Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wow, that’s a piece of Tesla history I did not know before. Do we know when Toyota sold?
How many of us recall the Mercedes-Benz role that made the Model S possible;
or the two Tesla powered BEV's:
Toyota RAV4 EV and Mercedes Benz B class EV
toyota-tesla-rav4-ev-concept

As numerous people may point out, the combination of Toyota and Mercedes-Benz probably were fundamental to Tesla's later successes. They're often ignored but should not be.

The sad part is that neither one ever actually understood what they had.

Is this "Day Trading" approach a lost cause, would it not be smarter to just HODL it all or diversify? Yes, perhaps. But TSLA is not going to collapse, ever IMO, and with that risk off the table, playing the swings gives me an edge. I can see what's going on, it's getting stupid predictable, so why not have some fun. Those few shares I bought earlier this week are profitable - this helps with my spirit of the battle. It's uplifting on the worst days ever when you all are ready to throw in the towel.

This is a bad idea. It's not getting "stupid predictable." Humans see patterns that don't exist. Investing is a blood sport. Don't invest "for fun" unless you think lighting piles of money on fire is fun. There is no "battle" ... just buyers and sellers (mostly computer algorithms). Do you think you'll win against the warehouses full of GS traders with supercomputers and PHD mathematicians? It's like the lottery, the only way to win is not to play. Day trading is a terrible hobby. (Only slightly better than hobbies that can kill you.) When your wife finds out you lost some of her TSLA investment she'll want to open up the marriage. Get used to her new boyfriend Ramon sleeping in your bed a few nights a week.

The HODL idea works. In 2026 we'll produce 6MM cars. CT, Model Q, Semi, Bot and Megapack will be flying off the shelves. FSD will be solved. Easy 5 bagger from where we are now. Your wife will secretly compliment herself for being smart enough to marry you. She'll politely decline offers from other suiters ... even Ramon. JMHO.

Did Kimble selling drop TSLA yesterday, and now TSLA is climbing again?

I don't think 100K shares is big enough chunk to move the market, the daily volume was around 133million shares, so his sale was below 0.1% of the volume.

This is a bad idea. It's not getting "stupid predictable." Humans see patterns that don't exist. Investing is a blood sport. Don't invest "for fun" unless you think lighting piles of money on fire is fun. There is no "battle" ... just buyers and sellers (mostly computer algorithms). Do you think you'll win against the warehouses full of GS traders with supercomputers and PHD mathematicians? It's like the lottery, the only way to win is not to play. Day trading is a terrible hobby. (Only slightly better than hobbies that can kill you.) When your wife finds out you lost some of her TSLA investment she'll want to open up the marriage. Get used to her new boyfriend Ramon sleeping in your bed a few nights a week.

The HODL idea works. In 2026 we'll produce 6MM cars. CT, Model Q, Semi, Bot and Megapack will be flying off the shelves. FSD will be solved. Easy 5 bagger from where we are now. Your wife will secretly compliment herself for being smart enough to marry you. She'll politely decline offers from other suiters ... even Ramon. JMHO.
My wife suggested selling at $400. HODLing got me less than half the account value.
Of course, holding was also why we had shares at $400 in the first place...

Anyone seen any media reactions to Masterplan 3? Outside the Tesla enthusiast sphere?
No. Seen some reactions inside the Tesla enthusiast sphere where they couldn't read it because it was too heavy also. I read instantly and loved it, but I am an engineer and I think the engineers who are already sold on Tesla loved it, the engineers outside cannot be bothered and the non-engineers thinks it looks like an awful amount of numbers and not enough product releases. Most people has been commenting on the TBD products, not on hydrogen, not heating the industry, not on estimates of cost of investments for each field, not on the demand of different materials and not on the fact that Tesla are planning on doing this ambitious project and now has switched their mission statement. Because it's too big, too unreasonable and too hard to put into a model. But Elon and his team doesn't care, they will do it anyway. And if you want to understand the TSLA imo you should do your best to understand the paper. Just as Tesla did the impossible and acheived Masterplan 1.0 and are getting there with Masterplan 2.0, so they will be achieving the inconceivable and grow into what's stated in Masterplan 3.0. The new master plan is longer and bigger, because the company is growing a hell of a lot bigger.

Last edited:
Motor Trend interviewed Franz Von Holzhausen last week. Lots on his career and the design thinking at Tesla.

Some notes:
  • Projecting general admiration for Elon and his passion for accomplishing the mission
  • Theme of first principles design and lack of traditionalism through all discussions
  • Model S originally had a faux grill on the front because the prototype required air intake and even though Tesla engineers figured out how to eliminate the need, it was too late into development to make changing the appearance and tooling worthwhile
  • Franz still clearly enjoying his job at Tesla
  • Reaffirming in more detail how Cybertruck is all about functionality and eliminating paint shop is better for the environment
  • No concern about selling a bunch of almost identical cars. Paraphrasing: “Well, they can buy something else that’s less safe and inferior”
The Tesla part starts at 48:55.

Last edited:
No. Seen some reactions inside the Tesla enthusiast sphere where they couldn't read it because it was too heavy also. I read instantly and loved it, but I am an engineer and I think the engineers who are already sold on Tesla loved it, the engineers outside cannot be bothered and the non-engineers thinks it looks like an awful amount of numbers and not enough product releases. Most people has beeen commenting on the TBD products, not on hydrogen, not heating the industry, not on estimates of cost of investments for each field, not on the demand of different materials and not on the fact that Tesla are planning on doing this ambitious project and now has switched their mission statement. Because it's too big, too unreasonable and too hard to put into a model. But Elon and his team doesn't care, they will do it anyway. And if you want to understand the TSLA imo you should do your best to understand the paper. Just as Tesla did the impossible and acheived Masterplan 1.0 and are getting there with Masterplan 2.0, so they will be achieving the inconceivable and grow into what stated in Masterplan 3.0. The new master plan is longer and bigger, because the company is growing a hell of a lot bigger.
Seems like the bulk of what we've seen on Twitter is people who skimmed the paper, found the Cybertruck and compact car references, got excited took away a bunch of mis-interpretations, and spewed them on Twitter.

The Limiting Factor will have a follow up video in a couple weeks with good explainers for the non-engineers who care enough to try and learn what Tesla is up to. (And for engineers who want to verify their understanding I think).

How many of us recall the Mercedes-Benz role that made the Model S possible;
or the two Tesla powered BEV's:
Toyota RAV4 EV and Mercedes Benz B class EV
toyota-tesla-rav4-ev-concept

As numerous people may point out, the combination of Toyota and Mercedes-Benz probably were fundamental to Tesla's later successes. They're often ignored but should not be.

The sad part is that neither one ever actually understood what they had.
Had a 2014 B-class on lease and one reason I further invested in Tesla. When the lease was up I could not believe MB had dropped the car and not continued development. There were other initial compliance cars in the 2010-2014 range then minimal further development from there except for maybe the Bolt in 2016.

One other thing is the range was way beyond 80 miles. The pack was in the range of 33kwH, and in warm weather it was possible to get 4+ miles/kwH. I did 133 miles one time on a single charge.

Because the stock market will be closed tommorow for Good Friday, today is effectively an options expiration day. A survey of today's Tesla options trading, suggests that a closing share price of $185 would be the most profitable target for big option writers (hedge funds & market makers) with the ability to temporarily manipulate the share price.

Some interesting background to Elon's antipathy towards OpenAI. I would have put this in the Elon thread, but it seems that thread has been closed.

Seems like the bulk of what we've seen on Twitter is people who skimmed the paper, found the Cybertruck and compact car references, got excited took away a bunch of mis-interpretations, and spewed them on Twitter.

The Limiting Factor will have a follow up video in a couple weeks with good explainers for the non-engineers who care enough to try and learn what Tesla is up to. (And for engineers who want to verify their understanding I think).
Seriously considering muting all the idiots unable to read and comprehend footnotes. Its really a kind of lackmus test for serious reporting or blind Tesla hyping.

Anyone capable of reading the following article? Should contain some extra information about 4680 development

Can't seem to access it from Belgium.

"Ram 1500 REV" specs appear to have been released. Will be interesting to compare to the CT when all is known.

'The biggest story here is the battery range. The REV will offer two battery options. The standard 168-kWh battery will offer a promised 350 miles of range, while the optional 229-kWh battery is said to offer up to 500 miles. That’s pretty impressive. On a powerful enough charger, Ram also says you’ll be able to add up to 110 miles of range in about 10 minutes. And you can use outlets in both the bed and the frunk to power your job-site equipment, with the bed offering 7.2 kW and the frunk offering 3.6 kW."

Some of the other stats: 0-60 in 4.4 secs. Can ford up to 24 inches of water.

Jalopnik link
Incredibly, the SEMI will only have something on the order of 4X the pack size yet can go the same distance, at something like 8-10X the weight fully loaded.