Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are assuming the best case with no more information than I have. I am assuming the worst case, because it’s my $80k at stake. Also, they wouldn’t let me see the car so I assume it looked bad and I might be scared off. Well, now I am. I don’t know who or what an orientation manager is. I shouldn’t have to learn the arcane org structure of Tesla to get proper customer service. Nobody at Tesla has offered to help me *at all*! This situation is not my fault. I have waited on the phone for over two hours just to talk to someone who could not help directly. He started texting with a senior CSR who started to reply and then went “offline” indefinitely. We gave up. Dealing with people at the SC is useless because they are legally prohibited from helping in any matter that is remotely related to the car purchase. They can only service cars, and delivery is a variation of that.

You are assuming the best case with no more information than I have. I am assuming the worst case, because it’s my $80k at stake.
Actually have been In the frustrating situation of having paid in full and not being able to find someone who has answers. And as one with some technical experience with regard to glass and access to a vehicle (mine) to double check my basic understanding of its construction I believe you have jumped to a conclusion which is not based on facts.

Also, they wouldn’t let me see the car so I assume it looked bad and I might be scared off. Well, now I am. I don’t know who or what an orientation manager is. I shouldn’t have to learn the arcane org structure of Tesla to get proper customer service. Nobody at Tesla has offered to help me *at all*! This situation is not my fault. I have waited on the phone for over two hours just to talk to someone who could not help directly. He started texting with a senior CSR who started to reply and then went “offline” indefinitely. We gave up.
Orientation Manager is the top of the local delivery structure. They're the person who I dealt with directly, via his direct cell phone number, to resolve my delivery issues. My suggestion, deal with local people and advance all conversations up the chain of command. If you need assistance above your local center, reach out

Dealing with people at the SC is useless because they are legally prohibited from helping in any matter that is remotely related to the car purchase. They can only service cars, and delivery is a variation of that.
Actually, not in my experience, the car is technically yours, the sale occurred when you paid, all that remains is Tesla delivering the car to you for them to complete their obligations to you under the purchase agreement and you to sign off indicating that they completed delivery.

It's entirely possible that your car is off-site at a location not accessible. Best of luck & reach out for further assistance if you need it. There is a lot of knowledge here between the various individuals on this thread (we just tend to go silent after delivery).

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and JES2
@hmerrill3 your experience is much different than mine. Our backwater SC is populated by people who only do service and delivery. They don’t know anything beyond that and can’t help. They never offer their contact information to me. Not only did I call dozens of times, the folks st the 800 number also tried and could not get anyone to pick up.

In the spirit of Texas hold up, here’s another story. I ran into my employee while waiting. I didn’t know he had ordered a model 3 (he’s the quiet type). He told me he paid for his car 8/7 and was there (9/21) still trying to pick it up!! I talked to him the next day and learned they said it was damaged and he could wait for repairs or take it now and bring it back. He opted to take it.

Victory Secured on Day 902 :cool: Car is perfect except front undercarriage cover was popped out. We put in a couple of new clips and we are good to go!

Awesome, congrats. Some the things we found later at the Detail shop were a Paint Run along the edge of the Rear Passenger Side door. Really hard to see, it wasn't very big, but the Paint Correction Guy pointed it out to us. We also three tiny spots, dimples from paint drip. Again, reallllly hard to see, but you can feel them when you run your hand over. One was on the Rear Passenger side quarter panel, the other two were on the Driver's side Rear Quarter panel.

We also noticed a three inch scratch in the Rear Driver's Side Door Glass, about four inches from the top, slightly off to the right of Center. It wasn't until the put the Tint Film on, that the scratch showed up. There was also smaller, "impact" scratches, along the edge of the scratch. Another piece of concern was the plastic trim next on the passenger side mirror... on the car directly behind the A Pillar. The tip o the Triangle trim is not adhered to the body like the Driver's side is, so it sticks out about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch (our is a quarter, but a i've seen up to half on other vehicles). there was a small chip on the outer edge of the roof glass above the Passenger head, i'm not overly concerned about that one though.

Last, the plastic surround for the Rear Passenger light, just opposite of where the charging port is on the Driver's side, there is a blade cut in the plastic. Three things in total I've sent an email about, with pictures to both my DA and the SC as part of my three day inspection allowance for Delivery. To replace the back glass that's scratched, the plastic surround for the tail light and potentially, the top glass chip based on Tesla's feedback if they want to change it or not.

Also, check your chrome pieces, to look for scratches and marks. It's really hard to see them, it's better if you gently run you hand over them. We didn't find any issue with ours, but others have found damaged pieces that were hard to see with the naked eye.

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Awesome, congrats. Some the things we found later at the Detail shop were a Paint Run along the edge of the Rear Passenger Side door. Really hard to see, it wasn't very big, but the Paint Correction Guy pointed it out to us. We also three tiny spots, dimples from paint drip. Again, reallllly hard to see, but you can feel them when you run your hand over. One was on the Rear Passenger side quarter panel, the other two were on the Driver's side Rear Quarter panel.

We also noticed a three inch scratch in the Rear Driver's Side Door Glass, about four inches from the top, slightly off to the right of Center. It wasn't until the put the Tint Film on, that the scratch showed up. There was also smaller, "impact" scratches, along the edge of the scratch. Another piece of concern was the plastic trim next on the passenger side mirror... on the car directly behind the A Pillar. The tip o the Triangle trim is not adhered to the body like the Driver's side is, so it sticks out about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch (our is a quarter, but a i've seen up to half on other vehicles). there was a small chip on the outer edge of the roof glass above the Passenger head, i'm not overly concerned about that one though.

Last, the plastic surround for the Rear Passenger light, just opposite of where the charging port is on the Driver's side, there is a blade cut in the plastic. Three things in total I've sent an email about, with pictures to both my DA and the SC as part of my three day inspection allowance for Delivery. To replace the back glass that's scratched, the plastic surround for the tail light and potentially, the top glass chip based on Tesla's feedback if they want to change it or not.

Also, check your chrome pieces, to look for scratches and marks. It's really hard to see them, it's better if you gently run you hand over them. We didn't find any issue with ours, but others have found damaged pieces that were hard to see with the naked eye.
Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully Tesla will get them fixed for you soon!

I washed and claybared the whole car last night, so I was able to go over every inch with a fine toothed comb. Overall paint is in good condition. One chip in the passenger door jam that appears to be touched up. One small chip in the passenger side fender, but that might be from the drive home. There are a couple of tiny black specks embedded in the paint, but hard to see unless you are looking at it from a few inches away. Overall, it's not bad. I thought about doing some paint correction as well, but decided that I'm too busy to do it. Also I didn't notice any trim issues.

Reactions: paco878
Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully Tesla will get them fixed for you soon!

I washed and claybared the whole car last night, so I was able to go over every inch with a fine toothed comb. Overall paint is in good condition. One chip in the passenger door jam that appears to be touched up. One small chip in the passenger side fender, but that might be from the drive home. There are a couple of tiny black specks embedded in the paint, but hard to see unless you are looking at it from a few inches away. Overall, it's not bad. I thought about doing some paint correction as well, but decided that I'm too busy to do it. Also I didn't notice any trim issues.
That's fantastic. Here's to future road trips for no good reason other than to enjoy the car! I'm gonna head off soon to go get an updated on our PPF work. Hopefully I can catch them working on it, so I can get some good pics of the progress.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Can anyone say with certainty when in the process the cars are shipped? I've heard that cars sit in CA until payment is finalized. But I know of a case where someone found their car was already at the Houston SC the same day it was paid for. Sounds like it was loaded up and shipped to TX after loan details were initially provided. Only asking because I paid last week and several people who had delivery scheduled for the same day as me already have their cars!

Can anyone say with certainty when in the process the cars are shipped? I've heard that cars sit in CA until payment is finalized. But I know of a case where someone found their car was already at the Houston SC the same day it was paid for. Sounds like it was loaded up and shipped to TX after loan details were initially provided. Only asking because I paid last week and several people who had delivery scheduled for the same day as me already have their cars!
The only sure way to is if your car shows up on United Road's website:

Delivery Receipts - United Road

But it appears there is certain amount of lag, and sometimes they show up after the delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Tex EV
The only sure way to is if your car shows up on United Road's website:

Delivery Receipts - United Road

But it appears there is certain amount of lag, and sometimes they show up after the delivery.
FYI my vehicle arrived in Houston by Monday last week (it was slated for Sunday arrival but don't know exactly when it arrived). I took delivery on Thursday last week. A just checked again now and my VIN still isn't showing up.

Yeah, mine was showing on United Road when it moved from factory to Oakland hub. No records now. From what I've seen at the Houston SC, there are other trucking companies involved so not all VINs will return records.

Was just able to get confirmation that my car is in Burbank, CA. Guessing the next step is a rail ride to DFW.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
FYI my vehicle arrived in Houston by Monday last week (it was slated for Sunday arrival but don't know exactly when it arrived). I took delivery on Thursday last week. A just checked again now and my VIN still isn't showing up.

Did you get your car delivered at the north Houston location? My delivery date is scheduled for this Saturday and I am wondering if I should call, if yes what number lol, to see if my car is still on track to be delivered on that date. I work about 8-10 mins from the service center so I could just pop by but I don’t really want to inconvenience them.

First thing, I know I am being picky and I am aware others have it worse than i do.

My IDA sent me an email 9/17-car is built and they want to deliver by the end of september-COOL-I get the contract-sign it 9/18 and make my "final pmnt"-UHCU overnights the check 9/19-last email from IDA was 9/21 check cleared and im fully funded-soooooo lets schedule this thing, right......NOPE he says he'll get back to me 9/26-9/27 to give me a better idea of when we can deliver. the car is still in california waiting to be assigned a truck... WTF....they crap out 600 cars a day and mine has to wait for a truck.....wait for what....put the car i paid for on a damn truck already....im losing it.... lost it....deep breaths.....man...im just impatient....all these threads have me freaking out. lol

Did you get your car delivered at the north Houston location? My delivery date is scheduled for this Saturday and I am wondering if I should call, if yes what number lol, to see if my car is still on track to be delivered on that date. I work about 8-10 mins from the service center so I could just pop by but I don’t really want to inconvenience them.
Yes, North Houston pick-up. I too was initially scheduled for the Saturday and on the Monday I got a call with an offer to push me up to Thursday.

You could try the SC direct (number in Google is good) to see if it's there but have you heard from your ISA/IDA about whether or not you vehicle has made it to Houston? That's who gave me the call, he had system visibility on where the vehicle was.

Yes, North Houston pick-up. I too was initially scheduled for the Saturday and on the Monday I got a call with an offer to push me up to Thursday.

You could try the SC direct (number in Google is good) to see if it's there but have you heard from your ISA/IDA about whether or not you vehicle has made it to Houston? That's who gave me the call, he had system visibility on where the vehicle was.

I last emailed my ISA on the 18th and at that time he told me all he could see was that it had left California and was on its way to Houston. It has been about 5/6 days since he told me that. Only thing I could see was on Unitedroad that it was in Richmond on the 10th, but 3/4 days ago when I went back to UnitedRoad to check my vin it is no longer found on the website.

I just sent him an email asking if he could tell me if the car has made it to Houston or where it is at least so I hope he can give me a good answer.

Did you have an actual IDA assigned? The only person I’ve had to work with is my ISA in Las Vegas. I thought that once my interaction with him was done and I paid for my car he would give me an IDA to work with but nothing.

I last emailed my ISA on the 18th and at that time he told me all he could see was that it had left California and was on its way to Houston. It has been about 5/6 days since he told me that. Only thing I could see was on Unitedroad that it was in Richmond on the 10th, but 3/4 days ago when I went back to UnitedRoad to check my vin it is no longer found on the website.

I just sent him an email asking if he could tell me if the car has made it to Houston or where it is at least so I hope he can give me a good answer.

Did you have an actual IDA assigned? The only person I’ve had to work with is my ISA in Las Vegas. I thought that once my interaction with him was done and I paid for my car he would give me an IDA to work with but nothing.
Ended going through it all with just the ISA out of Vegas, Gilor. He's the one that phoned about moving the appointment up. I don't know if he had visibility during the trip, just the estimated arrival date and whether or not it was in Houston.

First thing, I know I am being picky and I am aware others have it worse than i do.

My IDA sent me an email 9/17-car is built and they want to deliver by the end of september-COOL-I get the contract-sign it 9/18 and make my "final pmnt"-UHCU overnights the check 9/19-last email from IDA was 9/21 check cleared and im fully funded-soooooo lets schedule this thing, right......NOPE he says he'll get back to me 9/26-9/27 to give me a better idea of when we can deliver. the car is still in california waiting to be assigned a truck... WTF....they crap out 600 cars a day and mine has to wait for a truck.....wait for what....put the car i paid for on a damn truck already....im losing it.... lost it....deep breaths.....man...im just impatient....all these threads have me freaking out. lol

My IDA reached out to me on Sept 11 and immediately put me on the schedule for 9/25 delivery. It took 9+ days to hear back from trade-in, so I could get the final number. I had funding completed by UHCU on Thursday 9/20. I went to the service center this afternoon and my car is there ready for pickup tomorrow morning, which is the original delivery date established well before funding.

I would push the IDA to give you a delivery date now. Micheal and Megan over at UHCU were able to get quick responses (within in hour of emailing) from my IDA. It would be 2-3 days before I woulld get a response and sometimes never.

See if they can help push the IDA to schedule a delivery date.

Supposed to pick up my car Wednesday in Dallas. I emailed as I haven't received the FedEx package and don't see it on the way on my FedEx site. Sure enough the car is still in transit. I fly for a living and cleared my schedule for Wednesday. The next open date for Tesla is Sunday. I'm on call that day so I left the appointment in place. My next open date is late next week. Worst case they can reschedule for me instead of me for them if I'm out of town.

Supposed to pick up my car Wednesday in Dallas. I emailed as I haven't received the FedEx package and don't see it on the way on my FedEx site. Sure enough the car is still in transit. I fly for a living and cleared my schedule for Wednesday. The next open date for Tesla is Sunday. I'm on call that day so I left the appointment in place. My next open date is late next week. Worst case they can reschedule for me instead of me for them if I'm out of town.

Do you know exactly where it is? Hopefully your Wednesday date holds