Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused because the 1st page says this

"IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES AUGUST 2, 2022 Received; read the first time AUGUST 3, 2022 Read the second time and placed on the calendar"

Also today sure appears to be a buy on the rumor sell on the news day. Oh and as for the Split. Still think 3-1 was the wrong ratio. 5-1 or even 10-1 would have been far better. Get to about $100 per share would have been better.

Reactions: PKEllefsen
Elon commenting last night on Twitter and that it would move ahead x.com is confirmation he's still seeking to buy Twitter. Which raises questions of Elon selling more Tesla and raises the odds of Twitter being solid to him at a premium. Odds are probably ~46 a share, so discounted a bit for risk 41/42 makes sense.

The TWTR stuff struck me as being flippin huge. I can't find the source, but somewhere out there, I think in an interview, Elon discussed X.com and the direction it was being taken, different than what he envisioned. He suggested that X.com could have been the largest player in financial transactions.

Paypal. Visa, apple pay, all of it rolled into one. Zelle.

Elon friends with Jack.
Jack knows TWTR.
Perhaps Jack might think out of the "box" about payments? Might Jack know about this world some and share it with Elon, who also knows that world some.

Elon said TWTR could accelerate X.com mission by several years, that was the value, but he could build from the ground up.

HUGE. Made me consider buying in.

Anyone find the link? I dare the Utuber that gets a video out first with this reference to give me credit for your next topic...

Reactions: Nocturnal
Changing the subject, it looks like Tesla has saturated the US market for S Plaids. Today I have 12 available for immediate delivery and 3-7 weeks for a special order. Doesn’t seem to make a difference how I option it.
That’s consistent with European Plaid orders opening.
I just hope it Europe gets saturated faster than the US (which took like 18 months). I’m lusting for a new (non-plaid) S…

I am confused because the 1st page says this

"IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES AUGUST 2, 2022 Received; read the first time AUGUST 3, 2022 Read the second time and placed on the calendar"
Yeah, that part confused me too, but it looks to be a technical move to place into the record a bill which is a skeleton for the new bill. According to several of the sources on twitter, the language in this bill will be replaced by the language in the Inflation Reduction act of 2022, though with a few changes. According to a very recent press conference by Senator Schumer, the main changes are:

Removal of the carried interest loophole changes
Addition of an Excise Tax on share buy backs
Reduction of some of the 15% minimum corporate tax provisions

He did not mention the Arizona water resiliency funding, though it has been widely reported.

Even this, though is not the final form of the bill. The Senator also allowed that there will likely be many amendments offered by other senators tomorrow, though they did not have session today so that the parliamentarian could work her way through the entire bill.

Reactions: AZRI11
There are a lot of possibilities and that is one.
It is quite clearly the play with Twitter... the likelihood of the deal matters more than anything else with that stock. Any raise in the the likelihood of the deal with Twitter, raises the chance that Elon sells more shares. While in the window where he can sell, the risk and overhead of that will weigh on TLSA. How much it weighs on Tesla is really hard to quantify, though it clearly exists. On Twitter it is pretty easy to quantify. What ever the deal price is expected to be minus a risk premium.

Elon commenting last night on Twitter and that it would move ahead x.com is confirmation he's still seeking to buy Twitter. Which raises questions of Elon selling more Tesla and raises the odds of Twitter being solid to him at a premium. Odds are probably ~46 a share, so discounted a bit for risk 41/42 makes sense.
Yep. Were I a day trader, and hearing Elon yesterday, I would have loaded up on Twitter on the open. It is up 2.5% from the open.

To be honest, those comments caught me by surprise too. I realize Tesla has yet to offer 1M mile chemistry, but I wouldn't think current gen packs would pencil out to only 12 or 15 years honestly. Hell, our current family minivan is 15 years old (original owner). My son's C5 corvette is 23 years old.

It really depends upon when you consider the pack's range to be not enough. The 85 pack I had only lost about 8% after seven years and 130K miles. (The expectation, when I purchased the 2013, was 11% lost--5% the first year and 1% every year thereafter.) However, there were a lot of 60 and 75 packs sold. I suspect those account for most of the recycled packs. Also when Tesla reduced the Supercharging rate, it likely prompted a number of pack changes. I think Elon was being conservative. I upgraded mainly due to the slower charging times, though that was later improved.

Maybe, but using his and your suggested math...
12K/yr * (12 - 15 yr) = 144K - 180K. So using "average" numbers with what Elon shared last night are significantly below what I expect....easily by a factor of 2x or 3x.
The Model 3 I lost to an accident in June had just over 202k miles on it (I assume one of the highest in the world) with only about 9% degradation with tons of supercharging. I would have been shocked if it had not gone to 300k and fully expected 400k. 300k divided by 15k miles/year (what sane people drive 🤣 ) is 20 years. Yes I know age plays a part as well, but most of my degradation happened in the first 90k miles.

I think Elon was being conservative, and you shouldn't read too much into this off-the-cuff statement. I like this new Elon whose off-the-cuff statements are conservative. :cool:

*Oh, and I did a small buy the round out the numbers for a 3-1 split after the first drop, so of course it went lower. I've now put a lower one in to catch the falling knife, so it should reverse and go up now! :p

On Split:

There is zero difference in underlying value of the company.
It takes large money to make a company this size to move up, not retail.
The "story" being pumped out is the split will drive price up A LOT.
Even bulls like Gary Black suggest as much.
Gary sold out last time a big move up happened.

Ignore all the crap and decide for yourself.
Yep, heard this all last time. Same pizza, smaller pieces, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Yep, heard this all last time. Same pizza, smaller pieces, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I like pizza. Any size pieces.

Especially when the 🍕🍕🍕get bigger the longer I wait before eating them. HODL!

Magic Pizza, nom, nom, nom 🍕

Disclaimer: This is meant as neither poetry nor any derivative thereof.

Last edited:
Ok...$TSLA down 5.5% today based on what?

1. Elon too giddy at shareholder's meeting
2. New giga factory announcement
3. Stock split approved
4. 2M run rate by end of 2022
5. 100M vehicles by 2032
6. 10-12 Giga factories
7. Solving real world AI
8. Optimus disrupting the economy

It is none of the above....hours of digging and research yielded the real reason for the drop. You're welcome!

:) :)

1659718930217.png

The Model 3 I lost to an accident in June had just over 202k miles on it (I assume one of the highest in the world) with only about 9% degradation with tons of supercharging. I would have been shocked if it had not gone to 300k and fully expected 400k. 300k divided by 15k miles/year (what sane people drive 🤣 ) is 20 years. Yes I know age plays a part as well, but most of my degradation happened in the first 90k miles.

I think Elon was being conservative, and you shouldn't read too much into this off-the-cuff statement. I like this new Elon whose off-the-cuff statements are conservative. :cool:

*Oh, and I did a small buy the round out the numbers for a 3-1 split after the first drop, so of course it went lower. I've now put a lower one in to catch the falling knife, so it should reverse and go up now! :p
Elon was thinking robotaxi total miles in 10 -12 yrs. 100k miles per year.

Ok...$TSLA down 5.5% today based on what?

1. Elon too giddy at shareholder's meeting
2. New giga factory announcement
3. Stock split approved
4. 2M run rate by end of 2022
5. 100M vehicles by 2032
6. 10-12 Giga factories
7. Solving real world AI
8. Optimus disrupting the economy

It is none of the above....hours of digging and research yielded the real reason for the drop. You're welcome!

:) :)

View attachment 837103
Clearly the run rate at the end of the year and over seven years is too much for the market to handle. The real reason for the minor drop is people want in before the stock split.

This isn't day traders. Volume is way too strong. This is nothing but a classic bear raid with a ton of naked shorting creating the selling volume. Simple as that. There's no way investors and even day traders would sell out in mass literally days before the SEC stock split filing.

It's completely specific to TSLA too. Big Tech stocks are all at their usual beta. High growth/No earnings stocks are actually in the green today. TSLA is being targeted. And when it's targeted like this, it's always naked shorting.
Perhaps those in a position to do naked shorting don’t expect to profit much directly from that shorting this time.

Rather, perhaps they just want to keep the dumb shorts from heading for the exit in a trickle. Those in a position to abuse their ability to naked short may aim to exit their short positions before the dumb shorts do, proceed to fling themselves into long positions, and hope to profit from a spike in the stock price as the dumb shorts rush for the exits all at once.

Personally, I’m fine with this. 😁

Nelson Hsieh has outlined his tracking of the political sausage to the Volt Equity blog,
updated today August 5:

The union advantage to GM/Ford is undermined by their not having "final assembly"
in the US -- the previous wording was "North America". Also the rebates only happen
in states with dealerships, so Tesla owners have to wait until taxtime it appears.

There is much minutiae on Hsieh's regularly updated blog page, except for
battery materials requirements, covered elsewhere.

Nelson Hsieh has outlined his tracking of the political sausage to the Volt Equity blog,
updated today August 5:

The union advantage to GM/Ford is undermined by their not having "final assembly"
in the US -- the previous wording was "North America". Also the rebates only happen
in states with dealerships, so Tesla owners have to wait until taxtime it appears.

Back a few pages there was wording that Dealer meant anyone who sold new cars.

updated today August 5:

As discussed that is all based on the old BBB bill that is dead. The text hasn't gotten replaced with the current proposal.

The TWTR stuff struck me as being flippin huge. I can't find the source, but somewhere out there, I think in an interview, Elon discussed X.com and the direction it was being taken, different than what he envisioned. He suggested that X.com could have been the largest player in financial transactions.

Paypal. Visa, apple pay, all of it rolled into one. Zelle.

Elon friends with Jack.
Jack knows TWTR.
Perhaps Jack might think out of the "box" about payments? Might Jack know about this world some and share it with Elon, who also knows that world some.

Elon said TWTR could accelerate X.com mission by several years, that was the value, but he could build from the ground up.

HUGE. Made me consider buying in.

Anyone find the link? I dare the Utuber that gets a video out first with this reference to give me credit for your next topic...

This is not the video, but it does talk about grand scope at 2:00 mark.

Reactions: Rarity