Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "GOOD IDEAS" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dashcam. Smartwatch app extension.

Add an autopilot "pause mode" where you steer the car to a new lane/offramp/merge. When you pull and hold the autopilot stalk, the car lets you steer. When you release it transfers back to autopilot, all without warning chimes or wrestling the steering wheel, etc. This is closer to some aircraft that allow pilot inputs without turning autopilot off completely.

I'd like to be able to adjust the display brightness separately for the each display...For long night drives, when I don't need to access center display controls frequently, I'd like to be able to dim the center screen very low / off, while keeping the driver display on for AP / Nav / Media, allowing the cabin to remain darker...

+1

Adding on to that, like a "incognito" mode. Even at the lowest brightness setting, the screens are still bright at night. Sometimes I wish I could completely black out the center screen when I don't need it.

Reactions: Donz_S
Speed Limiter

I'd love to have a speed limiter, like I had on my previous Mercedes.
It works like this: you push the TACC stalk, and the actual speed you are driving at is set as a max limit.
You can change the limit up or down with the stalk, same as per TACC.
It gets turned off when you pull the stalk.
Reason for this is: I drive quite frequently in 30 and 50Km/h areas, and I would like to be 100% sure that I never go over the limit risking a ticket.
At the same time, I do not want to use TACC in those areas, because I do not want to be FORCED always as close as possible to 50 Km/h.
I want to retain full controll of speed and safety distance from the preciding veicle, and at the same time not be forced to check every 3 seconds if I'm cruising ABOVE speed limit.
Also, if accelerator is fully depressed, the speed limiter is temporarly overridden, and it returns (automatically) effective when your speed is again equal or below the set limit.

Sorry if this was already covered, but I wish the side mirrors had inset blind spot corner mirrors. The S has a big blind spot in the rear quarter. The dash warnings don't always catch it so we leave the camera up on the center display to try to help see what's there. But my Ford Edge has the little corner mirrors that show you there is something in your blind spot. Simple, low tech and they work well.

Reactions: Donz_S and David29
Ability to disable the automatic doors on the X by location. I'd like to disable them at home. I park on the right side of the garage and if I have my key in my pocket while I'm in the passenger seat of my wife's car when she pulls into the garage, my door opens right in front of her :(.

Reactions: conman
I have a load of ideas for Tesla navigation:

Multiple waypoints
Search or add from map and select from "Change Destination" or "Add Waypoint"
Edit and delete Waypoints in the list

Choice of multiple routes
Navigation to calculate routes for best time, minimum distance, least energy use, etc. and allow the driver to select a route (with a default chosen after some seconds). This is also where the addition of waypoints would be of use.

Use/Don't Use Superchargers
If I don't like the coffee at one supercharger and a waitress at another gives me free refills, it would be nice to be able to indicate a preference.

Avoid the next n miles
When something has happened on the road ahead but is not yet reflected in the traffic data, it would be nice to be able to force re-routing for some distance (500 yards, 1 mile, 2 miles, 5 miles).

Learning routes
If a driver consistently ignores the route chosen by navigation but arrives at the same destination, perhaps the navigator could "learn" the driver's preferred route.

Remote routes and waypoints
It would be useful to have the possibility to send waypoints and routes to Tesla navigation from a PC or mobile phone - perhaps using the facility in Google Maps.

Waze Overlay
Maybe Tesla could establish a deal with Waze, where Tesla would send Waze location and speed information from Tesla cars, in return for an optional overlay of Waze data on the Tesla navigation map. (Perhaps the Waze overlay would be available to Tesla owners who choose to share their location data with Waze).

It would be great if you could set an end charging time. This is very useful in the winter - I want my car to end charging just before 7am as that is when I leave for work and that is also when my electricity rate goes up. Having the battery warm prevents limited regen when the ambient temperature is below 12C or so.