Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great close to this Morgan Stanley note from this morning:

"We believe the next 2 to 3 years of EV growth will largely be dictated by who has access to the greatest volume of low cast batteries, reliably sourced. Using a bread-truck analogy for battery cells, we think successful EV players will be the ones closest to the bread-truck. Tesla owns the bakery."

1625243764504.png

... OR, a "two-week shutdown" never happened, it was false/exaggerated from a single source, posted retroactively (so it can't be ground-truthed at the time), AND Model Y production from Giga Shanghai was exactly inline with expectations.

Just like the "five-day holiday" for Dragon boats was actually a 3-hour tour... :p

Y'all gotta stop accepting social media posts from China uncritically. They are motivated information providers, likely compensated too.

So instead, now we wait until the 2nd Model Y GA line is brought online at Giga Shanghai likely in 2021 H2. When this sucker hits 88 mph, ...

Cheers!
Well the counter to that would be, if there was no 2 week shutdown for the Y lines......then I would really be wondering what happened with production out of China for Q2. It would seem like there was a pretty big blunder on the production expansion of the Y during Q2. The two week Y line shutdown would actually make the Q2 production numbers make a lot more sense in terms of why the output wasn't much higher than it should have been if they were practically following the MIC 3 production expansion from last year.

Reactions: transpondster
  • Record Revenues
  • Record Gross Profit
  • Record GAAP Earnings
  • Record Non-GAAP Earnngs
  • Record Everything ....(even with $115m in Bitcoin impariment charge)

I posted details in the financial thread here:

Here are summaries (one versus Q2 2020 and the other versus Q1 2021):
1625244091271.png

Old teardowns don't apply, the Palladium pack is new. Elon told us during the Q1 conference call:

"So it took quite a bit of of development to ensure that the battery of the new S/X is safe."

Do you think they 'made sure the pack is safe' w/o fire retardant? Sandy Munro will tell us soon enough how the bty pack is built when he does his Plaid teardown analysis.

The assertion was:

"I said they "had a fire retardant in the pack". Different materials and distribution within the pack but still fire retardant materials were involved. "

To which I asked if there was any evidence.

So, "No."

Last edited:
Well the counter to that would be, if there was no 2 week shutdown for the Y lines......then I would really be wondering what happened with production out of China for Q2. It would seem like there was a pretty big blunder on the production expansion of the Y during Q2. The two week Y line shutdown would actually make the Q2 production numbers make a lot more sense in terms of why the output wasn't much higher than it should have been if they were practically following the MIC 3 production expansion from last year.

What was you expectation for capacity increase for MiC Model Y in Q2? The Q2 Prod. results we well inline with what I expected, given the goals.

IMO, Q2 was all about localizing the supply chain. The goal of this is to cut logistics costs, increase margins, and increase supply.

ie: during Q1, 100% of 3/Y motors came from Giga Nevada. But we now know (via comments at the Plaid delivery event) that MiC Model 3/Y now uses a 'square copper wind' on its motors, and that Fremont will switch to this style soon. Ergo, China is now building all it's own motors locally.

All this is leading up to a 2nd GA line for Model Y sometime in 2021 H2. That's when we'll see a large production jump, while also keeping margins high due to achieving a near 100% localized supply chain.

Cake+Eat = Win.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It’s clear the Market Manip… eh, Makers will get their desired 677.50. But the positions taken to push it down 20 points have to be unwound again, so here’s hoping we break 700 on Monday.

Indeed. Although we'll have to wait for Tuesday. NASDAQ is closed Monday due to Sunday being Independence Day.

What was you expectation for capacity increase for MiC Model Y in Q2? The Q2 Prod. results we well inline with what I expected, given the goals.

IMO, Q2 was all about localizing the supply chain (ie: 100% of 3/Y motors can from Giga Nevada in Q1). The goal of this is to cut logistics costs, increase margins, and increase supply.

This is all leading up to a 2nd GA line for Model Y in 2021 H2. Then we'll see a large production jump, while keeping margins high due to finally acheiving a near 100% localized supply chain.

Cake+Eat.

I completely agree that Tesla's focus during Q2 was localization of the supply chain and getting logistics ready for heavier production output which I actually think lends weight to the rumored Y line shut down. I was just expecting to see that jump in production by the 3rd month of the quarter and it looks like the production jump/expansion will happen in Q3 instead.

Btw, I should note that my 240k for Q3 estimate could be low.....quite low. The fact that they're starting Y exports for Q3 and the SR MIC Y is starting to be introduced are good signs that the production jump is imminent.

Last edited:
Possibly, we don't yet know, but the reply was to the claim that Tesla has always had fire suppression materials in S/X packs. That is not the case.
I didn't say fire suppression, I said fire retardant. There is a difference there.

"A fire retardant is a substance that is used to slow down or stop the spread of fire or reduce its intensity."

But I suppose you think there is no coolant in the pack and the pack has no structure, just cells magically floating in space waiting to be roasted on an open fire.

A fire caused by the impact began in the front battery module – the battery pack has a total of 16 modules – but was contained to the front section of the car by internal firewalls within the pack. Vents built into the battery pack directed the flames down towards the road and away from the vehicle.

It is important to note that the fire in the battery was contained to a small section near the front by the internal firewalls built into the pack structure.

but my reading comprension must be faulty, surely tesla has done nothing to design a pack that retards the spread of a fire in the pack, no matter what I read.

Last edited:
A picture I saw had the Plaid badge removed and photographed on the ground. It obviously survived, that's not an issue. The issue is why is someone photographing it like a trophy and posting on social media for sensational reasons. This are motivated actions.

However this is way off-topic already, so I'll leave this here for those who want info/discussion:

Tesla Model S Plaid fire: Strange observations and claims to date | Teslarati.com

Cheers!
Imagine living in a world where this story broke, someone here immediately started a thread titled, "Spontaneous Plaid Explosion!", and all this conversation lived in there.

Now that's a nice world. One we will never live in, but a nice world.

• Record Revenues
  • Record Gross Profit
  • Record GAAP Earnings
  • Record Non-GAAP Earnngs
  • Record Everything ....(even with $115m in Bitcoin impariment charge)

I posted details in the financial thread here:

Here are summaries (one versus Q2 2020 and the other versus Q1 2021):
View attachment 680711
Great job, thanks.
but “essentially this is a busted growth story.”
words that will live in infamy

I didn't say fire suppression, I said fire retardant. There is a difference there.

"A fire retardant is a substance that is used to slow down or stop the spread of fire or reduce its intensity."

But I suppose you think there is no coolant in the pack and the pack has no structure, just cells magically floating in space waiting to be roasted on an open fire.

but my reading comprension must be faulty, surely tesla has done nothing to design a pack that retards the spread of a fire in the pack, no matter what I read.
Again I ask: Do you have any evidence for "a fire retardant in the pack". Different materials and distribution within the pack but still fire retardant materials were involved."

Nothing I've heard from an authoritative source makes this claim, nor have I seen any visual evidence for such in a Model S pack.

If it's there in newer pack designs (and I hope it is), I'd like to know it definitively, because previous pack designs certainly did not have it.

Again I ask: Do you have any evidence for "a fire retardant in the pack". Different materials and distribution within the pack but still fire retardant materials were involved."

Nothing I've heard from an authoritative source makes this claim, nor have I seen any visual evidence for such in a Model S pack.

If it's there in newer pack designs (and I hope it is), I'd like to know it definitively, because previous pack designs certainly did not have it.
Do you not understand english? Fire Retardant is a concept not a single type of material. Water is a fire retardant, any sort of coolant is a fire retardant. Are you saying I have to document proof that there is a coolant in the Tesla battery pack?

Moderator: and that’s the last post in this (for this thread) irrelevant discussion.

Retired other mod: Not only is the discussion off-topic, it's getting acrimonious. When my kids start bickering, they both get sent to their rooms. So cool it, whether you think you're the one who's right, or ... well, of course you all think you're the one who's right. So stop the bickering whether it's this topic or another. Don't make me come back. --ggr

You-Know-Who: This is worse than pathetic. As I claw through the next nine hours’ posts, there had better not be any more such posts. GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the stock market closing today at 2pm EST or 4pm?
From my etrade account: On Friday July 2, 2021, the bond market will close at 2 PM ET. On Monday, July 5, stock, options, and bond markets will be closed. Futures markets will close at 1 PM ET.

Nothing mention of stock market. close as normal I assume. Monday market close