Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t know. Don’t care.

The point I was making is that there is in fact a limit to speed of bending. The big presses Tesla uses for steel and aluminum body panels top out at like 20/22 strokes per minute and Tesla is not running the presses at that speed. Far more likely at 12-15 strokes per minute.

How fast can a bending machine bend the various Cyber panels considering their size, weight, type of bend etc….?

Like I said, hope they have more than one brake press or that there’s an extreme simplicity to the bends they need and that the final composition of the material adds to that simplicity. I suspect, and given Elon’s comments, it isn’t so.

I think the most complicated piece has two bends and they are less than 30 degrees. I'm sure they'll have multiple presses.
250k units a year*10 bent pieces * 2 bends /300 days / 20 hours / 60 minutes = 14 bends per minute. Two units would be around a 10 second cycle time each.

I was wondering if they didn't have something more....radical than a conventional press brake in mind for forming CT panels. A break is an awfully slow way to form panels vs a stamping press. Those pieces look like aluminum to me, but it's hard to tell on a video.

I envisioned something more along the lines of a stamping press operation, instead of forming, multiple, simultaneous actions (slides) performing simultaneous bends in multiple locations. Much more expensive up-front tooling, but far easier to hold tolerances and get out reasonable production numbers.
Are there any pieces with more than two bends?
Elon has mentioned laser scoring the back side of the bends.

I agree. You can build as simple or sophisticated a brake press as you want. You can make it virtually any size. I highly doubt Tesla bought one ‘off the shelf’. They probably chose a base style/type/size and then had the guts built to suit their specific needs. Just like they did with the casting machinery. Maybe they can bend more than one panel at once? Two robots, two parts, same bending angle?

Still, you can only bend up to a certain speed or you’ll rip the metal, but you could conceivably do multiple bends at a time.

Could bend all four doors at once, I suppose. Or, bend the roll (or entire side) on a single process, then cut the doors and fender shapes. Or (best option) precut without separation, bend, then separate. Puts everything on the same reference plane.

Ok, I'll start the hype train again. TSLA at, at least, $500 / share by end of 2024. I'm calling it.

That's more bullish than 4 of the 5 most recent 12 month forecasts but less bullish than the Stephenson Indicator trend line (which would be over 600 by end of 2024).

1693451263156.png

and less bullish than the 20 most bullish old stale predictions. If it breaks $800 before the end of 2024 I'll apologize to SMR for saying he is overly bullish.

1693451556130.png

Last edited:
WSJ reporting fed prosecutors are investigating Tesla for improper use of company funds. Something about a home built in Texas for Elon.
Omg. I thought this was a joke, but sure enough it’s on the stupid front page. I think I’m going to have to cancel my subscription because while I can read this article, I don’t want to since I know it’ll be a complete waste of time. An “investigation” means diddly squat. Wake me up if there’s an indictment.

D€
That's more bullish than 4 of the 5 most recent 12 month forecasts but less bullish than the Stephenson Indicator trend line (which would be over 600 by end of 2024).

View attachment 969666

and less bullish than the 20 most bullish old stale predictions. If it breaks $800 before the end of 2024 I'll apologize to SMR for saying he is overly bullish.

View attachment 969670
Can you give me the webpage for this I lost my favorites

Only me that gets a bit frustrated with stuff being moved out of here all the time? Some I do agree, but a lot I don't

We got the Elon V12 demo, a lot of talk on it, we all agree it's one of the big futures for Tesla, yet it's off topic on a investment thread?

I don't know for others, but a lot of other threads are completely overrun by those who don't think a lot of what Tesla is planning to do it will come to fruition, TSLAQ and what not that I don't even bother to go there
Straight from the horse's mouth:

View attachment 969695

My guess is, if this whole thing has any truth to it, the glass would be for the highbay at Starbase.
Unless they mean giga Texas, they are extending the building after all…..

The world continues to warm up and burn, but sure, let's focus on this instead....sigh...
Market is closed, and this is a little OT, but to me it's an important piece of the puzzle: the world - or, at least, a big part of the media - doesn't really see Tesla as a force fighting climate change.
What is a given assumption for us is a novel and quite counterintuitive thought for billions of people out there.
There are several culprits to this: MSMs, the oil industry financing every hit piece against EVs, feet-dragging OEMs that play both sides, ignorant people that downplay climate change, or don't know EVs, etc. IMHO, Elon himself doesn't help communication-wise: his tweets about climate change are too mild for environmental activists (he basically says that CC effects are overstated short-term) and politically he just tweets about GOP candidates who often just ignore/downplay CC. He rarely mentions Tesla Energy, and he rarely mentions Tesla's mission (this is not "my opinion", just facts for whoever follow him on X, the sole channel where our beloved CEO expresses opinions).
Tesla X channel is much more on point, but with a lot less followers and a looooot less media coverage.

What I hope (but I know I'm optimistic) is that with Tesla Energy ramping Megapacks and Powerwalls and VPPs and Tesla Semis we will see a bit of change in the tone of media coverage.

Last edited:
This is an irrelevant ad hominem argument. I presented the relevant math and assumptions.

For automotive margins, the cost-side projections were pretty accurate but I did not anticipate an unprecedentedly rapid increase in interest rates and credit tightening that resulted in plummeting car prices throughout the entire global market. Sorry. I did my best. In any case, I’m banking on long-term gross profit of $5-10k per car (excluding software), which is pretty conservative in my opinion considering Tesla’s extreme lead on cost control that Gen 3 technology will provide. Most of the money will come in the 30s and beyond when Tesla Automotive is making tens of millions of vehicles per year.

To be clear, I’m specifically talking about potential 50% margins for Megapacks:
  • Produced and sold in the USA and getting the $45/kWh IRA credits, some amount of critical mineral credits, as well as the 30% subsidy for the customers
  • At current prices
  • Including the net present value of service and software profits
This is obviously a best-case scenario that is going to apply to a minority of overall Megapack sales, and I do not expect it will last long. 20-30% gross margin off of $200-300/kWh average global price sounds about right if we’re looking out a few years from now. The main point is was trying to make was that people thought the 50% margin projections were outlandish earlier this year, yet Tesla just cut prices by a whopping 22%. This move strongly suggests that margins were actually very high at the previous prices.

That being said, like with cars, this is heavily influenced by the cost of capital (i.e. interest rates) and a variety of other market factors beyond Tesla’s control and well beyond my own ability to predict. What I am confident in is that Tesla has the best product, the strongest market position, and what will soon be the lowest cost, and this will make the Megapack business very profitable when at TWh scale.

I recall Rob Maurer on a recent tesla daily podcast mentioned that Tesla’s earnings report actually indicate that on the face of it they are achieving nowhere near the stated pricing that they have on the website. He was simply dividing the energy segment revenue by the reported installed energy amount, and it was way less than one would assume if actual megapack pricing on the website was used. And he was being generous by including all the revenue from solar & powerwalls in that calculation as well.

Omg. I thought this was a joke, but sure enough it’s on the stupid front page. I think I’m going to have to cancel my subscription because while I can read this article, I don’t want to since I know it’ll be a complete waste of time. An “investigation” means diddly squat. Wake me up if there’s an indictment.
This glass being used to build a private residence for Elon thing was in the news a while ago.

I haven’t read todays WSJ report, but I recall the first time this story popped up earlier in the year was reporting that the tesla board was actually the one that initiated an internal investigation about the glass issue after (IIRC) Tesla employees raising concerns about it.

presumably that was the basis for these two new investigations Into it.

On the face of it it seems ridiculous to suggest the richest person on earth would bother trying to use company resources for his own personal projects of such a relatively trivial amount.

But I suppose there could have been a communication error, with Musk often using people across his various companies, he may for instance have asked someone at tesla with experience with advanced glass in architecture projects to order him some glass he wanted for something he was doing, and that person wrongly assumed he would be fine to just order it through his normal supply channel at tesla and accounting would sort it out later with Musk.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Straight from the horse's mouth:

View attachment 969695

My guess is, if this whole thing has any truth to it, the glass would be for the highbay at Starbase.
People from the SEC probably mistakenly took Knives Out 2 as a documentary on Musk. The movie features the main villain, a billionaire that got rich from making electric cars and rockets, living in a glass dome.

Reminds of Trump who thought Sicario as a documentary on Mexicans.

THURSDAY, AUG. 31
3:15 amAtlanta Fed President Raphael Bostic speaks in South Africa

Fed's Bostic says U.S. interest rates are high enough | REUTERS (4 hrs ago)

"Atlanta Federal Reserve Bank President Raphael Bostic laid out a case on Thursday against any further U.S. interest rate hikes ..."​

Now, let's see how PCE comes in at 08:30 ET :D

EDIT: Yoiks! and away!

View attachment 969721

Cheers!

And not only that. The US Challenger Job Cuts rose a whopping 217% to 75.151 vs 23.7k last month and 26k estimated.

Less people working is a good thing apparently.