Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ron said how do you expect to make a $20,000 car before Elon diverted to say we expect to make cheaper vehicles.
As someone who sees the need for a smaller cheaper vehicle I am so glad to hear this has been mentioned to Ron.

Tesla could sell such a vehicle for $25-30,000.

It’sa question of when this is announced and when they can be mass produced.

9am this morning: Glad I didn't buy puts.
Sitting at the airport after today: Why the hell didn't I buy puts?
I did worse than that:
1667594006331.png

Bought PUT for 1.6, sold it for 1.95 shortly after, over 20% profit not bad, right ?
Wrong, few hours later I could have sold it at 11x.

After a two-year hiatus, Ron Baron's annual conference was renewed today. Since he is a Tesla and SpaceX investor on friendly terms with Elon Musk, he apparently felt it would be a coup to interview Elon. However, the timing was bad due to currently huge media attention on Elon's Twitter acquisition and related comments.

Too many people nowadays conflate Twitter with Tesla, even though they are separate companies: one private and the othe public. It also came at at time when Elon would've been stressed out, tired and perhaps not careful in his answers. Ron Baron might have been wiser to not have scheduled the interview.
Baron is a long term buy and hold investment firm. They probably don’t care about price volatility.

Imagine that you didn’t know anything about the SP this entire year.

How would you think Tesla is doing?

Methinks Tesla is firing on all cylinders, with the best short term and long term business outlook it has ever had, notwithstanding general economic headwinds.

And if I told you just one thing about the SP — that TSLA was currently trading at about 65 earnings — what would you think?

Methinks it’s a huge bargain.

The TSLA shorts were out for our blood today. We'll see if this continues into next week or not :oops:
Wall st has been waiting years to get TSLA at such a cheap valuation…….it’s not going to stop until we get data that changes the valuation of TSLA without a change in share price……so Q4 P/D numbers and q4 earnings.

Q3 numbers, both P/D and earnings gave Wall St all the ammo needed to hold the stock down for another quarter.

I still think its very likely TSLA goes through materially 200/share to collect on those stop losses and margin calls. Simply too enticing with the share price so close. Today was already the 3rd attempt since Q3 P/D numbers came out and if CPI number doesn’t come in cool next week, I think the 4th attempt will break it easily

Last edited:
Live at the Met, full house, Baron Funds conference, using also Geffen Hall for overflow. Elon is repeating well known (for us) info.. actually a lot of the audience probably is hearing this for the first time. Good fin from both Baron and Elon.
" I should be careful here, I have enough enemies.." responding to Ron Baron question about NASA's..

Moving on to Twitter..
View attachment 871034
Looks like news got out fast.. walked around after the conference. Few really "get" Tesla and Elon. Even if Elon announced something big, it wouldn't make much of a difference.
Enjoying that freebie ice cream, new toy investment of Ron Baron who made money as a youngster driving an ICE cream truck long hours to pay for his college..
Then catching up on the news I missed ; )

Doesn't the report said negotiation failed so Tesla will not be investing into the company?

Failed? No- says they had concerns on the environment--- specifically:

"Tesla discussed buying 10% to 20% of Glencore last year and continued negotiations in March this year, when the Swiss firm’s chief executive Gary Nagle visited the carmaker’s factory in Fremont, California.

Talks concluded without an agreement due to Tesla’s concerns about Glencore’s coal mining business and its impact on the environment"

But the actual CEO of Tesla says that Tesla "never contemplated investing in Glencore"

Which pretty thoroughly debunks what the report said.

My first car was 16% (1982). My first townhouse was 11% (1984). Makes investment choices easy - early payoff.
We bought our first house in San Fran in 1979 with a mortgage around 16%. I did not qualify as I just graduated from college and in my first job. I asked one of my close professors to cosign (since I did not know that I should not ask anyone to cosign a loan), but he did.
And, yes, we refinanced as soon as the interest rates came down (to around 9% a few years later).
We moved out of SF 8 years later, sold the house at more than double the price we paid!

What makes that worth doing? I have a significant amount in my traditional IRA.
Roth v traditional: Tax brackets now vs then and avoiding the 10% early withdrawal penalty on rolled over funds after 5 years if you pull them out before 59-1/2.
As to timing, with low stock price, less external money is needed to transfer the same # of shares to a Roth.

What makes that worth doing? I have a significant amount in my traditional IRA.
It allows the tax to be paid now at your current rate and the share to grow tax free in the future.
I also did this for the past two years converting about 900 shares total pre split.
If you think the stock price is going up in the future ( 3-5 years for example or longer if you are young enough) it becomes tax free profit/ growth.
I have been retired for almost 3 years and have done this twice to the maximum tax bracket just below the 30% range ( I think 20-24%? Federal).

I am posting this solely because I found it to be very informative about something which happened and is affecting Apple and a remote chance that something like this could happen at Tesla’s factory.

• Informative
Reactions: Thekiwi and MikeC
Did a complete laymen breakdown of the 10.69.3 release notes and posted it in the FSD thread.

TL;DR - This is a big release and is focused on making FSD more 'human-like' with faster, more confident and smooth operation dealing with peds and cars. I watched James and John's breakdown and we are basically on the same page, but they end up getting a bit technical...so I did a more "what to expect when driving this build" breakdown.