Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q - how could Tesla leverage GPT-4?

Obviously, there's a lot of business use cases:
1. Customer Service (answer often asked questions)
2. Driver training ("how do I do abc?" and the car instructs you)
3. Audio-based Navigation ("take me xyz" via voice and the car drives for you)
4. etc...

I ask because if Tesla doesn't apply it, why wouldn't the rest of the competition?

Further, what about Tesla Bot?

Note: I did a search on Twitter for "Electric Vehicles" and "LLM"...almost zilch.
I think the biggest boost may actually come from the engineering side, GPT-4 is pretty good at software engineering tasks, so much so that some people is predicting software engineer as a career will be extinct in 10 years. Whether that is hyperbole remains to be seen, but there's no question you can get significant productivity boost by using LLM as a helper/tool when you write software.

It would also be interesting to see whether LLM can boost productivity in non-software engineering tasks, like if you let LLM read all of Tesla's material & battery research material, would it be able to come up with suggestions for better material or batteries, especially if you give it access to tools such as Wolfram Alpha? Nobody knows, but probably worth to give it a try at least.

This also shows the importance of having your own LLM, since I'm pretty sure Tesla does not want to upload all of its source code and research material to OpenAI/Microsoft...

I hate when people argue about this, it’s like nails on the chalkboard. Honestly feels like both sides are wrong.

When I had my Tundra, I used to side load/ unload a lot. Very likely more than the rear. It is super common when mountain biking to hop up in the bed and lift bikes out of the bed. Likewise the reverse, lifting them into the bed, then you climb in and tie them down. You would do it this way because otherwise it gets tangled with other bikes if you try to slide it out the back.

I’ve also used it quite a bit with loading and unloading tools, rakes and hoes are particularly prone to tangling and I’ve put a lot of them in/ out of my vehicles over the years. If my chainsaw is in the front of the bed, I’m pulling it over the side, not climbing over other tools that might be in the bed.

I think the squat function will mitigate this, as will the frunk. It just bugs the crap out of me when I hear people brush this off. Because a decent chunk of people do in fact load stuff over the side.

No clue if this will be an issue so I done feel it’s worth arguing about, particularly in light of all the trucks out there with massive sidewalls, I just feel like brushing it off is also wrong. Jury is out is entirely fair.
There is no simple change Tesla can do to the CT to lower the sides, a more conventional design is years away, and probably will never happen.

In some cases truck owners can change how they partition the space on the truck to have more organisation, and make things easier to find.
That is worthwhile for a professional using the truck for work at least 5 days per week, less time finding and removing equipment and tools is important.

The CT can kneel , but the sides are not going anywhere, buy a CT and make it work, or buy a different brand, those are the options for the foreseeable future

I think the biggest boost may actually come from the engineering side, GPT-4 is pretty good at software engineering tasks, so much so that some people is predicting software engineer as a career will be extinct in 10 years. Whether that is hyperbole remains to be seen, but there's no question you can get significant productivity boost by using LLM as a helper/tool when you write software.

It would also be interesting to see whether LLM can boost productivity in non-software engineering tasks, like if you let LLM read all of Tesla's material & battery research material, would it be able to come up with suggestions for better material or batteries, especially if you give it access to tools such as Wolfram Alpha? Nobody knows, but probably worth to give it a try at least.

This also shows the importance of having your own LLM, since I'm pretty sure Tesla does not want to upload all of its source code and research material to OpenAI/Microsoft...
Screenshot_20230327_003051_Google.jpg

There is no simple change Tesla can do to the CT to lower the sides, a more conventional design is years away, and probably will never happen.

In some cases truck owners can change how they partition the space on the truck to have more organisation, and make things easier to find.
That is worthwhile for a professional using the truck for work at least 5 days per week, less time finding and removing equipment and tools is important.

The CT can kneel , but the sides are not going anywhere, buy a CT and make it work, or buy a different brand, those are the options for the foreseeable future
I plan on it! You can bet there will be a video and commentary from me on how big an issue this actually is.

Until it’s out we don’t know whether this is going to be a problem or just overblown FUD. I just hate hearing people say “Nobody does this“, plenty of us do.

I think field after field will see themselves becoming prompt engineers. Like this but in every field:

I had some minor physical issue, went to the doc, he gave me a treatment, it didn't work. So I consulted a health AI and was blown away by its answer. As a fun test I asked it another health question regarding my girlfriends dog that her vets had been unable to diagnose and it also gave a brilliant answer. Imo test it out and use it every time you have a health issue: Glass | The First Digital Notebook Designed for Doctors or just ask GPT-4, it's pretty good also...

Continuing to look good for potential wide release of 11.3.3. A particularly good sign is that my December 2017 Model S just got 11.3.3 (updated from 10.69.25.1). Currently 467 installed and 663 pending on TeslaFi.
Yeah, I'd say it's a done deal now. 11.3.3 is an actual wide release. Now 1187 installed and 724 pending. That's 19.5% of the TeslaFi FSD population already installed with 11.3.3 after only two days. Looking good! Tomorrow we'll probably see a couple of thousand pending installations.

New series on Paramount Plus... great so far!

Could you guys give a bit more details on how this is relevant to TSLA - I watched the trailer, just spotted a Merc, nothing more, what has Tesla to do with it? (Not on Paramount+ - won't subscribe to more than the 3 streaming services that I already have (prime, apple, netflix)

EDIT: googled - seams like main character drives a pre-refresh X - too bad it's not the yoke:

Last edited:
I have no idea anymore than you what percentage of people predominantly, periodically, occasionally, or rarely put in or take things out from the side of their pickups. It’s an awkward maneuver at best and lazy at worst.

What I do know is that Tesla will sell plenty of CyberTrucks and will struggle to meet demand for at least the first 5 years of production - not counting year one of validation and slow ramping.

If you require something special in your pickup truck design that isn’t met by CyberTruck then move along and buy something else rather than pretending you know something you don’t.
Somewhat contradictory to state you have no idea how people use their trucks, but then say if they use the side it’s awkward for them at best , and lazy at worst. Why use blanket statements like this? Seems like the purpose is strictly to insult. Why not put in the qualifier “ for myself”.

I am not the one pretending to know something. I am the one saying there are potential foreseeable pros and cons to the design, and no one really knows anything wrt the cyber truck yet cause no one has used one. Just trying to keep some balance. So much stuff stated as fact, yet no one knows.

Model y is in the 4th year of production. Demand is high, but not high enough to not decrease prices. Where will CT be year 5 of production and what will the GM be? I have no idea.

Reactions: aronth5
Right. But do we have any type of evidence that Semis are being built? Like, we have numbers? Even if it's 1 o 2 Semis per week...
We know they've done 38 by some point in Q1, so being pessimistic that was by the last week of Q1.

And we know they had done about 4-5 of these by the end of Q4, so say 34 were in Q1.

So that is (approx) 34 units per 12 weeks, or 3 units per week out of the LRIP workshop at Sparks, Nevada using very crude maths.

What we don't know is if/when they are doing production stops to insert any significant product design and/or manufacturing workstation changes, bearing in mind this is mostly hand assembly from the information released so far.

This is a big one. I'm banned from using ChatGPT or outside services at my organisation to prevent source code and data going out of the network.
The creation and maintenance of private LLMs will be a business on its own I guess.

11.3.3 - First drive, night time, low traffic - way better! Both vehicles got it tonight at the exact same time, which is a first.

- Much better positioning at intersections, and not trying to look around with wavy steering.
- Crossed multiple lanes from side entry to immediate left turn lane. NICE!
- Performed an awkward ULT with ease (slanted parking lot exit at downward slope, hesitation in the past). NICE!
- Still misses our stop sign - hidden one right after another turn, but obeys if other traffic present. Same as before.
- It aborted a u-turn midway (construction on the other side) and re-routed straight into a parking lot - by itself! AMAZING!
- Disengaged for water drainage dip, re-routing preferences, and the stop sign (only to report it).
- More nagging, seems my arm weight on the wheel isn't quite enough now? Maybe thinks it's a dead weight now.

34.1%

This is Tesla's share of the Norwegian car market (not only the EV market) so far this year. In 2022 Tesla had a market share of 12.2% so this is quite some growth! For March alone the market share is 46.4% so far.

Norwegian buyers are expected to buy 110.000 - 130.000 cars this year - according to the car news site BilNytt.

Source: Tesla med 46 % markedsandel - har allerede satt ny rekord i mars

Edit: Added the even more impressive March percentage.

Last edited:
1st April - Legacy blue checks deleted
1st April - April fools day
2nd April? - P&D
April? - Master Plan part 3 white paper
19th April? - ER

Big couple of days coming up. Legacy check marks disappearing will be a huge news cycle that will envelop P&D day. A huge number of celebrities will make a lot of noise and the media won't mind replaying their views. This lands on the Sunday papers and may be indistinguishable from April Fools jokes to many. Elon won't publish the white paper at the same time right?... Please restrict any comments to:

Elon & Twitter
or if you don't like toxic:
Numerology on Twitter