Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see just how high of a percentage of the semi powertrain is shared with SEXY.

Anyone want to guess what % Mercedes shares across their semis and cars? Can't be much.
Even less now=>future

Vans produced by car company, not Daimler Truck.

Daimler Truck was established in 2019 as a subsidiary of Daimler AG. In February 2021, Daimler said it planned to spin off Daimler Truck into a separate listed company.[2][3] The spin-off was approved by its shareholders on 1 October 2021.[4] Following this, Daimler Truck Holding AG was incorporated to manage assets owned by Daimler Truck AG, and Daimler AG retained 35% of shares in a new company, with 5% being transferred to its pension trust.[5] A separate website of Daimler Truck company was launched on 1 December,[6] and the company went public on 10 December

Seems to me this Plaid drive and clutch set up may find it way into more models, definitely the higher end models,

It is a great way to add cruising range without sacrificing peak power.
Best part is no part.
Cars have:
Less need for maximized range
More charging availability when they do have long trips
A lower starting mass: additional equipment has a bigger percentage penalty on range
Less room to package inline disconnects plus half shafts vs solid axle
Lower price, though less so on a Plaid

A lower gear ratio, semi's low top speed and need for torque means a large reduction ratio in drive which means a high ratio in coast (wheel driven) which multiplies the drag torque and power from the idle motors and gears.

Higher drive dynamics: semi rear axles are usually the same speed and acceleration starts with the cruise motor. Cars have different axle speeds in a turn and traction control needs both motors available all the time.

Mod: Anything about Hunter Biden's laptop is by definition politics AND twitter. Do not post in this thread. --ggr
100%!!! But should we wonder if someone was behind the horrendous TSLA performance for the past year, and the so called “overhang” bs put out by some? /s

Should we? Just asking, hope to get an answer before my post gets deleted or I get a ban🤣

Mod: Anything about Hunter Biden's laptop is by definition politics AND twitter. Do not post in this thread. --ggr
With all due respect, and I mean that, I detest blanket rules. Blanket rules cover everything, including the diamonds amongst the coal. One could argue this is the most used and visible thread in the investors section. Two things in the past five years that have had the biggest effect on TSLA are twitter and Covid. Both banned topics. Making no sense/cents. Yet someone can post they downloaded the newest fsd update for the umpteenth time, and that’s ok. I would argue there is huge selection bias to what is and is not allowed to the detriment of this thread. Allow it all I say, as long as it pertains to the stock price and investment thesis. Once again, with all due respect.

I remember a video Elon and JB downplaying Porsche’s 800V architecture. Yet, now Tedla is coming with their own high voltage (1000V) architecture.

Just wondering what changed and how sincere JB and Elon were at the time.
The larger battery capacity kinda dictates higher voltage. We are talking an order of magnitude jump in capacity.

The real meat of the decision was when Elon was answering with Drew on a recent earnings on the resource trade offs. At a given capacity, it is a poor trade off. At a high enough capacity, it becomes necessary.

I remember a video Elon and JB downplaying Porsche’s 800V architecture. Yet, now Tedla is coming with their own high voltage (1000V) architecture.

There is very little advantage to 1000v in a car with a ~100kWh battery. The larger the battery, and higher the power demands, the more advantage the extra voltage gives you.

Part of why other OEMs have gone 800+ volts is that it is necessary to be able to get decent charge rates on CCS chargers.

Last edited:

It’s embarrassing for me how little I understand voltage and amps and stuff given how much of an EV enthusiast as I am but as I recall they had previously stated that the costs of switching over the entire supply chain of electrical components from 400v to 800v were too great for the moderate gains that could be achieved for those types of passenger vehicles.

Which is to say, it’s not that 800v was bad, just that the improvements to the existing product line wouldn’t be that great and it would be a huge headache logistically.

But with long haul trucks and pickups with a significantly higher power demand that tow there is potentially enough of an efficiency improvement to build it out like that from the start?

That’s my interpretation but as I said, my electrical engineering is shite.

One thing that has changed is Megapacks.

And the other thing is the size of the Semi battery, Megacharging was always likely to be higher voltage.

Higher voltage makes sense when the charging station and the vehicle battery pack can sustain a high charge rate for a sustained period of time.,

Downplaying the technology used by the competition is fairly standard.

I don't know how many charging stations can charge a Porsche at a high rate for a prolonged period, or how quickly that Porsche needs to taper,

The best comparison stats would be 50 kWh in X minutes, because 50 kWh is a substantial amount and good real world guide,

It’s embarrassing for me how little I understand voltage and amps and stuff given how much of an EV enthusiast as I am but as I recall they had previously stated that the costs of switching over the entire supply chain of electrical components from 400v to 800v were too great for the moderate gains that could be achieved for those types of passenger vehicles.

Which is to say, it’s not that 800v was bad, just that the improvements to the existing product line wouldn’t be that great and it would be a huge headache logistically.

But with long haul trucks and pickups with a significantly higher power demand that tow there is potentially enough of an efficiency improvement to build it out like that from the start?

That’s my interpretation but as I said, my electrical engineering is shite.

Despite any lack of understanding of the contributions from the sorcerers Ampere, Watt and Ohm, consider how the Semi and CT were clean slates without existing production and supply lines.

You can always do things like implementing a higher voltage standard with little impact while in the design/prototype stage.

Last edited:
With all due respect, and I mean that, I detest blanket rules. Blanket rules cover everything, including the diamonds amongst the coal. One could argue this is the most used and visible thread in the investors section. Two things in the past five years that have had the biggest effect on TSLA are twitter and Covid. Both banned topics. Making no sense/cents. Yet someone can post they downloaded the newest fsd update for the umpteenth time, and that’s ok. I would argue there is huge selection bias to what is and is not allowed to the detriment of this thread. Allow it all I say, as long as it pertains to the stock price and investment thesis. Once again, with all due respect.
With all due respect, you cannot be serious. Five years puts us into 2018. Remember the horrifying Model 3 ramp and (according to Elon) looming bankruptcy? The ensuing ramp and Giga Shanghai exceeding all expectations? Model Y? Cybertruck reveal? Battery day? Two AI days? The stock being up by ridiculous amounts and being included in the S&P 500? Your "biggest two things in five years" honestly don't crack my Top 10 Biggest Things in 5 Years, and probably not the top 20 in the 9 years I've been invested in TSLA. With all due respect, choose your timelines more carefully next go round.

Is the cybertruck charge cable now slated for 1000 Amps? Or am I switching units?
If so that seems a bit much for the average person to be operating, that would literally explode out the back of your head if there was a problem.
In general you don't handle it while it is charging. And there are lots of checks to make sure everything is fine. Like you can't disconnect it while it is charging.

High voltage is a lot more useful for a vehicle with a big battery, such as Cybertruck and Semi. Big battery means you need a lot of electrical power to recharge it quickly.

Power = current * voltage. Current is the main limiting factor for charging, because of both the cable and the battery cells. If you want more kW of charging power and can’t push current harder without unacceptable trade offs, then you have to increase voltage.