Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless the new kind of people who like him mostly support his new political opinions and do not care about his company's products. They may well be against them, by the way.
EV’s are rapidly becoming another tribal litmus test. Give it another 6 months and this will be a significant factor in sales.
Things have been primed for this trend for a long time, and now it’s happening. Elon is not the main person making that happen, but he’s becoming an accessory to the crime.

Funny thing is, the real reason we did not get truly updated Model 3 with Giga castings, was the downtime in Model 3 production would be too long...........................................................................................................................ok.

And what is up with Fremont? I am sure the production guru from Shanghai is there overseeing the update process. Maybe after the Gen 3 production method gets up and running, Tesla will take a hard long look at Fremont.
No. Tom Zhu from Shanghai is at GigaTexas.

This probably won’t get a warm reception here but it might be relevant for investors.

I’m driving my second Tesla now and will not buy another, specifically because of Elon Musk. He’s turned my car into a MAGA hat and I want to be as far away from the brand as possible.

The moment that FSD allows the sale of my car to break even, I’m out, though his nonsense in that regard probably means I’ll take a bath on this car.

Even if Elon is gone it’ll be a while before the stink is off the brand. I’m willing to accept a (moderately) inferior car to be away from Tesla and I’m willing to lose money to do so. Anecdotally I have a friend who is a surgeon and a friend who is a prominent TV producer and both have moved on from their Teslas for this reason.

Anyway, flame away.
For a Tesla owner to display first the car of another brand on is profil picture for me is not credible

I'm very skeptical many people will use their car as a robotaxi even if it is capable of doing so. When someone can be drunk, tired, or otherwise incapable of driving, and the car can safely and legally get you to your destination, that is when FSD sales will take off. I think we'll get there, but not for another couple years (some technical, but mostly legal).

I don't think most people will put their cars into the Robotaxi fleet either. I do however expect Tesla to put a LOT of cars into the Robotaxi fleet!

Well you are modeling so the good news there is that when something goes off kilter you can look and see why. I would say that most Uber profits are in just a few cities. Really less than 20. Actually I meant revenues but lets assume a relationship. Waymo will be there by the time Tesla is doing robotaxis. I'll go out and say I think Waymo will make a billion in Robotaxi profit before Tesla.

I think lots of people would like a FSD suite on a car to drive them in their car and I think software sales could be very nice indeed. Just not sold on the whole taas thing.
I completely disagree. On the contrary, Uber’s financials are the best indicator that robotaxis would be wildly profitable. At their current scale they are running approximately at break even profitability. Tesla Network should be able to provide a superior customer experience while also reducing costs by about 2 to 4x relative to the combined costs for Uber and the drivers.

Key numbers from Uber’s 10-K for 2023:
$138B gross booking revenue (not including driver tips)
of which $37B went to Uber​
and $101B to the Drivers (again, not including tips)​
9.4B trips
$1B operating profit
$4.4B spent on sales and marketing (mostly promo discounts and incentives)
$3.2B spent on R&D (almost as much as Tesla’s $4.0B!)

I could not find any disclosure from Uber on their total payload miles, so I can only estimate average trip distance and average booking price per mile. However other sources estimate about $2-3/mile average. I think that’s pretty accurate. Right now in my local market (a suburb of Seattle) the app tells me a typical 7-mile trip is either $3/mile or $4/mile depending on whether I’m willing to wait longer for a car. This is normal for here but the Seattle area is probably pricier than the global average and it’s rush hour right now.

Estimates for net earnings for labor for drivers vary widely but $10/hr is on the low end of the range. This is after subtraction of all the expenses the driver pays for their vehicle. With approximately 40 mph average speed, this is around $0.25/mile for wages. Therefore, driver labor alone is probably at least 10% of the cost structure for Uber’s economic model, and more likely is closer to 20%. If Uber could keep that as revenue then, all else being equal, they’d have earned roughly $15-30B of profit last year. And they are still growing revenue fast.

But it doesn’t stop there. Many Uber drivers are bad at estimating their actual expenses, especially depreciation. Tesla vehicles have some of the lowest total cost of ownership on the market, and that gets better as the annual usage increases. Tesla’s robotaxi vehicle design in particular is designed to deliver the lowest cost of climate-controlled motor vehicle transport ever. The usage pattern will be more efficient than it is for private Tesla owners as well. Robotaxis will be driven gently, and the fleet average range per vehicle will likely be less than it is for current Teslas, because most of the vehicles will stay local and can drive themselves to charging spots during off-peak times. Gentle driving and reduced battery weight means the tires will last much longer. Also, frequent usage throughout the day means the energy cost of battery temperature conditioning and cabin air conditioning is less in proportion to total energy consumption. Additionally, safe driving and drastically lower collision rates should greatly improve insurance costs. The high usage rate also means the capital cost for the vehicle is less, because the interest / opportunity cost on the money sunk into the vehicle is amortized over greater amount of usage per unit of time. Overall, I think Tesla can reduce lifetime average per-mile vehicle expenses by about 50-70% compared to the average vehicle in the Uber fleet.

Tesla obviously is spending R&D vastly more effectively than Uber is. Uber burned 9% of their revenue on R&D with almost nothing to show for it.

Vertical integration would give Tesla further cost efficiency. They can use their own vehicles and their own servicing and charging infrastructure at cost. No profit margin going to someone else and almost zero transactions costs.

Tesla also should have superior economies of scale. With the ability to offer a better experience at lower prices, they can have greater fleet density. This means an higher ratio of payload miles to empty miles, less idle time, and more. Also the service and maintenance will be much more efficient at centralized, specialized facilities than it is for individual Uber drivers who are managing service and maintenance for a single vehicle.

If Tesla Network had provided those same 9.4 billion trips with robotaxis, they’d probably have earned at least $30 billion instead of $1B. 9.4B trips is a tiny portion of overall road transportation demand. This is why, if Tesla becomes the leading autonomous TaaS provider, they could scale to earning hundreds of billions of dollars per year.

Last edited:
So between 70-100k segment, Tesla is at 100k/year and have been for awhile. The 40-60k segment Tesla have managed to hit a sustained 1.8M a year. Lets put trucks in a separate category. I think compared to their peers, this is an outperformance with so few car models.

So lets see if the 25k price segment can 10x the deliveries like their peers. I expect some sales taken away from the premium segment depending on what features they strip out of the 25k car segment (or add to the premium segment).

Anyways, all this demand hoopla is just noise because it's not like Tesla is underperforming their peers. Lexus is around 800k/year, BMW is at 2.2M, and Mercedes 2M (i expect these number to drop in the future as the current overperformance came from the backs of low inventory and pent up demand) . The competition has way more car models. So this is a short term problem and their peers have very little ways to monetize their cars after sale besides over charging people for parts.

Tesla just needs to keep the lights on using current revenue generation so much bigger revenue from the future can be realized. It's pretty simple.

Last edited:
I completely disagree. On the contrary, Uber’s financials are the best indicator that robotaxis would be wildly profitable. At their current scale they are running approximately at break even profitability. Tesla Network should be able to reduce costs by about 2 to 4x relative to the combined costs for Uber and the drivers.

If you assume that there's a very limited number of companies with AVs then they can potentially have high margins by having prices lower than Uber.
But the more competition, the more margins my be squeezed.
That's why I think Tesla pursued low cost AV, and why I think in the end you'd have private cars with AV, privately-owned AV taxis, and company-owned AV taxis.

Still I think its clear by now the demand problem is real.
Likely yes, at current pricing and given constraints. T'is but a snapshot during this time of Max Q. Side note, market is also down bigly today.

Moving to fewer Factory shifts was a smart move to throttle back and control costs, maybe even free up tool time for more upgrades. Seems like they know what they're doing. Supply for Stationary has also increased... by 40%, is that right for YoY? 👀

Eyes on the batteries people, I have a hunch that's the money no matter what they put them into. I don't have the numbers as handy as some of you do, but there should be a way to compare 1 kWh of car profit to 1 kWh of Stationary profit by factoring out battery costs? Some kind of apples to apples comparison to isolate the true battery value against profits, at this time.

We may need to see the Q1 financials to bring clarity to my point, we shall see.

That was my first EV, a 1997 GM EV1.

Not sure how my being a passionate EV driver for nearly 30 years reduces my credibility but ok.

And you're going to focus on one man who says things you don't like rather than owning one of the best EVs out there. And supporting the 100s of thousands of workers at Tesla making the magic happen? I think that's quite sad.

You won't get a flame from me. :) I think that you are correct.

Regardless of each of our individual perspectives on Elon Musk's publicly prominent views and behaviours, I think that Tesla is paying a price for them: there is a significant segment of the population for whom the brand has become toxic because of those views and behaviours and who would specifically not consider buying a Tesla for that reason. And I don't think that this is nearly compensated for by persons who would specifically buy a Tesla in support of those publicly prominent views and behaviours. I think that if Musk had an neutral public persona, or simply did not cultivate a public persona in respect of his social/political outlook, Tesla would sell more cars. Naturally, he has every right to have his views and express them publicly and prominently. But the brand does pay a price, and I think it has become a significant one.

And I think that is too bad, because Tesla makes excellent vehicles. I strongly support the EV 'project' and in my view Tesla - and Musk personally - have been absolutely key in making it happen.
You stated this much more effectively than I did. This is exactly how I feel.

Except maybe one billionaire. Oh right, this guy may not be a billionaire.
His DJT holdings alone are worth $5 billion /s

50K cars in transit or inventory is alarming to me.
47k increase, total inventory now 145k cars.

I don't think its just a Tesla demand issue but an auto industry issue, even BYD is down like 40% for Q1.
BYD Q1 is always way down from Q4. They grew sales 14% y/y, Tesla declined 8.5%.

Megapacks are still climbing nicely,
Storage deployments grew 4% y/y.

Last edited:
Ok, I agree. I expect lots of robotaxis when they happen. I don't expect huge profits. I am really not sure on the vehicle ownership, buying an old scion or corolla for $1-2k and paying gas and 50/month in insurance is going to be very hard to beat. Then you have public transportation to compete with in NYC, Chicago, etc. I just think transportation will prove a hard profit nut to crack.
@nativewolf
exactly =>where<= are you going to get this rapidly diminishing resource, gas, 5-10 short years from now???