Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla website Charging page redesign, future SC site location map gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere earlier today that Tesla might be becoming friendlier with local supercharging due to a lot of people in the Model 3 demographic live in apartments. If that's true then Tesla is going to have to double up superchargers in some cities. Example:
tesla (1).png

When Tesla chose the location for and installed the Birmingham supercharger, they were primarily thinking about travelers. For that purpose it's a good location. However, most (obviously not all) of the people here in town that would be in a position to possibly by a Tesla are either in or very close to the marked area. There are a TON of higher end apartment complexes in that area.

I have a feeling this isn't the only city where the supercharger is in a great location for travelers but not for locals. *If* Tesla is indeed going to eventually target people who will need to local charge at superchargers then they're going to have to address this issue by adding more or relocating some existing chargers.

Reactions: Ulmo
I don't see why Tesla could not build another Supercharger location in the same area. Perhaps the existing location cannot be expanded due to power supply constraints.

The St. George Supercharger has been partially full both times I've been there. The new Supercharger map is looking ahead to the Model 3 era...
They're doing just that in Milford, CT. A new 14 stall site is going in at the CT Post Mall, just a couple of mile from the 2 bay SC's at the 2 Milford I-95 rest areas (4 bays total):

Supercharger - Milford CT

The new map has a grey coming soon pin in addition to the 2 already there.

I read somewhere earlier today that Tesla might be becoming friendlier with local supercharging due to a lot of people in the Model 3 demographic live in apartments. If that's true then Tesla is going to have to double up superchargers in some cities.

That's what I came away with, reading the new blog on Tesla's website today:

Charging Is Our Priority

I know Tesla has made numerous promises and often delayed fulfilling those promises, but it appears that they do believe they will stay at the leading edge of EV. They recognize the importance of expanding the SpC network in order for the Model 3's to be successful. I hope those gray dots do become red by the end of this year. :rolleyes:

Their proposed "Opening Soon" map points are getting so plentiful it's almost to the point where it doesn't matter where they locate them any more, since there's so many. I combed through it with a pretty fine comb, and found very very little that jumped out as worrisome. Here's all I've got:
  • Stockton is known as a dangerous town. It may make more sense to serve US-I-CA-580 commuters who forget to charge somewhere along the Tracy-Livermore area, rather than Stockton. If they do install chargers around there (Tracy-Livermore), it might be a good idea to install huge load shifting battery backup and/or solar panels in this area and their latest super fast technologies.
  • I feel like they left out Burns, Oregon area (or similar concept).
The rest are more of observations:
  • They feel done with CA-99 & US-I-CA-5. They only filled in a little redundancy for San Luis Reservoir route (near Gilroy), Fresno, Bakersfield and Tejon areas. They seem mostly uninterested in the concept of fill-in in the middle of gaps between existing spots with places like Visalia, Atwater, Patterson, and random in the middle spots like Little Panoche Road/County road J1/W Shields Ave (on I-5) (by my guess, that name portends a bad bad town, so perhaps a slightly different location from there in particular). Tesla is leaning on their ability to go 150 miles in their cars, something that most other brands cannot yet do. This allows them to cluster SuperChargers, which makes for a more reliable experience, in the cases that some SuperChargers go down randomly. But it also means that forgetful drivers will have to remember to pay special attention to charging locations (that are clustered) rather than drive until near empty (with spots all along every route much like gas stations), a paradigm shift some of us were predicting but seems to clearly not be one Tesla wants to support.
  • They are hitting more spots on US-101 and CA-1; nothing spectacularly dense nor equidistant, but more robust. There were some routes I could not make in my 60 on cold windy days (that I can make now in warmer summer!), which they went ahead and put in future markers that would fix that (allowing my 60 to make it even in winter).
  • My observations for the rest of the country are that they are filling in, almost as if they're one stage behind for USA than they are for California (and even on some new routes two stages behind as they actually turn on some routes). But you can also see evidence of them copying their most current California stage in the rest of USA: many SuperCharger locations only a very short distance from existing locations.
  • I have no internal view, but I feel like it makes some sense that some of their locations are being picked according to jurisdictional and electrical issues, or more generally, locality of civilization. For instance, I saw some very remote areas that looked like obvious midpoints to consider that probably didn't have enough population support for electricity, maintenance, and additional use. What I mean is that they seem uninterested in setting up outposts of their own, forming new towns, etc., rather than just using existing population infrastructure.
  • Most of the new-town filler spots Tesla picked in California just have the "Coming Soon" pointer simply placed by the town name, suggesting that they are going to locate the SuperCharger locations anywhere in that town, not specifically where the pointer is located. I really hope it doesn't mean they're just installing them near government centers and downtowns; while sometimes those locations might make sense, sometimes they do not, depending on how the towns grew over the eras (and in most cases have the most crime, least attractions, least traveled route and least logical location for modern travelers).
  • No word on new service centers.
But it is confusing because those locations, and some others in California (like Manteca and Gilroy) are in the gray "Coming Soon" color when in fact they already exist.
If you look more carefully, those spots are new redundancy locations near existing locations, or slight situational improvements or new target ideas. For instance, the future Manteca mark is near a town name, and the future Gilroy location is out on 152 closer to 156, which I've been complaining about not existing because I hate bypassing up to Gilroy whenever I take 156 (Watsonville, Monterey or Salinas to I-5 route doesn't go near Gilroy). It usually isn't a problem because I just use Santa Nella (Gustine), but lately when Gustine was down, it did matter. Even then, it was only 20 minutes out of my way, using a Chademo, or driving slower than trucks to get to some distant SuperCharger, so not an emergency, just languid. I still think that we'd be better served to actually put it out onto 152 past the 152-156 merge, such as that Casa De strip, or near the North end of Hollister Airport, to actually be on the 156 route rather than still having to bypass up to San Felipe. Hollister itself would make sense, allowing travel into the rest of the 25 route, but that is very unpopulated, so not much use. 156 makes more sense as a target, and as near as possible to 25 on 156 even more so, but that intersection is unpopulated so doesn't make great sense.. Even where 156 crosses 101 could make a little sense, but that's unpopulated and lacks facilities. Basically, the Casa De strip (a tourist trap stop with high prices and low quality) and Hollister outskirts (unpopulated, many farms, hard to locate) make the most sense. Also, there's that town "San Juan Batista" that I've never stopped in that as I look at it would be a great location, probably better than the Casa De strip, and probably better than Hollister proper: San Juan Batista is a short range from both 101 and Hollister, and on 156. I have no idea if it is a safe town. But, it is civilization, so probably beats the other two locations I mentioned.

A lot of my experiences in the Model S 60D range got me very appreciative of last year's fill-in spots and redundancy push. Without fill-in and redundancy, the 60 would have been stranded with even the slightest of down times in the old network, but as it stands, down-times are just an inconvenience at worst (and a slight jaunt over to a nearby location at best). Some exotic routes like the Sierra Nevadas are still dependent on every SuperCharger working in a path, but that's levels behind the main populated routes; supporting the Sierra Nevadas is still new last year, and I think it's fantastic what they've done up there. I've enjoyed many trips to the mountains in my 60 that probably wouldn't have worked before last year.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MikeBur
I read somewhere earlier today that Tesla might be becoming friendlier with local supercharging due to a lot of people in the Model 3 demographic live in apartments. If that's true then Tesla is going to have to double up superchargers in some cities. Example:
View attachment 224302

When Tesla chose the location for and installed the Birmingham supercharger, they were primarily thinking about travelers. For that purpose it's a good location. However, most (obviously not all) of the people here in town that would be in a position to possibly by a Tesla are either in or very close to the marked area. There are a TON of higher end apartment complexes in that area.

I have a feeling this isn't the only city where the supercharger is in a great location for travelers but not for locals. *If* Tesla is indeed going to eventually target people who will need to local charge at superchargers then they're going to have to address this issue by adding more or relocating some existing chargers.
I'd even be in favor of doing that with a new "Local Charger" network that even charges money to the "Free for Life SuperCharging" group, but that's difficult to do legally, since it's opening up the possibility of removing SuperChargers. Maybe they could be "Local Charging" Tesla branded general charging network that supports SuperCharging, CCS and Chademo, but isn't advertised on the maps of Free For Lifers as SuperChargers (you'd have to find them on Plugshare). I'm grasping at straws here for a way to work around local charging for free for life cars.
That's what I came away with, reading the new blog on Tesla's website today:

Charging Is Our Priority

I know Tesla has made numerous promises and often delayed fulfilling those promises, but it appears that they do believe they will stay at the leading edge of EV. They recognize the importance of expanding the SpC network in order for the Model 3's to be successful. I hope those gray dots do become red by the end of this year. :rolleyes:
Agreed. It seems like this is one of the announcements they'll stick to. They have to do something; the current status quo is not what will bring them into the Model 3 era. I was taking the recent lull of SuperCharger construction as an indication of a paradigm shift being readied for introduction (such as faster charging, battery swap, new chemistry, etc.), but the lack of information about the new paradigm shift led me to believe they hadn't decided, hadn't finished development, or had some other issue. This new blog post basically takes that balloon and pops a hole in it, saying, nope, we're not doing something new, we're instead just going full steam ahead on regular SuperChargers. I'm still somewhat curious if they're going to still introduce some new improvement or technology.

Last edited:
I feel like they left out Burns, Oregon area (or similar concept).
Yes, I was a bit surprised with the large quantity of stations being added all over the country and a lot of redundant ones in this area on I-84 that they still show nothing on three major routes in this same region: highway 20 to Bend, highway 95 to Winnemucca, and highway 93 to Las Vegas.

Obviously these charging stations are costly to build and run.
To which extent can the charging fees cover those costs? Tesla doesn't get much energy for free just yet.
Within a year, most cars will NOT have free unlimited supercharging. And in a few years, a large portion of owners will not have driveway or indoor parking to their disposal to charge at.
The various "competing" charging networks are also doing a good amount of expansion. I'm not sure Tesla NEEDS to do as much as they do. Commercial charging parties will be happy to jump on the Model 3 business.

And in a few years, a large portion of owners will not have driveway or indoor parking to their disposal to charge at.
As far as the U.S. market, I think people have this part backward. There is a large portion of the U.S. population that lives in smaller towns where incomes are lower, but they have a lot of land and houses are cheap. People just don't buy cars that cost over $50K, so they have never had a chance to own a Tesla before, but they have a house and driveway and garage. With the lower priced cars, they will finally have a chance to buy one.

Granzelas in Williams is a perfect spot. I was really disapointed a pin didn't show up there. HWY 20 & I5.. I'd rather charge in a rural area than mess with the chance of not getting a spot in more urban areas (like my trip down i5 to the bay area and back in the same day.

Obviously these charging stations are costly to build and run.
To which extent can the charging fees cover those costs? Tesla doesn't get much energy for free just yet.
Within a year, most cars will NOT have free unlimited supercharging. And in a few years, a large portion of owners will not have driveway or indoor parking to their disposal to charge at.
The various "competing" charging networks are also doing a good amount of expansion. I'm not sure Tesla NEEDS to do as much as they do. Commercial charging parties will be happy to jump on the Model 3 business.
I think Tesla is wise to expand the SC network wide and fast as it is their most strategic competitive advantage. All those other EVs promised to ship in 2019-2020 are going to find it difficult to charge on long trips.

Tesla does not have much of a technology advantage in EVs, anymore than Mercedes ICE vehicles have a technology advantage over BMW or Audi. But the SC network is proprietary and strategic for probably at least five years.

We've heard a lot of promises about the expansion of the various private charging networks, but locating suitable sites, obtaining planning/building permits, contracting with a local power company and finally unleashing the backhoes all happens much slower than press releases and scales much more slowly than a manufacturing line. Buy a Chevy Bolt today in California and you can't drive it to Detroit. Here's the map of CCS chargers as of today, where a single pin represents at most two chargers.

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 4.24.19 PM.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Ulmo
Their proposed "Opening Soon" map points are getting so plentiful it's almost to the point where it doesn't matter where they locate them any more, since there's so many. I combed through it with a pretty fine comb, and found very very little that jumped out as worrisome. Here's all I've got:
  • Stockton is known as a dangerous town. It may make more sense to serve US-I-CA-580 commuters who forget to charge somewhere along the Tracy-Livermore area, rather than Stockton. If they do install chargers around there (Tracy-Livermore), it might be a good idea to install huge load shifting battery backup and/or solar panels in this area and their latest super fast technologies.
  • I feel like they left out Burns, Oregon area (or similar concept).
The rest are more of observations:
  • They feel done with CA-99 & US-I-CA-5. They only filled in a little redundancy for San Luis Reservoir route (near Gilroy), Fresno, Bakersfield and Tejon areas. They seem mostly uninterested in the concept of fill-in in the middle of gaps between existing spots with places like Visalia, Atwater, Patterson, and random in the middle spots like Little Panoche Road/County road J1/W Shields Ave (on I-5) (by my guess, that name portends a bad bad town, so perhaps a slightly different location from there in particular). Tesla is leaning on their ability to go 150 miles in their cars, something that most other brands cannot yet do. This allows them to cluster SuperChargers, which makes for a more reliable experience, in the cases that some SuperChargers go down randomly. But it also means that forgetful drivers will have to remember to pay special attention to charging locations (that are clustered) rather than drive until near empty (with spots all along every route much like gas stations), a paradigm shift some of us were predicting but seems to clearly not be one Tesla wants to support.
  • They are hitting more spots on US-101 and CA-1; nothing spectacularly dense nor equidistant, but more robust. There were some routes I could not make in my 60 on cold windy days (that I can make now in warmer summer!), which they went ahead and put in future markers that would fix that (allowing my 60 to make it even in winter).
  • My observations for the rest of the country are that they are filling in, almost as if they're one stage behind for USA than they are for California (and even on some new routes two stages behind as they actually turn on some routes). But you can also see evidence of them copying their most current California stage in the rest of USA: many SuperCharger locations only a very short distance from existing locations.
  • I have no internal view, but I feel like it makes some sense that some of their locations are being picked according to jurisdictional and electrical issues, or more generally, locality of civilization. For instance, I saw some very remote areas that looked like obvious midpoints to consider that probably didn't have enough population support for electricity, maintenance, and additional use. What I mean is that they seem uninterested in setting up outposts of their own, forming new towns, etc., rather than just using existing population infrastructure.
  • Most of the new-town filler spots Tesla picked in California just have the "Coming Soon" pointer simply placed by the town name, suggesting that they are going to locate the SuperCharger locations anywhere in that town, not specifically where the pointer is located. I really hope it doesn't mean they're just installing them near government centers and downtowns; while sometimes those locations might make sense, sometimes they do not, depending on how the towns grew over the eras (and in most cases have the most crime, least attractions, least traveled route and least logical location for modern travelers).
  • No word on new service centers.

If you look more carefully, those spots are new redundancy locations near existing locations, or slight situational improvements or new target ideas. For instance, the future Manteca mark is near a town name, and the future Gilroy location is out on 152 closer to 156, which I've been complaining about not existing because I hate bypassing up to Gilroy whenever I take 156 (Watsonville, Monterey or Salinas to I-5 route doesn't go near Gilroy). It usually isn't a problem because I just use Santa Nella (Gustine), but lately when Gustine was down, it did matter. Even then, it was only 20 minutes out of my way, using a Chademo, or driving slower than trucks to get to some distant SuperCharger, so not an emergency, just languid. I still think that we'd be better served to actually put it out onto 152 past the 152-156 merge, such as that Casa De strip, or near the North end of Hollister Airport, to actually be on the 156 route rather than still having to bypass up to San Felipe. Hollister itself would make sense, allowing travel into the rest of the 25 route, but that is very unpopulated, so not much use. 156 makes more sense as a target, and as near as possible to 25 on 156 even more so, but that intersection is unpopulated so doesn't make great sense.. Even where 156 crosses 101 could make a little sense, but that's unpopulated and lacks facilities. Basically, the Casa De strip (a tourist trap stop with high prices and low quality) and Hollister outskirts (unpopulated, many farms, hard to locate) make the most sense. Also, there's that town "San Juan Batista" that I've never stopped in that as I look at it would be a great location, probably better than the Casa De strip, and probably better than Hollister proper: San Juan Batista is a short range from both 101 and Hollister, and on 156. I have no idea if it is a safe town. But, it is civilization, so probably beats the other two locations I mentioned.

A lot of my experiences in the Model S 60D range got me very appreciative of last year's fill-in spots and redundancy push. Without fill-in and redundancy, the 60 would have been stranded with even the slightest of down times in the old network, but as it stands, down-times are just an inconvenience at worst (and a slight jaunt over to a nearby location at best). Some exotic routes like the Sierra Nevadas are still dependent on every SuperCharger working in a path, but that's levels behind the main populated routes; supporting the Sierra Nevadas is still new last year, and I think it's fantastic what they've done up there. I've enjoyed many trips to the mountains in my 60 that probably wouldn't have worked before last year.