Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How anyone could be selling calls with a split coming up is beyond me.

Add in to that, a credit rating upgrade that could happen at any time along with Tesla at fully operation again. Plus we're already halfway through the quarter. There's a legit chance Tesla breaks 400k for Q3 and I think a very likely chance that Tesla beats the current estimates of 370k.

Just an idiotic thing to be doing to me. I may get annoyed and frustrated at the weekly and monthly trading action of TSLA but there's no denying that when this thing rips, it rips hard and I feel no sympathy for anyone caught on the other side of it that's selling calls.

As I mentioned throughout the week, I'm in no way surprised by the outcome of this week. The week before the stock split detail get announced and the sharedholders meeting + a very lopsided Call to Put ratio? Yeah that's a ripe condition for a lot of shenanigans. I view today as Wall St's attempt to get as many shares as possible before the SEC stock detail filing that we all know is going to come sometime before the market opens on Monday.
"I may get annoyed and frustrated at the (daily), weekly and monthly trading action of TSLA"

More accurate now.

Changing the subject, it looks like Tesla has saturated the US market for S Plaids. Today I have 12 available for immediate delivery and 3-7 weeks for a special order. Doesn’t seem to make a difference how I option it.
Does anyone know the profit Margin on the S/X vehicles? Curious how much room they could lower prices to maintain demand and a healthy profit. Thought Elon said the refresh models actually cost less to make then the pre-refresh models but can't find the source.

Reactions: Drumheller
I've come to accept that I'll never understand the market, at least short therm. Outstanding shareholder meeting, 2M target run rate by EOY, 100 million total production over 10 years, AI/Robot discussion, step closer to stock split....expected a really nice jump, not a 5% crap! Oh well, here for the long term, not day trading with the kids. This gives me something I can use-an excuse to drink!

IDK... looking at Put Volume, focus seems to drop it under the 900 mark today. And 50,000 seems like a lot.
Desperate times for those on the dark side - wishing them all the best.
So much for that volume holding us up. It's still not bad, but down we go anyway. I guess a combination of Fed looming and reiterated TWTR overhang? Bizarre.

Anywho.....all in good time. Naked shorting must unwind eventually. (I'm just assuming it does, not like there's any transparency whatsoever)

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I've come to accept that I'll never understand the market, at least short therm. Outstanding shareholder meeting, 2M target run rate by EOY, 100 million total production over 10 years, AI/Robot discussion, step closer to stock split....expected a really nice jump, not a 5% crap! Oh well, here for the long term, not day trading with the kids. This gives me something I can use-an excuse to drink!
When its down given the context, I ask myself who would benefit from a drop like this?

The dance on the ev bill isn’t over yet. Remember that the Dems only have 50 votes, so there are 48 more Senators who can hold up the bill to get something for their constituents. This could turn into the worst frankenbill of all time, at least til the next one.
With the reintroduction of union based discounts and the inherent carbon friendly subsidies, I fear it's already a frankenbill. It just keeps getting worse. This is so disfunctional 😒

EDIT: I hope this latest union info is proven inaccurate...

Last edited:
I've come to accept that I'll never understand the market, at least short therm. Outstanding shareholder meeting, 2M target run rate by EOY, 100 million total production over 10 years, AI/Robot discussion, step closer to stock split....expected a really nice jump, not a 5% crap!
well, if we manage to get steered into a war with China, that would change things for everybody. The next few geographically / geopolitically spread out gigafactories can't come soon enough

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
So much for that volume holding us up. It's still not bad, but down we go anyway. I guess a combination of Fed looming and reiterated TWTR overhang? Bizarre.

Anywho.....all in good time. Naked shorting must unwind eventually. (I'm just assuming it does, not like there's any transparency whatsoever)
I take the volume as day traders moving around and shorts taking advantage of weakness. There was an expectation of today being the +1 split announcement day (misguided IMO since the votes have to be tabulated... might be AH today, but more likely Monday) and we have the movement around that. Add to that, the shorts know a bump is coming soon, so they have a ton of incentive to bear raid the stock to hopefully in their eyes put a lower cap on the stock. I think that the market will see through all of this in time, but today is a prime day to push the stock down. These things all unwind and correct in time.

When its down given the context, I ask myself who would benefit from a drop like this?
I mean, there was a ton of incentive for Wall St to want to cap or drive down TSLA this week - to buy more TSLA share before the SEC stock split filing

And a very lopsided Call to Put ratio - ton of incentive for MM's to step in hard.

Per Twitter rumbles, the August 3rd version on https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376/text may be stale/ not fully updated. There may not be union based rebate...
I'm seeing a ton of confusion out there. Mainly stemming from one guy on Twitter that I think mistakenly read the wrong bill or the wrong bill got updated in the system. It's word for word the Build Back America EV bill.

If one or two things got altered, then that's to be expected. But the entire ev bill is different. Which tells me it's not true.

As per Artful Dodger, I don't understand how Manchin would sign off on this. He was very clearly against it previously. Democrats trying to ram it through and hope he doesn't squawk?
This is exactly why Sinema wants the union bonus added. She can look like she's in favor of the bill while essentially killing it for her d(owners).

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I take the volume as day traders moving around and shorts taking advantage of weakness. There was an expectation of today being the +1 split announcement day (misguided IMO since the votes have to be tabulated... might be AH today, but more likely Monday) and we have the movement around that. Add to that, the shorts know a bump is coming soon, so they have a ton of incentive to bear raid the stock to hopefully in their eyes put a lower cap on the stock. I think that the market will see through all of this in time, but today is a prime day to push the stock down. These things all unwind and correct in time.
This isn't day traders. Volume is way too strong. This is nothing but a classic bear raid with a ton of naked shorting creating the selling volume. Simple as that. There's no way investors and even day traders would sell out in mass literally days before the SEC stock split filing.

It's completely specific to TSLA too. Big Tech stocks are all at their usual beta. High growth/No earnings stocks are actually in the green today. TSLA is being targeted. And when it's targeted like this, it's always naked shorting.

That makes more sense. It seems like that was all back to what the prior bill was.
I'm seeing a ton of confusion out there. Mainly stemming from one guy on Twitter that I think mistakenly read the wrong bill or the wrong bill got updated in the system. It's word for word the Build Back America EV bill.

If one or two things got altered, then that's to be expected. But the entire ev bill is different. Which tells me it's not true.

Is it the same? It has the updated income limits and 10kWh pack threshold. Seems like they got through the find/replace, but not bulk add/ delete changes.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
How anyone could be selling calls with a split coming up is beyond me. We, along with Wall St, are all expecting the same 3 week window as last time. What if Tesla shortens that to two weeks? Or even a week? There are no rules against that.

Add in to that, a credit rating upgrade that could happen at any time along with Tesla at fully operation again. Plus we're already halfway through the quarter. There's a legit chance Tesla breaks 400k for Q3 and I think a very likely chance that Tesla beats the current estimates of 370k.

Just an idiotic thing to be doing to me. I may get annoyed and frustrated at the weekly and monthly trading action of TSLA but there's no denying that when this thing rips, it rips hard and I feel no sympathy for anyone caught on the other side of it that's selling calls.

As I mentioned throughout the week, I'm in no way surprised by the outcome of this week. The week before the stock split detail get announced and the sharedholders meeting + a very lopsided Call to Put ratio? Yeah that's a ripe condition for a lot of shenanigans. I view today as Wall St's attempt to get as many shares as possible before the SEC stock detail filing that we all know is going to come sometime before the market opens on Monday.
Already done my Q3 delivery number. This will come as a shock; 383,000.

Is it the same? It has the updated income limits and 10kWh pack threshold. Seems like they got through the find/replace, but not bulk add/ delete changes.
That's all exact wording from the Build Back America EV bill. Which is what I'm saying. This is the Build Back Amercia EV bill, like word for word.

As far as I'm seeing, it doesn't have any of the texts from the recently announced EV bill.

The income limits, the Union clause, the battery pack requirements, etc....