Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean airless tires for Mars? NASA (and others) are working on it. This article is from Teslarati blog:

Tesla Tire Costs 10× Battery Cost, & My Plan To Deflate Tire Costs 90%

I hope there will be some spinoff benefits for future Robotaxi's by improving cost, durability and longevity. This video from 4 yrs ago introduces the topic:

How Tesla & Elon Musk Will Revolutionize another industry! (tires) | Simulation Studios (Feb 07, 2020)

Cheers!
If Mars has 1/3 earths gravity, unless we’re gonna triple the payload, the whole suspension system and tires could be made much lighter and should last way longer.

340 miles is the EPA range, many doesn't know that, but Tesla has it's own validation lab (as some other OEMs), the EPA doesn't test every single vehicle, the manufacturer do and send all the data for the EPA for approval, right now this is the ranges

Cybertruck Dual Motor:
Street tires - 340 miles
All terrain tires - 318 miles

Cybertruck Beast:
Street tires - 320 miles
All terrain tires - 301 miles

I think that 301 miles is the why of many changes, such as the huge diffuser on the rear that eats on the departure angle, they didn't want any configuration to have sub 300 miles to no be bellow the 300+ miles from years ago

Good to know. Thanks.

You mean airless tires for Mars? NASA (and others) are working on it. This article is from Teslarati blog:

Tesla Tire Costs 10× Battery Cost, & My Plan To Deflate Tire Costs 90%

I hope there will be some spinoff benefits for future Robotaxi's by improving cost, durability and longevity. This video from 4 yrs ago introduces the topic:

How Tesla & Elon Musk Will Revolutionize another industry! (tires) | Simulation Studios (Feb 07, 2020)

Cheers!
The Teslarati link was a real eye-opener! I would have never guessed tires could be 10x battery cost.

BTW: GM/Terex made the tires for the Apollo lunar rover. If interested in the rover, the book “Across the Airless Wilds” by Earl Swift is highly recommended by me. Tesla will need to come up with a higher volume, lower cost, longer life, tire solution for a SpaceX Mars colony.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yeah, you've been pranked: (haha, by the '12v' Mafia?)

"Copper will never rust for the same reason as bronze — it contains too little iron. Though it will not rust, copper can form a green film, or patina, on its surface over time. However, this patina will not flake the way rust does. Instead, it creates an even, thick coating on top of the copper itself."​

BTW, same chemistry applies to aluminum oxidation: doesn't rust; builds passivation layer. The Aviation industry has used 24v systems for many years, and for many of the same advantages that Tesla is switching to 48v.

Agree... however, the original claim was that the thinner wire would be more prone to "fail". It didn't necessarily say from corrosion.

They could be talking physical failure due mechanical stress/vibration. But that's also easily solved with appropriate routing, fastening, and strain relief.

So, it's still a non-issue. Typical FUD... probably from some 12v parts supplier lol.

They have this freedom. They exercise it. But we still have the freedom to say, after some time, if it was a mistake or not.
This was, at least from the point of view of several potential EU customers.
Absolutely you have the freedom to play hindsight. It’s a pretty weak game, though, especially when it’s the only one a person plays.

Reactions: STUtoday
What is the status of an innovation Tesla showed a few years ago whereby wire was encapsulated in a large ish plastic chunk that is easier for robots to install?
Good question. It may appear on Gen 3 platform in some form (flex PCB potentially vs overmolded). Unless normal cables with human assembly have proven more optimal.

Agree... however, the original claim was that the thinner wire would be more prone to "fail". It didn't necessarily say from corrosion.

They could be talking physical failure due mechanical stress/vibration. But that's also easily solved with appropriate routing, fastening, and strain relief.

So, it's still a non-issue. Typical FUD... probably from some 12v parts supplier lol.
I brought the original claim/concern to this forum from the comments under a CleanTechnica article.
It did indeed refer to corrosion, and they mentioned the salted roads / the salty water mist thrown up by cars on highways in the northern US during winter.
If none of that corrodes copper, as has been indicated here (particularly if that copper wire is insulated/sealed), the concern is a nonstarter.
I am certainly not concerned at this point. 75% less copper = damn good use of our money and resources.

I appreciate all the informative posts on this, question answered, but now it may be time to rewire retire this topic.

This is @Troy 's interpretation, but the numbers are real:
1702054945996.png

Source: