Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive - car seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled in early June to test drive a Model S in Vancouver. Very excited and looking forward to it.

My wife and 3.5 year old daughter will be with me. Will Tesla allow me to install our car seat temporarily in the back so my daughter can come along on the drive? We also of course need to make sure the seat fits well. We have a bath towel we use under the seat so we can spread that out first to avoid damaging the Tesla's seat.

That's a completely reasonable request, you have to know if the car works for your family. I'd email your sales advisor prior to the appointment and let him know you plan on bringing a seat to test. That way they can have the car ready in a location where you can install it.

Reactions: Vip
I am scheduled in early June to test drive a Model S in Vancouver. Very excited and looking forward to it.

My wife and 3.5 year old daughter will be with me. Will Tesla allow me to install our car seat temporarily in the back so my daughter can come along on the drive? We also of course need to make sure the seat fits well. We have a bath towel we use under the seat so we can spread that out first to avoid damaging the Tesla's seat.

You can put the car seat in. I did it with my test drive when I bought my S. I went (non-Tesla) car shopping with my wife last weekend and there wasn't any place we went that didn't let us put the car seat in. The towel is a nice touch, but it won't be required.

I brought my son with his car seat for a test drive. The staff in the showroom loved having him there and before the test drive they helped with buckling the seatbelt over the carseat. It can be a little challenging without an extension....at least the first few times.
Tesla's are family friendly supercars. I wouldn't even think twice about it. When I'm in for service they encourage my son to get into the floor model and play around. I'm usually more worried than they are that he'll break something.

Of course! For us, my wife and kid stayed at our car. They drove the MS to our car, let us move the seats over and off we went. They didn't ask for a bath towel or anything else. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

Just an update on this. We received excellent service from Jason at Tesla during our test drive. He helped us get our daughter's car seat into a blue Model S 75D. I noticed that with the lower roof line it needed to be angled in a bit.

The test drive was amazing - instant power even going up a hill and after Jason turned down the Regen (it was at the strong setting at first) it handled the stop and go traffic at a few lights very well. Good steering response too.

Now just to save up our pennies so we can order one! :)

I have 2x Clek Fllo and it fits the Model S very well in front facing position. The Clek Fllo's main body fits just under the head rest and has a large contact area with the seat so it is not all pressing on one spot. The Clek Fllo's has an extendable headrest that will go up and push against the headrest but the bulk of the pressure is on the main part of the seat. Most other cars seat's top part will press 100% on the headrest, causing major pressure marks. If you put Clek Fllo on middle and side, you can still fit an adult on the other side.

The test drive was amazing - instant power even going up a hill and after Jason turned down the Regen (it was at the strong setting at first) it handled the stop and go traffic at a few lights very well.

Once you get used to the Regen, which takes about 15 mins, you will never want to drive without it again. When I take out my wife's car I feel almost out of control without it.

Just an update on this. We received excellent service from Jason at Tesla during our test drive. He helped us get our daughter's car seat into a blue Model S 75D. I noticed that with the lower roof line it needed to be angled in a bit.

The test drive was amazing - instant power even going up a hill and after Jason turned down the Regen (it was at the strong setting at first) it handled the stop and go traffic at a few lights very well. Good steering response too.

Now just to save up our pennies so we can order one! :)

Good to hear you had great test drive experience. I agree it's easy to get used to regen even at the higher setting - in traffic you can learn to modulate the go pedal lightly to avoid the sudden slowdown on high-regen, and hardly use the brake pedal at all except to finally come to a full stop.

Btw if you need more time with the car before deciding, you can try to get an overnight test drive to run the car through your usual routine/route, get a feel for charging etc. One friend got an extended half day test drive (on his own w/o Tesla employee accompanying) and drove to Squamish and back to try out handling on Hwy 99 and Supercharging. Obviously they need to feel you're serious about the car but they seem eager to help like that if you have any lingering concerns. At a recent Store social event they gave us all "invitation" cards for overnight drives to pass along to family and friends but really those invites had nothing special on them just a Tesla 800 number. Sounds like the one drive may have already convinced you, but just FYI.

Definitely set up an overnight, I had an overnight a month or so ago with an S and now I have an X overnight scheduled for this weekend to test out my new HPWC before I take delivery in a couple of weeks. Also if you want to save $1k on your S, I have a referral code for you and you'll receive unlimited SC. if you do an overnight you'll end up buying sooner than later!!!

Reactions: P100DHG.

Yes, we've been there done that with our 12 month old. Over night test drive is a great idea. We did both an around the block followed by an over night when we were on the fence.