Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fearful too much brand damage has been done. I'm fearful TSLA is nigh un-investable now for the big institutional investors who want nothing to do with a company which has an unpredictable, distracted, and political CEO running things.

😔
^^^^ This. A few weeks ago, I brought these points up with specific car purchases cancelled by people I know, due to Elon's antics. I had all sorts of opposition here. Seems many have come around to agree on the damage that brand damage imparts. Sadly, brand damage lasts for many years. 50 years later, I still think every Corvair I see is going to flip over.

Earlier today, @mongo brought up salient portions of Mr Musk's 2018 Compensation Package. Extracting from that, here is my discussion regarding what I believe to be critically important, using my five emboldened parts to discuss:

Mr. Musk must also remain as Tesla’s CEO or serve as both Executive Chairman and Chief Product Officer, in each case with all leadership ultimately reporting to him, at the time each milestone is met in order for the corresponding tranche to vest. This ensures Mr. Musk’s active leadership of Tesla over the long-term while also providing the flexibility to bring in another CEO who would report to Mr. Musk at some point in the future. Although there is no current intention for this to happen, it provides flexibility as Tesla continues to grow to potentially allow Mr. Musk to focus more of his attention on the kinds of key product and strategic matters that most impact Tesla’s long-term growth and profitability.

#1. "MUST"
Significance: There is no deviation, no flexibility, no tergiversation, no ambiguity.

#2. "ALL leadership reports to him"
Significance: The flow of information, studying of possibilities, decision-making and more is on Mr Musk's shoulders. Each and every day. This is a full-time responsibility.

#3. "Ensures ACTIVE leadership"
Significance: Enforces my above remark: "Tesla's subordinate officers know their job so Mr Musk has time to devote to other jobs...pastimes...investments" is not permissible with such a mandated clause. He must be actively and fully involved at all times.

#4. "Another CEO"
Significance: Another might be titled "Chief Executive Officer", but he or she is not Chief - it remains Mr Musk.

#5. "Focus attention on matters that most impact Tesla"
Significance: This is the crux of the paragraph. It is the answer to the question: "WHY is Mr Musk now and in the future deserving of this package?"

From the paragraph of the Package that discusses why the 5-year minimum holding period, there is the following:

"....ensures that Mr. Musk will be focused on sustaining Tesla’s success both before, and even after he achieves, vesting..."
Significance: This also is the crux. It answers "WHY must Mr Musk hold the shares?" It is because that is where his focus needs be.

Deviations from especially the points I provide are not permitted; the package was very carefully and clearly crafted. I am extremely familiar with Officers' Compensation packages but am no more experienced in clawback situations than are many others here. It is my opinion that to the extent such violations occur, either the BoD or a court of law could impose such.

747ls0.png

Also - CNBC are about to opine about the obvious, meaningful connection between the fall in TSLA and the BEV competition catching up to Tesla. 🤣

I've been all in on Tesla for the past few years. Even after eliminating margins and deleveraging options, I put everything back into shares or less volatile options.

However, the past couple days I've sold off a third of my TSLA portfolio without putting it back. I'm planning to sell another third in the near future. It doesn't seem like the best time to sell, but I didn't think selling at 800 was great either when I needed to pay taxes.

I invested in TSLA because of Elon, and ironically am selling because of Elon. Being honest with myself, I would not invest with who Elon has become today. He's pursuing interests that are mostly irrelevant to the mission, and at worst detrimental to TSLA. He's becoming more "outspoken" with expressing his personal opinions on his bully pulpit.

Tesla is executing brilliantly. I can see it doubling or tripling. I can also see it going down to a PE of 30. If that happens, I'll buy again. If TSLA goes up, I'll be happy because I have enough left in my portfolio to make it worthwhile.

I may not be able to buy my own mountain or island, but all I really need is enough. I'll be forever grateful for this forum because it's enabled a lifestyle over the past year that's far beyond anything I could have imagined.
You do you. I think it’s a mistake, but you get respect for backing up your stance with action so you can find peace and happiness.

I really want to believe it’ll be okay but I’m really so discouraged. I don’t know what to do anymore.
Hang in there! Remember that Tesla’s work is part of a war for a better future for everyone. Holding will not only benefit you greatly, but is helpful to others, such as Tesla employees who are fighting the good fight.

I was disheartened in the Summer of 2019 when the scaremongering was at a similar fever pitch and the stock price was also overly depressed (though Tesla is in far better shape now, as others have noted here). What did I do?

Although I’m not prone to anger, I made a rage buy of shares that cost me about 1/10 the (then) estimated cost of a tri-motor Cybertruck. Then, instead of mentally adding them to my core shares, I earmarked those shares for the purchase of a Cybertruck.

At one point those shares would have roughly covered the cost of a Cybertruck. Maybe they will again when I’m offered the opportunity to buy one—or maybe it’ll be only half or something. Whatever—I’ll be feeling smug satisfaction when I drive it.

Petty? Maybe. Buying a few more shares for a back-at-you-Wall-Street purchase has given me satisfaction even before I’ve made the purchase and allows me to snicker a little even at times like these.

I would second the sentiment not to let the share price intrude too much on your mood. Easier said than done, I know. Though I, like many, had a rotten 2019 and 2020 for other reasons, the stock price recovery and growth were nice after having gutted my way through the earlier decline.

Last edited:
Well this ain't our first rodeo... but right now it feel like it could be the last... oh the fear!

Eh, I'm not really afraid for Tesla as a company. They don't really need the stock anymore, Tesla prints profits every quarter now and I think their biggest challenge in the next year or two will be figuring out what to do with all their cash.

Tesla is doing excellent. TSLA is not. I don't fear for Tesla, but I fear TSLA will be stuck in the penalty box for a longer time than I'd like it to be.

Note that "fear" might not truly be the correct word, but it gets my point across. "Concerned" might be more appropriate.

I've been all in on Tesla for the past few years. Even after eliminating margins and deleveraging options, I put everything back into shares or less volatile options.

However, the past couple days I've sold off a third of my TSLA portfolio without putting it back. I'm planning to sell another third in the near future. It doesn't seem like the best time to sell, but I didn't think selling at 800 was great either when I needed to pay taxes.

I invested in TSLA because of Elon, and ironically am selling because of Elon. Being honest with myself, I would not invest with who Elon has become today. He's pursuing interests that are mostly irrelevant to the mission, and at worst detrimental to TSLA. He's becoming more "outspoken" with expressing his personal opinions on his bully pulpit.

Tesla is executing brilliantly. I can see it doubling or tripling. I can also see it going down to a PE of 30. If that happens, I'll buy again. If TSLA goes up, I'll be happy because I have enough left in my portfolio to make it worthwhile.

I may not be able to buy my own mountain or island, but all I really need is enough. I'll be forever grateful for this forum because it's enabled a lifestyle over the past year that's far beyond anything I could have imagined.
What I want from Elon is:-
  • Master Plan Part 3
  • Robotaxi and others (IMO 3-4 vehicles)
  • Smaller Cybertruck
  • Large van/minivan.
  • Bus
  • Swappable battery system / mobile fast charging - for farm / earthmoving machinery.
  • Home HVAC
  • Cheaper more flexible modular Powerwalls.
  • Anything else he thinks of in the next 3-4 years.
The correct role for Elon at Tesla is product design, and occasionally troubleshooting when needed.

If he steps back more from day-to-day operations, that may give him more time to focus on design.

While the list of products is still being assembled, Elon is more of an asset than a liability.

IMO the core product designs have a longevity measured in decades. The product evolves over time, but the starting product is the base.

Once the show is over, and the job is done, I think Elon will have a desire to leave the stage.

Last edited:
Here’s another conspiracy story. Let me know what you think of it.

A poster named @mach-edriver has arrived to this forum touting the Mach-E, posting a barrage of FUD and vitriol in the Twitter thread, claims to have no investment position in TSLA until today and then mysteriously decides to also start posting FUD in the main thread. I think @mach-edriver is a troll along with several other trolls who have inexplicably appeared on the TMC investment forum in recent months.
Well I already directed the guy to the Mach-E forum but he continues his nonsense here.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but I’ve increased my tesla holdings (not a nominal number) by 50% in the past 24 hrs. Ready to buy more if we go substantially lower.

Good luck!
Smart guy... I mean he does have 007 in his name. I have it on good authority the Brit's do an IQ test to get that "licensed to kill status" and his must be off the charts!
If he ever talks about chairs or dry powder some may assume they are some form of weapons 🤔