Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I mentioned, in my Fidelity account if you pick market order as the type then "on close" is an option in the time in force dropdown.

if you pick limit as order type, that ON CLOSE goes away and is NOT an option under time in force.
What's the difference between a regular limit order and a LOC order? Simply the time delay? I think that was a question being asked up-thread.

Reactions: hoang51
Can someone explain the benefits of using LOC today versus just a “limit + EXT” when attempting to catch a spike?

A limit sell order often closes above the limit price. The potential benefit of a Limit On Close order over a regular Limit order is that many/most expect there to be a closing imbalance to the Buy Side today. If so, a LOC order would close at a higher price than a regular Limit Sell order placed right before the market closed (assuming at least the Limit price was reached for both Limit orders).

In the event that all shares are not acquired at the closing or opening cross, the funds will be forced to buy in the market Monday morning, correct?
Theoretically they could acquire shares after-hours, which will resume just after the closing cross, but my understanding is they will more likely wait until Monday if only a certain % of the required shares are obtained.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
If the limit on close fills, it will have impacted the closing price (and indexers with MOC orders will get filled at that price). They don't get to choose who fills their orders.

My point is the index fund would not be interested in placing a limit order. If they did and it is not filled, they will be willingly compromising their tracking of the index.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
In the event that all shares are not acquired at the closing or opening cross, the funds will be forced to buy in the market Monday morning, correct?

That's how I feel this is all playing out. They'll use the last hour of today and after hours to try and find all the shares they need that people are willing to part with, but they'll still come up a couple 10's of millions of shares short...which will lead to an interesting Monday morning

So how exactly do those MOC and LOC buy orders get filled. If indeed 130M shares are wanted to be bought at close price doesnt that also mean that 130M shares need to be made available by people/institutions that are saying go ahead sell these shares at closing price.

Yeah I haven't seen the description of their actual algo. They list their success criteria, of which the most important is to fill as many orders as possible. But how is the price determined exactly, I'm not sure I understand.

Will we see a big drop just before 120M+ shares are scheduled to be bought and taken off the market? I'm wagering no.

We will see about 20 head fakes between now and then tho!
I think all of these conspiracies about dark pools and insider share trading have gotten to me. ;) I don't have much in the way of short trades to worry about either way though. I sold off enough of my short term options to recover my principal so YOLO time.

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
That's how I feel this is all playing out. They'll use the last hour of today and after hours to try and find all the shares they need that people are willing to part with, but they'll still come up a couple 10's of millions of shares short...which will lead to an interesting Monday morning

Thanks, this is my thinking as well hence my question on the mechanics. If they truly are tracking the index, the longer they are not 100% adjusted, the more out of whack they will get.

Hi Bloomberg! If you want to borrow any of my memes you may, just as long as you credit me. ;)
Anyone with IBKR? Trying to enter an order with the price higher than the current market (you wonder why?) and getting a message "Confirm Mandatory Cap Price" with no specific info on the cap. Anyone contacted them what does it mean exactly?
I always get that notification, it doesn't seem to impact any of my trades though. I just tested this with another stock with a 10X limit compared to market price and the order submitted fine.