Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few gratuitous details about how it feels, drives and handles would be great,BH! 4WD on a rainy Perth day? Unusual but good!

Firstly, I have a lot of respect for the luxury and performance German cars but would never consider buying one, I'm more of a diesel cruiser and long range fuel tank sort of driver, probably not a Tesla buyer demographic, definitely not a tech head like some of the guys on here but I read up on Solar/renewable endlessly, I was hopeful that in 10-15 years EVs would be up to scratch, when the Model S came along I was very impressed but it was not even close to being available here, when the P85D was released the wife and I were hooked, changed the screen on the ipad and ordered the car, up until yesterday I'd never seen a Model S in real life let alone drive one, we both had high expectations for this car, it's exceeded that already, as for the acceleration, after over 300kms of driiving nsane mode has only been used in 3 short bursts, more than enough, Ludicrous mode no longer discussed in this home, and as for the traction in the wet? All I can say is superb engineering.

Anyway, I did it with NRMA and the MAXIMUM agreed value that they will insure the car for is a measly $192,400... They wouldn't budge on that unless there were modifications made to the car. I didn't want to go down the Ludicrous Mode option - they probably would have denied insurance all together right?

So I chose the comprehensive cover but with a 14 day hire car option - no windscreen or any other option... Price: $2746.12 (Included loyalty discount of 12% and No claim of 60%).

I confess that I have not shopped around but in defence of that:
1) There is a 21 day cooling off period (provided no claims are made) and
2) I am always worried about taking out insurance from small'ish insurance companies because it is like investing $192k into the company. I would NOT buy $192k worth of shares in them. So if a claim ever had to be made, I would like some peace of mind that they will exist in 12 months time and can pay it out! I know, I know HIH was a big company but still....

Hey Z, since NRMA offers new car replacement for the first 2 years, what's the benefit of specifying the maximum agreed value? I would've thought it's better to specify the minimum agreed value (around $101k I think), which reduces your premium by quite a lot. They're gonna replace the car with the same model anyway, regardless of value, right?

Hey Z, since NRMA offers new car replacement for the first 2 years, what's the benefit of specifying the maximum agreed value? I would've thought it's better to specify the minimum agreed value (around $101k I think), which reduces your premium by quite a lot. They're gonna replace the car with the same model anyway, regardless of value, right?

Yes cynix, you are absolutely right... I had come to the same conclusion myself and had resolved that I would amend the policy to 'market value' and up the excess to the max 2k. That would reduce it by about $700. But I had not thought about 'min agreed value'... I think for the first 2 years, the theory is sound given the new for old replacement and so I will investigate that to see how that compares with market value... Will get back to you on this.

------- Extract of policy

New replacement vehicle
If we agree to pay your claim as a total loss, then you may choose to replace your vehicle with a new one if all of these apply:

• you bought your vehicle as a new or demonstrator vehicle
  • the incident we cover happens within 2 years from when your vehicle
    was first registered
  • your vehicle’s tare weight is less than 2.5 tonnes.
    Covered

• to replace your vehicle with a new one that has the same make, model, engine size, equipment level and paint type if it’s available in Australia
  • to replace any of the following that apply to your vehicle:
    – modifications – options
    – accessories
  • the cost for 12 months registration and CTP insurance for the new vehicle. Conditions

• any credit provider noted on your current Certificate of Insurance must agree we can replace your vehicle
  • the new vehicle must be currently available in Australia
  • you need to give us the refund you get for your unused registration and
    any CTP insurance premium.

Last edited:
A few gratuitous details about how it feels, drives and handles would be great,BH! 4WD on a rainy Perth day? Unusual but good!

Its absolutely amazing to drive even in the rain. The car is so planted and stable on the road and the AWD makes it grip like nothing else. I've owned plenty of powerful AWD cars like Subaru STI and 911 Turbo but none of them felt like this. I haven't heard my tyres break traction once yet (unlike the P85+ I test drove), and I've done a lot of Insane mode launches even when the road was slightly wet.

Hey cynix,

You saved me an extra $738.65! (Must remember to buy you a drink if we ever meet at a Tesla gathering!)

So the minimum agreed amount that NRMA allows is $103,600 and I opted for that sum instead of market value. But this is based on the fact NRMA has a replacement 'election' if total replacement is required within 2 years of the car being registered. And since I am certain that if I write off my car within 2 years I will definitely want a new Tesla as opposed to a pay-out figure - then that is the way to go.

The bottom line premium was $1137.69 BUT I upped the excess from $800 to $2k and I have allowed for a 14 day hire car option.

Now this may still be around $500 more than little insurance companies like Youii BUT like I said before, I would feel too nervous entrusting my .25mill asset with the little league... Upon pay out time, they may wind up! (But I have NOT looked at the Youii Balance Sheet or anything... just guessing here).

Hey cynix,

You saved me an extra $738.65! (Must remember to buy you a drink if we ever meet at a Tesla gathering!)

So the minimum agreed amount that NRMA allows is $103,600 and I opted for that sum instead of market value. But this is based on the fact NRMA has a replacement 'election' if total replacement is required within 2 years of the car being registered. And since I am certain that if I write off my car within 2 years I will definitely want a new Tesla as opposed to a pay-out figure - then that is the way to go.

The bottom line premium was $1137.69 BUT I upped the excess from $800 to $2k and I have allowed for a 14 day hire car option.

Now this may still be around $500 more than little insurance companies like Youii BUT like I said before, I would feel too nervous entrusting my .25mill asset with the little league... Upon pay out time, they may wind up! (But I have NOT looked at the Youii Balance Sheet or anything... just guessing here).

I think the only risk is that if the Model S is no longer available in the Australian market in the next 2 years, then you'll have no choice but to take the payout. I think that's pretty unlikely to happen.

How did you manage to get your premium down to 1137? The lowest I could get was something like $2200, and that's with a $2000 excess.

Youi was actually the most expensive option for me, they quoted me $4500+. The others (GIO, Suncorp, AAMI etc) are all around $3500.

As the Evannex man told me when I was over there, these are actually made in NZ. I made the mistake of attempting the get a wheel repaired then bands installed at the local dealer (actually a BMW shop). They quoted two days (Wednesday to Friday) and when I went to pick up the car they said 'Oh that won't be ready til next Thursday. Much wobbly on my part to get the car back with one half fixed wheel and no bands. Will have to find another source of the bands.

Perhaps they outsource the wheel repairs? My local BMW dealer does, but the rep was kind enough to give me the name so I could go direct. It still took a week though. However, they lent me a replacement wheel for the week. Fairly easy to find for a Mini, but perhaps not for a Tesla.

I think the only risk is that if the Model S is no longer available in the Australian market in the next 2 years, then you'll have no choice but to take the payout. I think that's pretty unlikely to happen.

How did you manage to get your premium down to 1137? The lowest I could get was something like $2200, and that's with a $2000 excess.

Youi was actually the most expensive option for me, they quoted me $4500+. The others (GIO, Suncorp, AAMI etc) are all around $3500.

You make a valid point - and the thing there is to keep an eye on the Tesla website for the next two years. If and when the P85D is no longer, then you should immediately CHANGE your policy - at which point I will probably up it to MARKET VALUE. The danger is if you write it off and the P85D is no longer sold at the time of the 'election' when NRMA gets around to deciding they have to pay you out. And I have little doubt that they will quickly void your election if the P85D has turned into a P90D or a P85+ or a PP85D or whatever...

On the other point: NRMA are giving me a loyalty discount of something like 12% and a no claim bonus of something like 60%... Actually my no claim bonus on line was originally 55% and I rang them up to query that, and they inexplicably bumped it up to 60% - I just took it and moved on to another point. I think you get loyalty discounts based on how many other NRMA insurances you have with them, and that includes CTP, other car, and house etc...

Lastly: I believe my ship will dock early tomorrow morning at 3am... So the big question is, do I get my car on Friday before the weekend, or do I have to endure another weekend without it? Any takers?? Any odds offered??

No KM limit. I do have one other car and contents insurance with them; but then they were the cheapest on those as well.
Had a small claim on the other car. They were most helpful and quick.
I'm amazed they are so cheap. I have house & contents insurance with
Youi but their quote for my Mini was very high. I thought they select the lowest risk cars only: meaning slow and cheap to fix, neither of which applies to Tesla. I'll probably be getting my insurance from RAC WA; Tesla owners here say they give a good deal.

Last edited:
image.jpg
Cracked 1000kms in the first 3 days, it is really sad to get out of the drivers seat at the end of the day.

Gudday Blue Heaven

Thats makes more sense, like Tim I was wondering, given I have an average taken over 19,000+ Kms and its 208W/Km in all terrains and weather so far. Mind you the run up the Adelaide hills will chew electrons especially if you give a bit of a nudge......:scared:

Gudday Blue Heaven

Thats makes more sense, like Tim I was wondering, given I have an average taken over 19,000+ Kms and its 208W/Km in all terrains and weather so far. Mind you the run up the Adelaide hills will chew electrons especially if you give a bit of a nudge......:scared:

The overall average has now dropped to 195w/km, a bit less hard acceleration combined with getting the timing of the regen braking sorted has helped, we did a 385km cruise down south today, it was such a pleasure, didn't want to go home.
i'm looking forward to a run up the Adelaide hills, but as that's 3000km from home I may put that off to next year!

- - - Updated - - -

Production Complete
Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery.

Well tomorrow is the day for me!

store all loose items, fasten seat belts and prepare for take off.