Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's new Strategy?!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, this was my take-away.

Which is pretty smart. Many of those that can afford a Model S right now would probably be OK with spending considerably less to get the latest and greatest version next year. Tesla maintains a customer base that keeps the factory creating more and more cars and then also creates and controls a used car market which will let other people get a Model S sooner than they thought they could.

And providing the best service around will keep people coming back.

Disco, this program will certainly be part of establishing the market value of used Teslas. Remember that cars rate of depreciation is highest the day it is purchased and slows thereafter... i.e. that depreciation rate is for the 2-3 month old cars would be improved over time. (just run the numbers announced today on an $80M car over 3 years and you'll see it well outstrips (value down to about $14M based on 12M miles per year) the depreciation in in the "lease" program, value about $35M).

Does anyone else think this battery warranty announcement has any hint that Tesla's battery pack costs are lower than we already are speculating?

I was fairly certain Tesla had the lowest battery pack costs out there before ($/kWh). Now I think they are even lower than speculation. And Tesla has very good reason (i.e. known variables) to expect them to drop even further.

If they are paying much less than we would think, this type of statement gets easier and easier.

"Trading" your car for the loaner isn't going to be as simple as Elon thinks... Here are the issues:

Registration: you need to notify your insurance company you "traded" your car, my new VIN is xxxxxxxx (and expect to pay more as well)
Sales Tax: you will be required to pay sales tax on the difference on your trade
Excise Tax: now that you have that nice shiny new car, you can expect a nice new excise tax bill as well. Of course you should file for an abatement on what you've paid this year, most towns will "prorate" your rebate based on how many months of the year you have used.

They sound like they will also value your trade the same way they value the loaner cars: %1 per month and $1 mile, so subtract that from your original purchase price to see what you'd get on your trade.

Actually in California you are going to pay sales tax on the full value of the new car. There's no sales tax advantage for trade-ins. You're buying a new car here, I would think all the things you note are expected. It's just an easy way to get a deal on a fairly new service loaner.

I'm very interested to see that Elon/TM has essentially just dictated what the depreciation rate is for Model S.

1% per month of age and $1 per mile

I think they did the same for the Roadster didn't they? i.e. demo cars would get $1 discount per mile driven... But maybe not the age aspect.

I'd like to know, if I take in my Roadster... sorry - I mean if they come to collect it, (which they *always* have anyway, albeit using a flatbed or trailer), will they lend me a Model S? That would be cool. I can synchronise the Roadster service with our annual family road trip (800 miles round trip) and use the S for that by hitting the SuperChargers all the way. Maybe that's pushing it. Gotta love Tesla though. Very impressed with this latest improvement to service.

I think they really got this right, not the least of which, it shows their intent to really do right by customer (while having a viable business).

As mentioned, Elon did not go over existing customers who already purchased plan, I hope (and am optimistic) for you guys they hold true to the due what's right for customer and offer option of canceling contract. Afterall, he did specifically say requiring service contract for warranty to be valid was a mistake.

Now Tesla just needs to define a guaranteed trade in value similar to what they are quoting for the Loaner cars (the three year deal doesn't count. It needs to be similar to the 1% per month and $1 per mile. Let someone trade it in at any point) That way people who enjoy leasing or buying new cars every couple of years could easily take their car in for service, know ahead of time what their car is worth, and quickly trade up for the loaner car. It would make for a very slick way to keep upgrading to a newer Model S.

This from Elon:
Elon loves upgrades. Upgrades are awesome.

and the wry smile that was palpable over audio when he said,
"why not 500?" [while referring to future battery pack range]
were my favorite parts of the announcement.

This announcement had a little of that Steve Job's, "just one more thing" quality before he would announce a sweet set of hardware upgrades. Somehow it's better, though, because it is more spontaneous.

In the conference call today Elon noted that the first time someone buys a type of car, the salesman can be given credit. Afterward, the car owner’s decision to purchase again from the same company or recommend the car to others is largely dependent on the level of service received.

Most dealers depend on service charges to make a profit. Elon says that his service division’s monetary goal is to only break even. This makes it even less likely that someone would want to become an independent Tesla dealer. But it is designed to make consumers lifetime Tesla owners and the providers of enthusiastic recommendations to their friends.

As Elon tweeted yesterday, (the stock) “Market follows eventually.”

This is a cool deal for is Roadster owners too. Now we can use the superchargers!

How about this? So if you have a Roadster or a 60kWh car with no twin chargers and no supercharging, could you bring you car in for service an take the loaner 85P with all the bells an whistles and drive 2000 miles for a few days? The value of your car would not be reduced and then you could buy the loaner at a discount.

Thanks Elon, I am pleasantly surprised with these announcements! Now I would like to request a silver P85 loaner with CF or obeche matte trim and tan or black leather be sent on over, as soon as the 500-mile battery is installed...and please bring the title, because it's not coming back!!!

Last edited:
I think there is one more hidden jewel in this announcement that was not verbalized:

If they are willing to trade your car for the loaner on the spot, it likely also means if you walked in the door with $115K (or whatever the price is for the loaner Model S), they would probably find a way to sell you the car. It's not specifically spelled out, but that's the implied meaning. It means if you are a rich dude, and you don't like waiting, just show up at your nearest Tesla service center ready to spend some money (they prefer wire transfer from my experience)

In the conference call today Elon noted that the first time someone buys a type of car, the salesman can be given credit. Afterward, the car owner’s decision to purchase again from the same company or recommend the car to others is largely dependent on the level of service received.

Most dealers depend on service charges to make a profit. Elon says that his service division’s monetary goal is to only break even. This makes it even less likely that someone would want to become an independent Tesla dealer. But it is designed to make consumers lifetime Tesla owners and the providers of enthusiastic recommendations to their friends.

As Elon tweeted yesterday, (the stock) “Market follows eventually.”

dealer and franchiseproblem solved :-D

This is a cool deal for is Roadster owners too. Now we can use the superchargers!

How about this? So if you have a Roadster or a 60kWh car with no twin chargers and no supercharging, could you bring you car in for service an take the loaner 85P with all the bells an whistles and drive 2000 miles for a few days? The value of your car would not be reduced and then you could buy the loaner at a discount.
lol vfx. I can see it now - "do I want a $2k discount, or a $5k discount? $5k is going to take a lot of effort :biggrin:"

I think there is one more hidden jewel in this announcement that was not verbalized:

If they are willing to trade your car for the loaner on the spot, it likely also means if you walked in the door with $115K (or whatever the price is for the loaner Model S), they would probably find a way to sell you the car. It's not specifically spelled out, but that's the implied meaning. It means if you are a rich dude, and you don't like waiting, just show up at your nearest Tesla service center ready to spend some money (they prefer wire transfer from my experience)

You are 100% on the money on this one. This gives them a way to have a little bit of inventory available to make the sale to the person who wants or needs a car right away, without having millions of dollars in inventory sitting around doing nothing. They are very effectively killing two birds with one stone.