Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are you guys getting that back window tinted? I am working with my installer and trying to determine best approach.

From searching on here it seems the consensus is one large piece on the back window versus trying to partially do it with the antenna/heating lines.

Going to go with 1 big piece. Found a place that will order Huper in a piece big enough for the rear window. Four passenger windows and the rear for $449. Don't think the upgrade to Photosync is worth extra $350.

When pairing your phones, used card 1 for phone 1 and card 2 for phone 2. We did this part on our own and used the same key card to activate both phones and now the driver profiles are messed up. I need to delete both phones and start over.

Turns out you didn't miss anything by not having a dedicated DS. They actually said there was no difference between the cards, so you could sync both phones to the same card.

How are you guys getting that back window tinted? I am working with my installer and trying to determine best approach.

From searching on here it seems the consensus is one large piece on the back window versus trying to partially do it with the antenna/heating lines.

After searching online for people tinting only the back half of the rear glass, I didn't see anything that didn't end up with a big tint differential, even if they could hide the actual line on a defroster line. I tinted the entire rear with 30% and it looks great and didn't look too much darker than the untinted front roof panel (you don't notice unless you are looking for it). Here's a pic:

roof.png

I saw at least one video where they did a pretty good job of applying a film up to the factory transition. Looking around I'm having trouble finding it.

I understand the limits of video resolution made it hard to see exactly what it'll look like in person but it looked like it was one seamless tint top to back, no transition apparent. However that'll strongly dictate the % you can use on the back. Your installer would probably be the best person to make the call as to whether they think they can pull it off.

After searching online for people tinting only the back half of the rear glass, I didn't see anything that didn't end up with a big tint differential, even if they could hide the actual line on a defroster line. I tinted the entire rear with 30% and it looks great and didn't look too much darker than the untinted front roof panel (you don't notice unless you are looking for it). Here's a pic:

View attachment 287678
Edeal,
Apologize for the silly question, but why do you have to tint your car? I thought M3 PUP includes tinted windows.
Thanks

Edeal,
Apologize for the silly question, but why do you have to tint your car? I thought M3 PUP includes tinted windows.
Thanks

The front roof panel is tinted as is the front half or so of the rear window. Because tint regulations vary state-to-state, the side windows and bottom of rear window are untinted (Telsa transitions the roof tint to no tint mid-glass on the back panel). Definitely need side/rear tint in Texas heat and black leather seats ;)

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Just a word of advice, when I was there they delivered 4 cars but only had 3 Tesla employees, so we were left to figure things out for ourselves as we were the odd man out. When pairing your phones, used card 1 for phone 1 and card 2 for phone 2. We did this part on our own and used the same key card to activate both phones and now the driver profiles are messed up. I need to delete both phones and start over. We picked up ours on Saturday and so far the only big complaint after 100 miles is the back up camera. The contrast setting is way off and when the sun is shining, the image is unusable and I almost backed into a curb so be careful. I hear there is a software update for this but I have not received it yet. Everything else is awesome and I love driving it!
I know they are still working on the basic software, so maybe not a lot of time for the bells and whistles yet, but this seems like it should be so easy. I can envision a very simple guided setup. It should ask one or two or 3, etc drivers, then walk you through set up for each. Adjust seat, adjust mirrors, put phone in pairing mode, save driver 1. Boom, done. Driver 2 get in car, same procedure.

I've read through the manual and forums, but they could simplify this for the first time set up for sure.

The front roof panel is tinted as is the front half or so of the rear window. Because tint regulations vary state-to-state, the side windows and bottom of rear window are untinted (Telsa transitions the roof tint to no tint mid-glass on the back panel). Definitely need side/rear tint in Texas heat and black leather seats ;)
I see,
I will definitely do the same if and when I get my car :)

Same here. Wrap + Tint as soon as I pick it up next week. Have a little bit of research to do in order to find a legit place in Houston.
Please do update on that. So far I've talked to Spider Wraps, relatively nearby the North SC in Spring. Not visited yet to get a feel.

I've heard positive things about Wrap Worx, off 1960 near CyFair Hospital, but they apparently don't answer the phone, as I've failed to contact them by phone on multiple attempts? Next time I'm in the area during business hours I'm going to drop by there.

Reactions: Stro
This, frankly, may be the most impressive thing about the car so far.

View attachment 287834

Mostly tollway driving, but lots of stop and go with periods of 70 mph at the beginning and the end. Also the last couple miles wind through uptown. Very impressive.

Agreed and was blown away by how efficient it was even going consistently in the 80s on highway stretches.

For the daily commute i have dropped the daily charge to the 70%ish range and it gets 214 a day which is beyond plenty and charges much faster at home too.

This, frankly, may be the most impressive thing about the car so far.

View attachment 287834

Mostly tollway driving, but lots of stop and go with periods of 70 mph at the beginning and the end. Also the last couple miles wind through uptown. Very impressive.
Agreed. It's crazy efficient but does not feel any less performant to me than the Model X 100D nor Model S 100D that I've driven.

We just got back from picking up our 3. Awesome car! I won't be able to focus on work this afternoon. There were only two trivial issues: one very slight blemish in the paint about the size of a grain of rice that they said they'll address if I want them to, and the hood was very slightly uneven, so I made an appointment to return for them to address that. I'm still deciding on the teenie paint blemish.

By the time I got back to work, the car still had < 50 miles on it, so the autopilot functions haven't activated yet. Very curious to see how AP2 compares to AP1 in our S.

Oh, and we never told our daughters that we configured the 3. As far as they know, our getting the 3 is still a distant reality. They're going to be very surprised today when they get home from school.

Anyone trying to finalize financing for a Dallas delivery, please hurry up! :)

My ISA has backed down a bit from the 3/27 'tentative' delivery appointment while awaiting confirmation on transit details/timing. I'm worried they're still waiting to get a full truck load ready to go - so get off your butts and sign on the dotted line so we can get that truck rolling! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: GDNTX