Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meet "Oceana"! took delivery this morning. Overall car is great, only few minor smudges. Tesla person at Plano center were super helpful and nice.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-03-24 at 12.20.03 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-24 at 12.20.03 PM.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 89
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-24 at 12.20.03 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-24 at 12.20.03 PM (2).jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 73
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-24 at 12.20.03 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-24 at 12.20.03 PM (1).jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 76
To be honest-Tesla is getting away with *sugar* that no other car dealer would. I understand the hype and support that they deserve, but seriously I can't see myself looking at Lexus that is being delivered with the same quality issues. Panel gaps, scratches, paint chips-seriously this is unacceptable on every level. We're not talking about 20k KIA type cars here. With all the add ons I'm spending more than 70k on MY LR7 and the last thing I want to see is any of the above. Besides can any of you imagine i.e Audi Q7 being delivered in the same fashion? Of course there is refusal but again-no other car dealer would get away with having buyer wait months for their order just to deliver one with issues. Just my 2c.
Yes, Tesla needs to get a system working so that the customer gets a near perfect to perfect car. However what you are seeing are a couple of things that is typical of a company where Tesla is at. I purchased several Toyotas over that last 20 years. One time I was at the dealer he couldn't find the car he wanted to show us so he took us to the back where the cars came in from the factory. We got to see the cars before they came to the front where customers could see them. They had the plastic on them from the factory, they were dirty, and I noticed some with panel gaps, some with paint problems and so forth. The difference is that Toyota ran the cars through the service center before they went out front. Customers bought the cars that were in inventory out front. So the customer was shielded from the raw cars from the factory. Tesla is selling so many cars that customers are getting them right off the truck. I am picking up my MYLR today and last night it still had not arrived at the Tesla showroom. So we are going to pick up a Tesla right off the truck. I have also noticed because of the reputation that Tesla has acquired over the years with fit and finish that customers are looking over their cars to the nth degree and expecting perfection. Even the Toyota's out front weren't perfect to that degree. As long as Tesla is willing to fix the problems and the problems aren't unreasonable, I think customers need to cut them some slack, that is until they are able to keep up with demand.

To be honest-Tesla is getting away with *sugar* that no other car dealer would. I understand the hype and support that they deserve, but seriously I can't see myself looking at Lexus that is being delivered with the same quality issues. Panel gaps, scratches, paint chips-seriously this is unacceptable on every level. We're not talking about 20k KIA type cars here. With all the add ons I'm spending more than 70k on MY LR7 and the last thing I want to see is any of the above. Besides can any of you imagine i.e Audi Q7 being delivered in the same fashion? Of course there is refusal but again-no other car dealer would get away with having buyer wait months for their order just to deliver one with issues. Just my 2c.

Y ordered today. No VIN. They're looking for inventory match. LR, Black ext\int with induction wheels. Will share VIN when I get it.

Just to follow up on this, my TA said my MY(118xxx VIN) left Freemont factory on 3/23 headed to Ohio.
Yes, build date is really more important than VIN to determine upgrades.

I'm seriously getting impatient. Ordered LR7 Red/White, Hitch, FSD on 2/18/21 and original delivery date was set for March 2nd-31st. 40 days later not even VIN assignment, called SA and of course there is jacks..t that they are able to do. Sold my other car already and this waiting might take who knows how long. They won't even give me a ballpark (!!!!). When I asked so what-can it take another 2 months?-"oh well it shouldn't" Thats not an answer. Then I asked about financing expiring-"they will just run another Credit Check and that won't affect your score much" -well total BS because for the next 2 years it will be 2 hard inquires instead of one and it will affect it. Hard to believe that it's AI controlled assignment and delivery process only. Is there anyone to escalate the issue to or am I just finding out how when something goes wrong with Tesla-good luck!

I'm seriously getting impatient. Ordered LR7 Red/White, Hitch, FSD on 2/18/21 and original delivery date was set for March 2nd-31st. 40 days later not even VIN assignment, called SA and of course there is jacks..t that they are able to do. Sold my other car already and this waiting might take who knows how long. They won't even give me a ballpark (!!!!). When I asked so what-can it take another 2 months?-"oh well it shouldn't" Thats not an answer. Then I asked about financing expiring-"they will just run another Credit Check and that won't affect your score much" -well total BS because for the next 2 years it will be 2 hard inquires instead of one and it will affect it. Hard to believe that it's AI controlled assignment and delivery process only. Is there anyone to escalate the issue to or am I just finding out how when something goes wrong with Tesla-good luck!
The general feeling is that as it gets closer to quarter-end, the deliveries are prioritized closer to the Fremont factory, for obvious reasons. I suspect you'll have a VIN very shortly on or after 4/1. But yeah, it's irritating for sure.

Last edited:
Don’t get too frustrated. I received a VIN last week on 3/24 but the night before I discussed with my wife and we made a last minute color change from white to MSM. Now my config is MY LR7 AWD MSM/white 20” wheels. My SA original said no biggie, will match you with something by end of month. And today is 3/30 I still don’t have anything so I reached out and he said 7 seaters are hard to find right now and will probably be mid April for delivery. My only worries would be after quarter end most cars will be for overseas market which once they switch production line and I won’t get anything for a while. So let’s hope his indication is true. And I live 40 mins. from the factory in the Bay Area. Luckily I have another M3 to drive but I sold my other SUV to free up garage space too. I can also tell you that they are also helping with some customers with subsidies grants expiring and for them once they expire you lose all, so I think top priorities are Q1 ending and fulfill orders with expiring grants.

Reactions: Jemblue7my
Don’t get too frustrated. I received a VIN last week on 3/24 but the night before I discussed with my wife and we made a last minute color change from white to MSM. Now my config is MY LR7 AWD MSM/white 20” wheels. My SA original said no biggie, will match you with something by end of month. And today is 3/30 I still don’t have anything so I reached out and he said 7 seaters are hard to find right now and will probably be mid April for delivery. My only worries would be after quarter end most cars will be for overseas market which once they switch production line and I won’t get anything for a while. So let’s hope his indication is true. And I live 40 mins. from the factory in the Bay Area. Luckily I have another M3 to drive but I sold my other SUV to free up garage space too. I can also tell you that they are also helping with some customers with subsidies grants expiring and for them once they expire you lose all, so I think top priorities are Q1 ending and fulfill orders with expiring grants.
The Y doesn’t get exported out of North America at this time so I don’t think you have to much to worry about. The only wait is the 7 seater production line. Being so close to the factory, I imagine you still have a chance today.

FWIW, I rejected an MYP yesterday and when I asked how long it would take once I re-order, they said most likely June.

This is Tesla's default answer, always the last month of each quarter. It's typically true for all models being exported from California. However, the Model Y is not being exported (except to Canada), its currently Tesla's big money maker, you will likely have a replacement much sooner than June.

Online inventory was tracking around 1000 model Ys for the last week or two. Now showing 175 nationwide (started around 500 this morning I think). I think a lot of orders are being fulfilled since they might be slowing/stopping model Y production now that the end of quarter push is over. People who don't want to wait, SR orders being converted, etc.

Yes, Tesla needs to get a system working so that the customer gets a near perfect to perfect car. However what you are seeing are a couple of things that is typical of a company where Tesla is at. I purchased several Toyotas over that last 20 years. One time I was at the dealer he couldn't find the car he wanted to show us so he took us to the back where the cars came in from the factory. We got to see the cars before they came to the front where customers could see them. They had the plastic on them from the factory, they were dirty, and I noticed some with panel gaps, some with paint problems and so forth. The difference is that Toyota ran the cars through the service center before they went out front. Customers bought the cars that were in inventory out front. So the customer was shielded from the raw cars from the factory. Tesla is selling so many cars that customers are getting them right off the truck. I am picking up my MYLR today and last night it still had not arrived at the Tesla showroom. So we are going to pick up a Tesla right off the truck. I have also noticed because of the reputation that Tesla has acquired over the years with fit and finish that customers are looking over their cars to the nth degree and expecting perfection. Even the Toyota's out front weren't perfect to that degree. As long as Tesla is willing to fix the problems and the problems aren't unreasonable, I think customers need to cut them some slack, that is until they are able to keep up with demand.
I agree and disagree at that same time.

1. I am confident I looked at this car with a bigger microscope than any other car I’ve ever purchased because their reputation and my awareness of it trained me to do so. On my list of demands that Tesla correct, there are at least two “Panel alignment“ issues that I think are not acceptable, but are also displayed on our other car (Mazda), which we happily accepted off the lot and didn’t even consider to be an issue;
2. The least expense Tesla is still a premium dollar value car - they should get it right. They’ve been in the game long enough to correct fit and finish issues AND understand customer expectations.

To me, this is similar to their entire approach re: delivery. I complained to anyone that would listen to me this week when my VIN dropped that clearly they just want to hit sales targets, they give no information, the just don’t care. It’s obvious (and was) because tons of other people who ordered after me had my same exact configuration, but had a delivered car. By the luck of living in California, I wasn’t prioritized because Tesla doesn’t care about being fair to first come first serve on the order front. Top down, they believe the corporate goal is deliver more cars regardless of issues or fairness during the order process - or that is the proof that appears to be in the pudding.

All of that said - they know their product is better than the next guy’s - fit an finish and other issues aside. I doubt it will change until the other automakers have a competitively priced EV which is also comparatively awesome. Good luck with that immediately. I think they are just delivering from a position of relative arrogance, understanding that some panel gaps are minor to most people in comparison to how much better of a driving machine it is than anything else I’ve ever driven. That said - to force a customer to reject a delivery for major issues - not excusable.

Here ends my stream of conscious diatribe. Having only had the car for a few days, I’m not ready to give a full review yet. Initial impressions, I like the car itself a whole lot better than my prior BMW, and that includes some fit and finish issues.

I agree and disagree at that same time.

1. I am confident I looked at this car with a bigger microscope than any other car I’ve ever purchased because their reputation and my awareness of it trained me to do so. On my list of demands that Tesla correct, there are at least two “Panel alignment“ issues that I think are not acceptable, but are also displayed on our other car (Mazda), which we happily accepted off the lot and didn’t even consider to be an issue;
2. The least expense Tesla is still a premium dollar value car - they should get it right. They’ve been in the game long enough to correct fit and finish issues AND understand customer expectations.

To me, this is similar to their entire approach re: delivery. I complained to anyone that would listen to me this week when my VIN dropped that clearly they just want to hit sales targets, they give no information, the just don’t care. It’s obvious (and was) because tons of other people who ordered after me had my same exact configuration, but had a delivered car. By the luck of living in California, I wasn’t prioritized because Tesla doesn’t care about being fair to first come first serve on the order front. Top down, they believe the corporate goal is deliver more cars regardless of issues or fairness during the order process - or that is the proof that appears to be in the pudding.

All of that said - they know their product is better than the next guy’s - fit an finish and other issues aside. I doubt it will change until the other automakers have a competitively priced EV which is also comparatively awesome. Good luck with that immediately. I think they are just delivering from a position of relative arrogance, understanding that some panel gaps are minor to most people in comparison to how much better of a driving machine it is than anything else I’ve ever driven. That said - to force a customer to reject a delivery for major issues - not excusable.

Here ends my stream of conscious diatribe. Having only had the car for a few days, I’m not ready to give a full review yet. Initial impressions, I like the car itself a whole lot better than my prior BMW, and that includes some fit and finish issues.
Actually by living in CA you were prioritized. Maybe not as much as people closer to the factory but you were prioritized before people in Florida and NY where cars take a week to ship to. Yours can be made and delivered to you in 2-3 days so they stack those up for the end of the quarter. Cars going back east need to be made by the first week of the last month of the quarter so they have time to ship and be delivered. Anyone placing an order in the last week outside of CA isn’t going to get their car for a month or two or three. I know you ordered in January but you have to look at this from a quarterly picture not a monthly one.