Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"... Haiti to make reliable, sustainable, and green electricity for a critical hospital in Haiti. Tesla Powerpacks will be used as energy storage solutions as they are more reliable than competitors in the industry. For now, Powerpacks continue to arrive on the island to become part of a larger solar-powered system."

Here's a thought, if Tesla starts putting this kind of gaming horsepower into ALL it's vehicles, it will be the biggest buyer of APU/GPU's on the planet in a few years; potentially taking on cloud providers.

I could see Tesla start putting this into the 3, Y and CT. It would be a huge benefit to also allow casting to a larger render target. May not need to buy another gaming rig/console. Thinking about cost to Tesla, I wonder if it is more than $200 BOM increase? I'd bet the price drops dramatically if they ramp to 1M/year or more.

Well, that might be a good point actually. Humans like to be a little unique. Most brands do this by offering a mish mash of products that step all over each other. Perhaps something relatively simple like more paint/wheel options would help provide that desire.

The rumors about Tesla installed wraps would work well here if true.
Sure... that's describing what some customers might want.

But the assertion was that "They need new and more colors to diversify the sheer quantity of vehicles."

As long as Tesla is selling every vehicle they can make, they don't need to do anything... especially one that potentially slows down the production process.

But the assertion was that "They need new and more colors to diversify the sheer quantity of vehicles."

As long as Tesla is selling every vehicle they can make, they don't need to do anything... especially one that potentially slows down the production process.
And no matter if there were 100 colours, there would be colours that people would complain they don't have. If you want a different colour, get it wrapped--probably less expensive that what Tesla would need to charge for a custom colour.

Clearly for now there is no need but something to keep in mind IMO. Let's plan for the day when Tesla is selling 20 million a year.

Those got to be folded 30x steel.

Not necessarily. I believe that folded flat sheet stainless steel construction (ala Cybertruck) is a 1st approximation for Tesla's production technology. When they're ready to move beyond IDRA injection molding tech, I think they'll move to injection molded stainless steel metal foam.

Indeed, it may be possible to cast an entire robotaxi (integrated bodywork and structural components) in a single shot (btys not included - but space allocated). Aerospace applications do apply (the voids in the metal foam provide significant radiation shielding - SpaceX will be interested). :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Credit to Tom Nash for pointing this out to me but I think it's relevant to our constant discussions about naked shorting etc.

Kaufman is now in charge of Biden's transition team and had previously pressured the SEC to implement changes that would make the ridiculous process of naked shorting impossible. This suggests that he might be in a position now to push this further.

Kaufman to SEC: Do your job

English is the silly putty of languages. We like to absorb anything we touch. It's derived from Latin.
Don't hold your breath. Settlement failures are at the root of this problem. Too much focus is on naked shorting. Settlement failures also occur with long buys when the broker doesn't technically have the shares to sell. Share lending is actually considered an "investment strategy" for the Big Dogs--they make great money lending. And since the lending has no expiry, they can continue to fail to settle because "well, the lending process takes time. We'll have the shares probably next week, DTCC *wink wink*."

This game can go on and on because Wall Street has all the shares and all the money.

Companies like JPM and Goldman have transfer, broker and banking divisions. Maybe the transfer division complains about settlement failures for their book keeping, but the brokerage division is making a killing on short sales, while the banking division is making a killing on share lending. And these companies have had (and probably continue to have) employees at the SEC and DTCC. When the fox is guarding the hen house, there is no incentive to change anything.

The topic of settlement failures is central to "Naked, Short and Greedy: Wall Street's Failure to Deliver" by Dr. Susanne Trimbath. The author actually worked at the Depository Trust Company, a subsidiary of the Depository Trust and Clearing Corporation. This is the most important finance/business/Wall Street book I've ever read. I can't recommend it enough.

The author also argues that settlement failure data from DTCC also shows that some companies have way more than their fair share of fails. The way we see these near-vertical rises and drops with TSLA SP is evidence of SP manipulation, not "natural market forces" as is often suggested.

Don't hold your breath. Settlement failures are at the root of this problem. Too much focus is on naked shorting. Settlement failures also occur with long buys when the broker doesn't technically have the shares to sell. Share lending is actually considered an "investment strategy" for the Big Dogs--they make great money lending. And since the lending has no expiry, they can continue to fail to settle because "well, the lending process takes time. We'll have the shares probably next week, DTCC *wink wink*."

This game can go on and on because Wall Street has all the shares and all the money.

Companies like JPM and Goldman have transfer, broker and banking divisions. Maybe the transfer division complains about settlement failures for their book keeping, but the brokerage division is making a killing on short sales, while the banking division is making a killing on share lending. And these companies have had (and probably continue to have) employees at the SEC and DTCC. When the fox is guarding the hen house, there is no incentive to change anything.

The topic of settlement failures is central to "Naked, Short and Greedy: Wall Street's Failure to Deliver" by Dr. Susanne Trimbath. The author actually worked at the Depository Trust Company, a subsidiary of the Depository Trust and Clearing Corporation. This is the most important finance/business/Wall Street book I've ever read. I can't recommend it enough.

The author also argues that settlement failure data from DTCC also shows that some companies have way more than their fair share of fails. The way we see these near-vertical rises and drops with TSLA SP is evidence of SP manipulation, not "natural market forces" as is often suggested.
Just makes me anticipate the impending stock split, but first the impending annual shareholder meeting vote to allow more splits. When is that meeting again? (I'm hoping it is announced soon as I'm usually needing a 3+ hour meeting about this time of the year from Elon, Zach and Drew.

Gives FSD (Failed Stock Delivery) a whole new meaning.

TL;DR - Here's the description of the book; chapter by chapter: Spiramus Press | Naked, Short and Greedy - Wall Street's Failure to Deliver : By Susanne Trimbath

Last edited:
Credit to Tom Nash for pointing this out to me but I think it's relevant to our constant discussions about naked shorting etc.

Kaufman is now in charge of Biden's transition team and had previously pressured the SEC to implement changes that would make the ridiculous process of naked shorting impossible. This suggests that he might be in a position now to push this further.

Kaufman to SEC: Do your job

English is the silly putty of languages. We like to absorb anything we touch. It's derived from Latin.
English is actually a Germanic language but a large amount of Latin root words are absorbed yeah. Technically, anything from Romance languages (which are actually derived from Latin) is a loanword in English but I doubt anyone cares at this point.

English is actually a Germanic language but a large amount of Latin root words are absorbed yeah. Technically, anything from Romance languages (which are actually derived from Latin) is a loanword in English but I doubt anyone cares at this point.
1622577927690.png

"Loanword" is probably proto-germanic in origin. Around here we would say "lånord". So there. Back to the program!

Closing thought on the shipping-cars-out-of-Texas subject... Tesla will ignore this until Legislation clears the way, and TSLA stock will be completely unaffected, and here is why:

1) there are four assembly locations - Shanghai, Fremont, Berlin, Austin - and five if you count Semi @ Sparks. Only one of those locations will suffer any additional shipping costs... Austin. Hardly any effect to Tesla's global vehicle shipment costs.
2) the Texas factory is going to supply Model Y to the Eastern half of the country, and Cybertruck to the entire nation. A small fraction of Cybertruck production will have to "come back into Texas." (I concede, Texas is a big truck market, and there may be some local pride causing extra orders in Texas) A small fraction of Model Y will have to come back to Texas _unless_ all Texas production is diverted to non-Texas states, and Texas shipments continue to come from Fremont. (crazy... but it's one option in a crazy situation)

As far as Tesla's global shipments go, this problem is a small wrinkle - even if the Legislation doesn't fix it.

When Legislation clears the way for Giga Tesla deliveries in Texas, I don't think the stock will see much of a bump. We'll already be way into Tesla's future roadmap and it will be a small wrinkle... and it's a subject not that many regular people really understand - especially if Tesla have been maneuvering around it for years and appear untroubled by it.