Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X last straw - Open Letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one cancel an order? What happens to any down payment? When do you get your money back?
More than likely you just tell them you're not going to take the car anymore. What happens to the down payment is that Tesla probably keeps it. For you to get it back would mean making a case for why you don't want to make good on your order (there are valid cases to be made, in my opinion). However, I'm doubtful it'd be easy to get your deposit back. For most people, it means walking away from $5k.

I am hoping that all of you waiting delivery on already partially built cars get them quickly. At this point it seems the two issues are the new latches and the 3rd row seat backs. It would be nice for Tesla to admit that to you and to provide you with a fairly solid date on when these issues are going to be resolved and what your delivery date will be.

I am pretty sure that once these two issues are resolved you will get cars that are really great. Sure, we still have some tweaking to do with door sensors, auto opening and other features, some of which are common with the Model S. But hopefully all that will be software based and we will all be in the same boat.

Reactions: ohmman
Ordered couple of hours post launch. Delivery last week in March. VIN 16xx. Was told by advisor over weekend that it's the third row seats that need replacement. Five days later still no update on when delivery can take place. Like others here in same situation, would be nice just to get a weekly update on status from delivery agents. I find these delivery agents lack any kind of knowledge about what's going on. That's unfortunate as they are the face of tesla. Aarrrggghh!. Expect better customer service when buying such an expensive vehicle.

Ordered couple of hours post launch. Delivery last week in March. VIN 16xx. Was told by advisor over weekend that it's the third row seats that need replacement. Five days later still no update on when delivery can take place. Like others here in same situation, would be nice just to get a weekly update on status from delivery agents. I find these delivery agents lack any kind of knowledge about what's going on. That's unfortunate as they are the face of tesla. Aarrrggghh!. Expect better customer service when buying such an expensive vehicle.

They have recalled 2700 Model X's for those third row seats, right? Not sure how long it'll take Futuris to make that many replacements, As Well As continue to make third row seats for whatever weekly production number that Tesla is pumping out now. I believe it was a 750 production rate at the end of the quarter. But I imagine five days isn't long enough. If I had to guess, I'd say your wait is going to be at least four weeks in length - that's assuming Futuris doubles their seat production. Unless I've misunderstood the recall - there is a hinge issue, but did they not say the seats had to be replaced with new ones? Rather than just unbolting of the defective hinge and bolting on a new hinge?

Reactions: bonnie
Unless I've misunderstood the recall - there is a hinge issue, but did they not say the seats had to be replaced with new ones? Rather than just unbolting of the defective hinge and bolting on a new hinge?
Mostly correct; the recall notice said that the seat backs will be replaced. I'm guessing that means the seat bottoms will remain, but that's still a lot of manufacturing. I don't expect ours for at least 6 weeks, which is a bummer because my wife has a need to carry 4 kids regularly. She'll be taking the Model S with jumpseats in lieu of our X until the issue is fixed.

Oddly, she's also been asking me to ride "in the way back" ever since she saw the recall..

Mostly correct; the recall notice said that the seat backs will be replaced. I'm guessing that means the seat bottoms will remain, but that's still a lot of manufacturing. I don't expect ours for at least 6 weeks, which is a bummer because my wife has a need to carry 4 kids regularly. She'll be taking the Model S with jumpseats in lieu of our X until the issue is fixed.

Oddly, she's also been asking me to ride "in the way back" ever since she saw the recall..

The risk of something happening is very minimal. I assume Tesla just mentioned not to sit in the back for liability.

They have recalled 2700 Model X's for those third row seats, right? Not sure how long it'll take Futuris to make that many replacements, As Well As continue to make third row seats for whatever weekly production number that Tesla is pumping out now. I believe it was a 750 production rate at the end of the quarter. But I imagine five days isn't long enough. If I had to guess, I'd say your wait is going to be at least four weeks in length - that's assuming Futuris doubles their seat production. Unless I've misunderstood the recall - there is a hinge issue, but did they not say the seats had to be replaced with new ones? Rather than just unbolting of the defective hinge and bolting on a new hinge?

Not a production guy here but I’m surprised that Tesla wouldn’t ramp up a run of 5-seat versions while simultaneously producing the third row seats for recalled vehicles

The risk of something happening is very minimal. I assume Tesla just mentioned not to sit in the back for liability.
Keep in mind the shoulder belts are built into the seat backs. If the seat back unlatches in a crash, the shoulder belt won't hold the occupant.

The risk is dependent on a crash occurring and the seat back withstanding the pressure of the occupant pulling on the seat back.

The risk is dependent on a crash occurring and the seat back withstanding the pressure of the occupant pulling on the seat back.
While I agree the risk is quite low, I don't see the use in taking the risk with children, especially since we have another valid option.

Keep in mind the shoulder belts are built into the seat backs. If the seat back unlatches in a crash, the shoulder belt won't hold the occupant.

In a high g impact, you probably don't want something with a head rest smacking into you at 45 mph. Lay face down on a pool lounge, and have somebody drop a seatback on you from roof a 6 story hotel (66 feet). Not saying it would break your back, but not sure I'd risk it.

DOH!!! EDIT - There is also a huge issue with rear luggage in an accident if the seat folds,

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it would be possible to change a purchase into a lease (before a firm delivery date has been set)?

Absolutely. You can make any changes to your leasing and financing until the last minute. Just keep your DS and the TESLA finance representative (if financing or leasing with Tesla) informed.
I personally went back and forth in terms of the two options and also the down payment levels for my ultimate decision to stick with the leasing option.

@Scrith regarding this topic, what is your reasoning to switch to a lease? is there an advantage to leasing a car if it has dozens of early model issues? do they treat you any differently if you have issues with a leased vehicle vs purchased?

My thinking is that the early models (mine is VIN 00183X) seem a bit shaky, plus an upgrade to a larger battery seems inevitable, plus when I consider all the improvements that went into the S during its first 3 years or so it really seems like I might want something new in a few years, plus the batteries are going to be cheaper (thanks to the Gigafactory) so the prices of vehicles will be lower (hence the Model 3), so I'm probably going to want a new car in 3 years anyway, so why not just lease it for now (as I'm currently doing now with the LEAF it is going to replace and my wife's Mercedes B-Class)?

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in update, as I mentioned in my post, I was going out of the country and just got back! Had the trip of a lifetime in Argentina. While I was out of the country, my husband was coordinating. But now that I'm back hopefully I'll have more to report.

Here's the update:

Had a convo with a senior regional person. A few things I found interesting: He didn't quite understand the concept of placing an early reservation to get a low vin in order to get the car as soon as possible (i.e. Having a place in line). His argument was that I am getting the car before many people even still, thus that was the point of my reservation 3 years ago. He also indicated people who reserve now are getting their cars 7 months from now - which we all know isn't true, and tesla has sent an email saying delivery times are around a month from confirmation (which I said on the phone). He also just generally didn't seem like he had his ear to the ground in terms of realizing what's been going on in terms of configs and all the deliveries of non performance models (I've been glued to the forums and seems like I know more than internal tesla people). He mentioned the black rims indicated a delay online initially, which wasn't true for us, when we configured in November, there was no delay indicated - but this is irrelevant since we have seen black rims everywhere. (And he agreed). His whole thing was "certain configurations" are delivered within one month, but not all, but couldn't tell me why my car isn't one of those - to me, i don't have anything I haven't seen (all black everything, 7seat, 48amp, all packages, no tow, no ludicrous). Also, he confirmed that we couldn't get the 72amp charger upgrade after delivery. Said he would personally get involved to make sure I get the car soon, and hopefully correct. Generally he was very nice about everything and wanted to help, but also wasn't admitting that tesla had screwed up my car.

Bottom line:
- I still don't have my car
- I still don't know when I am going to get my car
- nothing indicates to me that Elon checked on this or got involved
- still a black box, very difficult to get information and detailed information
- the person I am speaking with has been very kind and seems committed to resolving this issue and making things better. There's been an indication some type of olive branch may be extended to smooth things over. I don't want to go into details as I'm not sure it will happen and to what extent. Also, I don't want to violate their trust if they want to keep it confidential.
- i am being told my car will be ready within days - but I don't have a delivery appt and have a very busy schedule over the next 2 weeks so.. To be continued...

UPDATE - as I was writing this, got a call from my DS saying my car is ready for pick up (his ears must have been ringing) - scheduled an appointment for next week. Will keep you posted if all goes well.