Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a new HPWC, the PN listed is 1457768-01-G, I assume this is a newest version?
This is what I received and installed yesterday night. Temperature was pretty extreme in my city today, +40c with humidity, and I charged multiple cars basically all day to try it. No issues at all… old one wouldve started overheating after 20-30 minutes in these temps.

My Wall Connector just got the 3 red blinking lights. I pulled the front off and made sure the conductors were torqued properly. After reattaching the front and turning on the breaker, my wall connector would not connect to wifi and I was not able to reprovision it to the proper voltage. When I plugged into my car, the car showed an error message and would not charge. Tesla is sending me a new Wall Connector, but with a 3 week delay. My WC is 10 months old.

I just ordered a new HPWC, the PN listed is 1457768-01-G, I assume this is a newest version?

I ordered a Gen 3 HPWC in the middle of February and also got a 1457768-01-G.

I hope whatever is causing overheating was remedied. So far I've only done one long-duration (couple hours) charge at 48A, and it seemed to work ok.

Reactions: TBrownTX
FYI looks like they're pushing out the power sharing firmware update for Gen3 finally. I noticed my Wall Connector SSID broadcasting this morning, so investigated a bit. Software version is 21.29.1. Only problem is now it won't connect to my home wi-fi, even though I've attempted to connect multiple times. And also won't stop broadcasting its SSID.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.PNG
    IMG_0345.PNG
    229.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0346.PNG
    IMG_0346.PNG
    208.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0347.PNG
    IMG_0347.PNG
    306.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0348.PNG
    IMG_0348.PNG
    311 KB · Views: 76
FYI looks like they're pushing out the power sharing firmware update for Gen3 finally. I noticed my Wall Connector SSID broadcasting this morning, so investigated a bit. Software version is 21.29.1. Only problem is now it won't connect to my home wi-fi, even though I've attempted to connect multiple times. And also won't stop broadcasting its SSID.

Do you have WP3 enabled?

Tim

Do you have WP3 enabled?

Tim
I have WPA2 on my home network, as I have some legacy devices that don't support WPA3. I did a bit of troubleshooting and I was able to get the Wall Connector to connect to a different hotspot that I set to use WPA. Not super concerned that someone is going to sit in my driveway and hack my internet, but would like to get some resolution from Tesla as my WPA2 wifi previously worked fine for connecting. I called them this morning, they're supposed to give a call back early next week.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Only problem is now it won't connect to my home wi-fi, even though I've attempted to connect multiple times. And also won't stop broadcasting its SSID.

I had this exact same problem when my Gen3 Wall Connector updated to the previous 21.18.1 firmware. I just couldn't get it to connect to my Wifi network and I hated the fact that it constantly broadcasts its SSID 24/7. My Wall Connector is located next to a back window of a coffee shop, so I hate the fact that coffee shop clients can see the Wall Connector's SSID every time they try to connect to the shop's Wifi 😡.
I contacted Tesla's Wall Connector Support team via email back in June, asking them to allow the SSID to return to it's hidden setting after 15 minutes if we don't have the Power Sharing feature enabled, but they quickly replied that they thanked me for my feedback and as with all things Tesla, that was that.

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 12.32.18 p.m..png

Anyway, back to the Wall Connector not being able to join your Wifi network. As I mentioned, I had this exact issue back in June with 21.18.1 and it took about 6 o 7 factory resets, one after the other, but it eventually reconnected to my network. I didn't change any other settings on the router or the Wall Connector itself, it just took several brute force factory resets for it to work again. Maybe a fresh new re-install of the firmware can help. You can follow this instructions to install the firmware via the offline route.

My router has a WAP2 password and my network's SSID is hidden, if this helps somehow 😬 .

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV and brianld
I had this exact same problem when my Gen3 Wall Connector updated to the previous 21.18.1 firmware. I just couldn't get it to connect to my Wifi network and I hated the fact that it constantly broadcasts its SSID 24/7. My Wall Connector is located next to a back window of a coffee shop, so I hate the fact that coffee shop clients can see the Wall Connector's SSID every time they try to connect to the shop's Wifi 😡.
I contacted Tesla's Wall Connector Support team via email back in June, asking them to allow the SSID to return to it's hidden setting after 15 minutes if we don't have the Power Sharing feature enabled, but they quickly replied that they thanked me for my feedback and as with all things Tesla, that was that.

View attachment 702124

Anyway, back to the Wall Connector not being able to join your Wifi network. As I mentioned, I had this exact issue back in June with 21.18.1 and it took about 6 o 7 factory resets, one after the other, but it eventually reconnected to my network. I didn't change any other settings on the router or the Wall Connector itself, it just took several brute force factory resets for it to work again. Maybe a fresh new re-install of the firmware can help. You can follow this instructions to install the firmware via the offline route.

My router has a WAP2 password and my network's SSID is hidden, if this helps somehow 😬 .
This is good info, thanks for the tips. I'll give the reset a shot and see what happens. I agree it's annoying that the SSID continues to broadcast. Was hoping that it would shut off after a while, but doesn't seem to be.

Was hoping that it would shut off after a while, but doesn't seem to be.

Unfortunately It won't shut off after a while.
Since the Power Sharing feature got added to the firmware, this is the only way the Gen3 Wall Connectors communicates with each other. Every "slave" Wall Connector must connect to the "master's" SSID and viceversa. Gen2 Wall Connectors have to be physically wired between each other to communicate among them, in order to distribute the available power on a given single circuit.

This is why I contacted Tesla to request that if we don't have the Power Sharing option enabled in the configuration, our Gen3 Wall Connectors should revert back to their hidden SSID after 15 minutes. It's just a simple IF rule in the firmware code 😒.

Unfortunately It won't shut off after a while.
Since the Power Sharing feature got added to the firmware, this is the only way the Gen3 Wall Connectors communicates with each other. Every "slave" Wall Connector must connect to the "master's" SSID and viceversa. Gen2 Wall Connectors have to be physically wired between each other to communicate among them, in order to distribute the available power on a given single circuit.

This is why I contacted Tesla to request that if we don't have the Power Sharing option enabled in the configuration, our Gen3 Wall Connectors should revert back to their hidden SSID after 15 minutes. It's just a simple IF rule in the firmware code 😒.
Ah, great point. I hadn't considered the need for it to broadcast for the other wall connectors. You're absolutely right - this is an easy code change they could make, if power sharing is not enabled, stop broadcasting SSID.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Ah, great point. I hadn't considered the need for it to broadcast for the other wall connectors. You're absolutely right - this is an easy code change they could make, if power sharing is not enabled, stop broadcasting SSID.

I'm skeptical of any claims that power sharing "needs" to have their own SSIDs that are broadcast. I would think that they could just as well require that you put all the wall connectors onto the same home wifi. I assume, though, that this is a design decision made for usability; an attempt to make things "just work" so that they don't have to handhold people through setting up a home WiFi or recommending routers to the one or two people that don't have them.

But, yeah, if I'm not doing power sharing then I certainly don't need to broadcast it. I've been thinking that I should probably disconnect it from the home wifi: somebody hacking into the wall connector is one thing, somebody using it as a gateway into the home network is a whole different set of problems.

Anyway, back to the Wall Connector not being able to join your Wifi network. As I mentioned, I had this exact issue back in June with 21.18.1 and it took about 6 o 7 factory resets, one after the other, but it eventually reconnected to my network. I didn't change any other settings on the router or the Wall Connector itself, it just took several brute force factory resets for it to work again.
This worked for me today. Eventually it did re-connect to my home network (which I have set to WPA2). Now everything is fine except for the previously discussed SSID broadcast. Not the end of the world I guess since everything else works.

I would think that they could just as well require that you put all the wall connectors onto the same home wifi.

What happens if you put all the Wall Connectors onto the same home wifi network and your wifi goes down due to schedule maintenance or a problem with your service provider?

The charging would probably get interrupted on all Wall Connectors due to the lack of communication between them, or in a best case scenario, the "master" Wall Connector is the only one that may keep the charge going. Then, you wake up in the morning to go to work and non or only one of your vehicles is charged.

Also Tesla "recommends" that the Gen3 Wall Connectors get connected to the internet in order to provide future software updates and remote diagnosis, but it is not a requirement for the Wall Connector to actually charge a vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that many of the Gen3's that function as Destination Chargers in shopping malls, hotels and restaurants, or even personal Wall Connectors in apartment buildings, are just installed and commissioned without ever connecting to the internet.

With the current firmware, if let's say the shopping mall wants to enable the Power Sharing feature on their Wall Connectors, they don't have to install wifi routers on their underground parking lot, they just connect the Wall Connectors to each other's SSID's and call it a day.

What happens if you put all the Wall Connectors onto the same home wifi network and your wifi goes down due to schedule maintenance or a problem with your service provider?

The charging would probably get interrupted on all Wall Connectors due to the lack of communication between them, or in a best case scenario, the "master" Wall Connector is the only one that may keep the charge going. Then, you wake up in the morning to go to work and non or only one of your vehicles is charged.

Also Tesla "recommends" that the Gen3 Wall Connectors get connected to the internet in order to provide future software updates and remote diagnosis, but it is not a requirement for the Wall Connector to actually charge a vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that many of the Gen3's that function as Destination Chargers in shopping malls, hotels and restaurants, or even personal Wall Connectors in apartment buildings, are just installed and commissioned without ever connecting to the internet.

With the current firmware, if let's say the shopping mall wants to enable the Power Sharing feature on their Wall Connectors, they don't have to install wifi routers on their underground parking lot, they just connect the Wall Connectors to each other's SSID's and call it a day.

I don't have a good response for the destination charger scenario, I can definitely see a desire to minimize site infrastructure requirements. So I'm double-liking your suggesting of stopping the broadcast if no power-sharing after some time.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
And it didn't seem interested in updating the firmware when I clicked update

The million dollar question is... Do you want your Wall Connector to update to the firmware version that constantly broadcasts it's Wifi SSID, due to the new Power Sharing feature?

If you do, you can follow this instructions to install the firmware via the offline route instead of waiting for the Wall Connector to update itself. Remember that the new firmware updates the Wifi module on the Wall Connector, so it will probably loose it's connection to your router and you'll have to set it up again, which sometimes takes more than a few attempts 😬.

Reactions: Dave EV
The million dollar question is... Do you want your Wall Connector to update to the firmware version that constantly broadcasts it's Wifi SSID, due to the new Power Sharing feature?

If you do, you can follow this instructions to install the firmware via the offline route instead of waiting for the Wall Connector to update itself. Remember that the new firmware updates the Wifi module on the Wall Connector, so it will probably loose it's connection to your router and you'll have to set it up again, which sometimes takes more than a few attempts 😬.

I guess I don't care if the wall connector broadcasts its SSID? I was just wondering what the updates have done, and why the version I'm on doesn't even seem anywhere near the latest version....

I'm on 1.4.4. You're on 21.29.1. Quite the disparity...