Sales Gross Margin excl. Credits growing to 25.1%, and Operating Margin growing to 18.2%, I only get a 2021 non-GAAP EPS of $9.55.

I really don't see how $14.07 could happen. What does @The Accountant think?

Agree, I don't see earnings being over $8.00. There could be a small chance of beating that level, but 9.55 assumes the world is doing well and Tesla is delivering near 100% in all sectors. Surprises would be needed from Energy and Auto production capacity. Energy with growth over 100% and margins expanding more rapidly than expected and auto production ramping faster in Shanghai and starting in Berlin in greater quantity than expected and the same in Austin.
There are a lot of paths to beating earnings estimates, but to hit $14.07, you'd need everything to go right.
  • Fremont Production over 550,000
  • Shanghai Production approaches 500,000
  • Berlin Production hits 100,000 MIG MY
  • Austin Production hits 50,000 MY? CT/Semi?
  • Battery deliveries hit 1 billion per quarter
  • Solar installations 4 times 2020

Super-impressive manipulation walk-down there!

Once again, I'm perplexed what this really serves...

I think the stock is primed for a breakout. Just needs a Elon email leak or a Jim Cramer interview :).

Supply has pretty much dried out and IV has dropped to Nov 2019 levels. I do think the fears around second covid wave are overblown. For the first time in a while I think we are sitting on a buy the news event. I plan to dip into some LEAPS soon, the downside is very limited. Not advice

Good point...I do intend to hold long-term.

FWIW my not-advice if you've got a significant chunk to throw in long term is either:

Buy shares and sell OTM CCs against them if you don't expect any massive spikes over the sold period (be it weekly, monthly, whatever)

or

Buy DITM LEAPs, as IV is relatively low right now and you can get twice as many for the same investment amount and they'll generally move along with share price- this is better if you DO expect a massive spike at some point in your time horizon that would outweigh the sold CC premiums.

Literally nothing you wrote there is correct.

L5 already is approved by the government in FL and a number of other states

A car maker could sell an L5 car, legally, with no approval by anybody needed, in Florida today.

The court system doesn't make laws- state legislatures do.

In Florida the law is if your self driving car can obey all the same laws a human driven car can, it's legal to drive it right now.

Not "testing" but full on consumer or commercial use. Today. Right now.

The "WE ARE WAITING FOR APPROVAL" stuff is absolutely untrue in FL (and a number of other US states).

The reason nobody has deployed such a thing is nobody has one that actually works yet.

you can read the most relevant law (for FL) on this here-
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
I know that the limited release beta FSD is exciting, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. At the current level 2 that Tesla is offering, the driver is still COMPLETELY responsible for the vehicle and any accidents. We know that, nonetheless, with a beta FSD accident that the #MSM and FUD machines are waiting and will pounce on it. Seems better for this to happen during level 2 (where the driver is responsible) than to prematurely jump to a higher level. Maybe FL and other states will allow it, but Tesla and their stock holders are certainly is not ready yet!

I think the stock is primed for a breakout. Just needs a Elon email leak or a Jim Cramer interview :).

Supply has pretty much dried out and IV has dropped to Nov 2019 levels. I do think the fears around second covid wave are overblown. For the first time in a while I think we are sitting on a buy the news event. I plan to dip into some LEAPS soon, the downside is very limited. Not advice

IV @ 62. Converted 100 shares to 2 Jan 23 450 calls. If it drops might have to do a few more of these.

MMD seems to be getting much more reliable of late. Will be hit $421 again this afternoon? I'd love for someone to eventually write a fat blog post on how much they've made day-trading this nonsense MMD for the past few years. Include all the daily logs of transactions. You could literally become a millionaire without owning any real shares.

I know that the limited release beta FSD is exciting, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. At the current level 2 that Tesla is offering, the driver is still COMPLETELY responsible for the vehicle and any accidents.

Right. That's why I pointed out the issue isn't regulation holding higher levels back- it's that a reliable self-driving product doesn't actually exist yet.

I 100% expect Tesla would not release something at a higher-than-L2 level unless they were VERY confident in its reliability and safety- even if it'd be completely legal to do so, as it already is in a number of US states.... and I'd expect the current FSD-beta to spend a solid amount of time in wide L2 release before anything higher comes along.

Only question to my mind is how long before it gets from current narrowish L2 release to wide L2 release- Elon says by end of this year, and he's been significantly better with dates lately so we'll see.... (that'd also let them recognize more deferred FSD revenue for Q4 of course)

Reactions: insaneoctane
It's likely based on 13Fs being released around this time, which show holdings as of the end of 3rd quarter.

Low selling is explained by the fact that an investor who sold half its stock during Q3, will still have 2.5x as many shares, so will likely show up as a buyer in this data, further adding to inflated buyers data.

Let me add a few examples:

Investor A held 1M shares at end of Q2, held onto the same position, and has 5M shares now.

This data will think he bought 4M shares, and say he bought 4M * ~$400 = $1.6B

Investor B held 1M shares at end of Q2, sold 60%, holds 2M shares now.

This data will think he bought 1M shares, and say he bought 1M * ~$400 = $400M

So in other words, that marketbeat article was total garbage and should be ignored by both bulls and bears alike?

Reactions: FrankSG

Americans have decided they aren't afraid (right or wrong) and a have a vaccine in play now. Covid fears should be about gone in the market, the only remaining question is how much damage there actually is to the economy. Not so much in the scheme of things is my thought. IMO, it's sad, but the people financially harmed by the virus were mostly broke already. My LEAP holdings have been slowly ramping up. I'm holding more TSLA than I'd like to as a % right now but the upside is so much bigger than the down.

I know that the limited release beta FSD is exciting, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. At the current level 2 that Tesla is offering, the driver is still COMPLETELY responsible for the vehicle and any accidents. We know that, nonetheless, with a beta FSD accident that the #MSM and FUD machines are waiting and will pounce on it. Seems better for this to happen during level 2 (where the driver is responsible) than to prematurely jump to a higher level. Maybe FL and other states will allow it, but Tesla and their stock holders are certainly is not ready yet!
People need to keep in mind that even with true Level5 FSD accidents and deaths will still happen. Autonomy will greatly reduce accidents and death but not eliminate them.

Also, in my opinion,, the driver will ALWAYS ultimately be responsible for the actions of the vehicle up to the point at which the driver is "locked out" and denied the ability to control the vehicle. Just like the pilot of an aircraft is responsible for the safe operations of his/her aircraft even when operating in auto pilot.

Dan