Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the API from OpenWeatherMap but when I go to the GeoNames site and login I get this page and do not see the " manage your account page". What am I doing wrong?

mike

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-10-17 08.31.56.png
    Screenshot 2016-10-17 08.31.56.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 92
Can you explain the difference between Ground speed and Airspeed. I am a pilot and know what it means in aviation but am not exactly sure what I am seeing here. Otherwise I love the app. It is great on the highway where I am trying to get a feel for the winds.

mike

I'm not sure what I am seeing with round speed/ air speed. I am a pilot and know the relationship there so what does it mean here?

Ground speed is the car's physical speed relative to the ground, calculated from GPS position.

Air speed is the car's physical speed relative to the air, taking into account ground speed vs. the headwind/tailwind vector. This is the effective speed at which the car will use energy.

Example: Traveling north (000 deg) at a ground speed of 60 MPH, with a 10 MPH wind coming from the north (000 deg). The air speed is 70 MPH, and the car will use energy as if it is traveling at 70 MPH.

This is a bit different from IAS (indicated air speed) in a plane, in that while the plane's airspeed is also physical speed relative to the air, IAS also is affected by air density since it changes with altitude and weather conditions. Those factors are N/A in the car.

Ground speed is the car's physical speed relative to the ground, calculated from GPS position.

Air speed is the car's physical speed relative to the air, taking into account ground speed vs. the headwind/tailwind vector. This is the effective speed at which the car will use energy.

Example: Traveling north (000 deg) at a ground speed of 60 MPH, with a 10 MPH wind coming from the north (000 deg). The air speed is 70 MPH, and the car will use energy as if it is traveling at 70 MPH.

This is a bit different from IAS (indicated air speed) in a plane, in that while the plane's airspeed is also physical speed relative to the air, IAS also is affected by air density since it changes with altitude and weather conditions. Those factors are N/A in the car.

AWESOME explanation, especially for non-pilots like me. :cool:

Wind can have a huge difference on range, especially in the flatlands like the deserts here in the southwest. I had to draft a semi to get from Barstow to Primm due to a massive 40 to 60 mph headwind. It was so bad that by the time we got to Primm the visibility was zero from the dust storm it created... and then rained brown drops while I charged at Primm. Wish I would have had TeslaWinds for that trip since it would have indicated I needed to slow down to make it to Primm.

Oh and TeslaWinds is a great app to show people on their first Tesla test ride. Blows their minds.

@SomeJoe7777

I just saw a post in a new thread that talks about adding pushbullet android notifications in "A Better Route Planner." (Please see below.) Since I often drive with your winds app showing in my browser, I am wondering if you could add similar pushbullet integration. Any chance?

Thanks either way!

Here's the post:

Just to to let you know that it is now possible to get Android phone notifications to pop up in the Tesla center screen by using the A Better Routeplanner in-car-browser route planner and navigator. Technically, it connects to the Pushbullet service and relies on its Android app to mirror notifications.

Simply browse to ABRP and login to Pushbullet via the notification icon down right.

And yes, Tesla can easily add this functionality themselves, but until they do (in 8.1?) this works.

View attachment 210230

Joe,

I would very much like to use your app but I'm having difficulty getting set up. I have obtained my API key for OpenWeatherMap but I haven't been able to create an account for Geonames. I have been going around in circles trying to proceed but nothing seems to work. I've tried so many different things I'm am now totally confused.

If I go through the steps again to create a new account I get the following error message:
"Error: Please choose an other username. There already is an other user with the username (my username) or the email address (my email address)"

So, is the problem, my username or my email address?

When I click on "I forgot my password" it askes for "Username or email." If I enter a username it responds with:
"Error: no user found for (username)"
So it seems the problem is not the username.

When I enter my email address it responds with:
"Your account has not yet been activated. We have just sent you another activation email. Please click the link in the email to activate the account. If you don't receive the activation email, check your spam folder for it."

So it appears that they are aware of my email address but over the span of two days I haven't seen any emails from them in either my inbox or my spam folder. What do I do now? I sure hope you can help.

Thanks!