Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah obviously busted growth story

IMG_6138.jpeg

Turkey is a new market. Reports of 1000-2000 Made in Germany Model Y Teslas in May & June (problems with registering as port IT system broken leaving hundreds at ports - reported around 23rd June).

I don't know where to get reliable Tesla Turkey numbers from. The car association just released numbers but Tesla are not part of the association (according to some on social media) and I guess these are manufacturer/importer sourced numbers. Also, Turkey-owned TOGG has zero cars for June, so maybe numbers get revised. Excuse the handwriting, but translation tools mess up some of the Makes/Models.

Highlights - highest seller for the YEAR to date is 1205 for Renault Zoe. Tesla have been selling since 8th May and could be around this number (possibly higher) in just 2 months.

Opel Corsa is best-selling LISTED EV in Turkey for June at 332. I think if IT problems were resolved Tesla have probably beaten this number. Tesla may have beaten this number WITH these IT problems.

TOGG sales not reported (some reports that same IT issue affected home-grown TOGG for some reason, others sceptical).

Other post here:- Wiki - Tesla Europe Registration Stats
1688463691670.png

June and Year to date EV share is at 2.22/2.23% (probably excluding Tesla). Last year it was 0.78%, so growing fast.

1688464563004.png

Nope, not all.
Yes, all. Every non-US producer of cars uses the metric system.
That is the US, Liberia and Myanmar seem to be the only remaining Imperial measurement countries, even Jamaica gave it up for metric.
No non-US OEM uses metric in design or production. So, yes, ALL.
Notable exceptions (OEM or not):
-nautical and airspeeds and altitudes still are often accepted as knots, although they are now managed in metric in much of the world and most modern (I.e. 'glass cockpit' aircraft can easily be altered for both.
-wheels and tires are typically measured in Imperial. Tire pressures are almost always in 'bar' (i.e. standard atmospheric pressure) but most inflation devices can accept either bar or 'psi' although the latter is often called 'libra' or some other 'Neo-britiism'.

The vast majority of US automotive design and build uses metric, even though there are the odd holdouts in very traditional toll & die and metalworking among places with very old workforces, but even those are largely vanished.

As for non-US OEM's NONE,
Even Morgan, yes, Morgan, actually lists vehicle specifications in metric, although, I must confess they show power and fuel economy in both. To wit: Morgan Six data excerpt:
Maximum power: 335 bhp (250kW) @ 6,500rpm
Maximum torque: 369 lb ft (500Nm)
Acceleration: 0 – 62 (0-100kph) 4.2 seconds
Top Speed: 166mph (267kph)
Fuel economy (combined): 38 mpg* (8.2 l/100km)
CO2 emissions: 180g/km*
Dry weight: 1,114* kg
Length: 3890 mm
Width: 1756 mm
Height: 1220 mm

Of course they had no choice the UK is metric except for speeds, tyres and the odd antediluvian process.

Delivery numbers that nobody anticipated?

Seriously? How about go through my posts a week ago where I said it was entirely possible that deliveries were going to come in much higher than consensus because of the production rates that Berlin and Austin had achieved in the quarter.

There’s no need to read into the inventory tracking because it’s not an official inventory counter from Tesla. It’s a guy making assumptions and interpreting about how Tesla lists inventory and extrapolating from there. The reason there’s negative connotation is because you’re making it seem like the only way it was possible was fleet sales and then you link to an article from nearly a year ago. There’s no correlation. Tesla simply had/has much better demand that certain Twitter profiles made it seem like
when will you put this guy on ignore ? drives me nuts seeing long winded responses to a troll pretending to be an investor

Any Way Happy 4th of July

Tesla Plaid Flag for your enjoyment

1688473099978.png

Yes, all. Every non-US producer of cars uses the metric system.
That is the US, Liberia and Myanmar seem to be the only remaining Imperial measurement countries, even Jamaica gave it up for metric.
No non-US OEM uses metric in design or production. So, yes, ALL.
Notable exceptions (OEM or not):
-nautical and airspeeds and altitudes still are often accepted as knots, although they are now managed in metric in much of the world and most modern (I.e. 'glass cockpit' aircraft can easily be altered for both.
-wheels and tires are typically measured in Imperial. Tire pressures are almost always in 'bar' (i.e. standard atmospheric pressure) but most inflation devices can accept either bar or 'psi' although the latter is often called 'libra' or some other 'Neo-britiism'.

The vast majority of US automotive design and build uses metric, even though there are the odd holdouts in very traditional toll & die and metalworking among places with very old workforces, but even those are largely vanished.

As for non-US OEM's NONE,
Even Morgan, yes, Morgan, actually lists vehicle specifications in metric, although, I must confess they show power and fuel economy in both. To wit: Morgan Six data excerpt:
Maximum power: 335 bhp (250kW) @ 6,500rpm
Maximum torque: 369 lb ft (500Nm)
Acceleration: 0 – 62 (0-100kph) 4.2 seconds
Top Speed: 166mph (267kph)
Fuel economy (combined): 38 mpg* (8.2 l/100km)
CO2 emissions: 180g/km*
Dry weight: 1,114* kg
Length: 3890 mm
Width: 1756 mm
Height: 1220 mm

Of course they had no choice the UK is metric except for speeds, tyres and the odd antediluvian process.
First of all, the topic was not ‘non-American producer of cars’. Go back and reread the original post.

On this topic (the original mentioned) you are not the expert.

Let me help you out. In my post #419,824 I quoted that which I was referencing and the topic was TOOLING and SUPPLIERS. Had nothing to do with non-US OEMs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Unpilot and JoRoMo
So can we finally declare Giga Shanghai as the worlds biggest car manufacturing plant?

But I was assured it was simply a muddy field!

Think of Tesla as a taxi company and almost every decision going forwards will make sense. Everything else is a cowbell (not referring to energy/Optimus).

The problem is that was the same line trotted out when Model 3 launched with no blind spot indicators, BEPV, or rear cross traffic functionality in 2017.... Nobody would need them since Robotaxi any minute now!

Delivery numbers that nobody anticipated?

Seriously? How about go through my posts a week ago where I said it was entirely possible that deliveries were going to come in much higher than consensus because of the production rates that Berlin and Austin had achieved in the quarter.

There’s no need to read into the inventory tracking because it’s not an official inventory counter from Tesla. It’s a guy making assumptions and interpreting about how Tesla lists inventory and extrapolating from there. The reason there’s negative connotation is because you’re making it seem like the only way it was possible was fleet sales and then you link to an article from nearly a year ago. There’s no correlation. Tesla simply had/has much better demand that certain Twitter profiles made it seem like

This is an odd flex, and properly represents the dissonance in this forum. You were correct that deliveries were higher than we all expected.

But production was not. Troy was off by less than 2% on production. This was an inventory drawdown.

Production / deliveries from Berlin / Austin still indicate about 3500 / week production. See Troy's tweet here (~44000 in the quarter for each location):

So again with this information, why do you keep incorrectly touting high production rates out of Berlin & Austin?

I repeat, Austin and Berlin are producing less than 4000 per week even though they had burst rates above 5k.

Why are they still so low?

No, because Highland

We absolutely love our 2022 M3LR. But within a year or so we’ll hit 50,000 miles and be naked warranty-wise. I tend to keep vehicles a long, long time, but rapidly advancing technology may be changing that philosophy.

Depending on what Highland has to offer, we’ll probably look at the price delta to step up to a newer model. Unless our CyberTruck position becomes available, which will change our financial landscape a bit!

So again with this information, why do you keep incorrectly touting high production rates out of Berlin & Austin?

I repeat, Austin and Berlin are producing less than 4000 per week even though they had burst rates above 5k.

FWIW Troys info on distribution has already been proven wrong with more recent data-- He has Shanghai at 233,591- but we now know actual production there was 247,217.

That's higher than his chart you posted.... of course that means Berlin/Austin are doing even worse than his chart suggests (or freemont is I guess?) by at almost 14,000 total cars.

EDIT- And this might be deliveries? It's not 100% clear-- maybe it's china deliveries plus exports (which could be delivered or not end of Q2)- either way suggests the gap is even bigger in favor of Shanghai than the ~14k suggests for production

q22023.png

This is an odd flex, and properly represents the dissonance in this forum. You were correct that deliveries were higher than we all expected.

But production was not. Troy was off by less than 2% on production. This was an inventory drawdown.

Production / deliveries from Berlin / Austin still indicate about 3500 / week production. See Troy's tweet here (~44000 in the quarter for each location):

I too think that Austin & Berlin production rates are not as high as the 5k/wk burst rate suggests.

Nevertheless they may be somewhat higher than @Troy puts in his latest numbers. Without knowing Troy's full input data one cannot be sure of the extent to which he has been able to pinpoint inventory drawdowns or buildups. The latest data out of China is deliveries (wholesale + export) and it may well overstate production if China local inventory was drawn down (perhaps by 10k ??). Add in the confounding factor of what was the Fremont production and this means we still cannot pin everything down with full precision. Or at least my brain can't. This is not in any way meant to disparage Troy's numbers which I think are the best available, but merely to point out that there is some room for ambiguity in the known data.

It would all be so much easier if Tesla just published P&D by facility and model, then we'd all have transparent data. It is not as if we aren't company owners or anything like that.

But I do agree with (what I think is) your underying point, i.e. the thing that is most likely hampering the Berlin and Austin production ramps is the corresponding cell supply. Which in many ways is directly linked to the 4680 ramp rate that we would all like to know more about.

India has north of 300 million cars on the road (~4x # on the road in Japan though obviously "cheaper" ones) and is RHD.

Seems that might be a good place to have a factory building RHD vehicles.

Maybe Elon should sit down and talk with someone from there with some authority :)

Also, good news for folks who complain there's white teslas everywhere!

The big problem with India is chicken and egg. Building a factory on spec is not really great management. Selling cars with an extreme amount of duty is not likely to have high enough sales to justify a factory. I don't doubt that Elon will eventually create the factory, but I'm not looking to see it anytime soon. There needs to be enough profit in the rest of the world to make a failed factory in India a minor number.

It would all be so much easier if Tesla just published P&D by facility and model, then we'd all have transparent data. It is not as if we aren't company owners or anything like that.
Respectfully disagree. I know we talked about this a few times before, but I don't feel we are entitled to receive this (granular) information.

If the data was public, it would help the bears more than the bulls. GJ and the likes of him would have a field day pointing out Berlin or Austin are X cars below expectations, their ramps are slower because (enter demand argument), etcetera etcetera.

The bulls just go: great, Tesla is growing production ~40% this year.

We've had posters argue Tesla should give us monthly production and delivery updates so we can keep track.

Why? It creates more work (neglectable though, this can even be automated) but more importantly it gives Tesla critics more ammunition.

We know perfectly well what data Tesla supplies to its investors and what they keep close to their chest. Long term investors know and are fine with it. Only short term traders or bears benefit from proposals to release more and/or more granular P&D information.

Let's keep our eye on the ball = Tesla to 20 million cars per year by around 2030-2031. The rest of the P&D info is noise.

This was an inventory drawdown.
Shocker, right? I mean, after all the dissonance about how there’s clearly a demand problem because inventory high-

I put forth to our self-proclaimed I’m-here-to-stir-the-pot resident poster; Tesla wasn’t being less transparent about inventory numbers, inventory was just being cleared out quickly.
This is an odd flex. Record production and inventory sold at end of quarter - how truly awful!

Let me start us off using our grey matter:

Given the current economic times of higher interest rates, recession possibilities, uncertainty with what the FED will do, and Elon’s aversion to Tesla being financially vulnerable; a measured production ramp and targeted reduction of inventory would in fact be a very smart business choice.

All the while other OEMs are slowing or shutting down production lines and their dealers sit with over full lots, Tesla keeps increasing production in accordance with their day to day demand and order backlog, and managing their inventory levels with a fine-toothed comb.

Stick to barking up the gross margins are in the toilet tree. At least you’ve got a chance nobody will remember you did it in two weeks from now.