Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't you end up paying CA sales tax if you do that?

Kinda crappy of Tesla not to communicate the delay at all, to any of us. It clearly said "3-4 weeks", and on that basis I'm sure a few of us have been selling existing cars to make space. I guess 4-6 weeks is the new norm.

Just got a call from Kevin. He doesn't have any update from manufacturing yet. He is very confident he is going to hear something this week. He said that realistically, it will be the end of the month. Depending on what I hear this week (if anything) I might honestly switch delivery to Fremont and get a one-way ticket out there.

I'd be tempted to join you, although I was thinking AZ or CO might be a shorter drive back if we were guaranteed a delivery date and the transaction wasn't overly complicated. Too bad cars aren't fully autonomous yet -- they could deliver themselves ;-)

Kinda crappy of Tesla not to communicate the delay at all, to any of us. It clearly said "3-4 weeks", and on that basis I'm sure a few of us have been selling existing cars to make space. I guess 4-6 weeks is the new norm.

I am definitely in this camp. I sold my S 2 weeks ago thinking we could tough it out as a family. My own fault though but man I am ready for that 3!

Yep. I would pay CA sales tax, but Texas has a reciprocity clause, so nothing would be owed to Texas other than the $75 registration fee. I am with you on the clearing out a car to make room deal.

I'd be tempted to join you, although I was thinking AZ or CO might be a shorter drive back if we were guaranteed a delivery date and the transaction wasn't overly complicated. Too bad cars aren't fully autonomous yet -- they could deliver themselves ;-)
If he calls back this week with bad news, I might ask about those two. I agree; either would be better than CA.

Yep. I would pay CA sales tax, but Texas has a reciprocity clause, so nothing would be owed to Texas other than the $75 registration fee. I am with you on the clearing out a car to make room deal.
Are you sure about that?

I wanted to take my CPO from CA and drive it here, but my friendly Tesla adviser here in Dallas cautioned me that i will be paying state taxes twice - once in CA and once in TX. That was more than two years ago.

Are you sure about that?

I wanted to take my CPO from CA and drive it here, but my friendly Tesla adviser here in Dallas cautioned me that i will be paying state taxes twice - once in CA and once in TX. That was more than two years ago.

It is true. You can reduce the Texas tax by the amount of tax paid in California. Of course, California is a bit more, so you would be paying more overall.

Just got a call from Kevin. He doesn't have any update from manufacturing yet. He is very confident he is going to hear something this week. He said that realistically, it will be the end of the month. Depending on what I hear this week (if anything) I might honestly switch delivery to Fremont and get a one-way ticket out there.
You do know picking up in California will cost you an additional $2000 in sales tax to California, right? While it is incorrect that you will be paying taxes twice as you state above, you WILL have to pay the 10% tax in CA when you pick up instead of the 6.25% in Texas.

I'll just be glad they are assigning Texas VINs. Seems like they shouldn't have issued the invites if they weren't willing to ship here.

On the sales tax thread, I would gladly pay sales tax to another state since Texas doesn't want Teslas sold here -- they deserve to lose the revenue. Colorado doesn't look bad at 7.65% (Registration Fees & Sales Tax Rates | Denver County DMV | DenverGov.org Motor Vehicle), plus it's half the distance.

Reactions: BerTX
I'll just be glad they are assigning Texas VINs. Seems like they shouldn't have issued the invites if they weren't willing to ship here.

Just a thought, but did any of us actually get an email from Tesla inviting you to configure? I didn't (and still haven't), I just read on Twitter to check My Tesla, which I did, and went ahead an configured. I wonder if that has something to do with the delays.