Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "GOOD IDEAS" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An optional PIN code required to start the car. That would eliminate some of the recent thefts of those the clone the remotes. Also an encrypted route recording (i appreciate not everybody will be happy with this) but again when cars get stolen then it would be useful to track where the thieves take them.

Reactions: conman
Sorry if this was already covered, but I wish the side mirrors had inset blind spot corner mirrors. The S has a big blind spot in the rear quarter. The dash warnings don't always catch it so we leave the camera up on the center display to try to help see what's there. But my Ford Edge has the little corner mirrors that show you there is something in your blind spot. Simple, low tech and they work well.
Easily added aftermarket. Any number of small adhesive convex mirrors available.

An optional PIN code required to start the car. That would eliminate some of the recent thefts of those the clone the remotes. Also an encrypted route recording (i appreciate not everybody will be happy with this) but again when cars get stolen then it would be useful to track where the thieves take them.

The most overlooked thing is the fact that there is no pin for undoing "mobile access". The second someone turns that off you are screwed. Though that optional PIN to start the car is an interesting idea.

Reactions: Donz_S
Have Auto-drive-by-shooting mode, because I’m tired of having to deal with the nag interval in between clips of ammo. I mean, yes, it’s annoying.... but it’s also unsafe.... I mean doesn’t anyone care about innocent bystanders?

Every time I get into my car and put my foot on the brake, I get warned that the seat belt isn't on... but of course it isn't on as I just got in! I don't particularly like an alarm that goes off - every - single - time I get into my car. Let it wait at least 15 seconds before deciding you're not going to put on your seat belt!

Reactions: JoeS and Donz_S
I recently rented a car for my vacation in Canada, and I got a small Mazda. The equipment was basic but it had an interesting feature that could be *easily* implemented in Tesla.

Basically when driving backwards the dashboard would play a sound when the reverse camera detected something moving on the visible field.
Also, the car was beeping whenever I wanted to change lane and the blind-spot sensor detected a car approaching in that lane (left or right).

I say that all this could *easily* be implemented because all the hardware does exist in our cars, and I'm pretty sure that the most part of the required software does, too.

Every time I get into my car and put my foot on the brake, I get warned that the seat belt isn't on... but of course it isn't on as I just got in! I don't particularly like an alarm that goes off - every - single - time I get into my car. Let it wait at least 15 seconds before deciding you're not going to put on your seat belt!
Just wondering, but why are you pushing the brake when you first get into the car? Pushing the brake starts the car up. If you don't push the brake, it won't warn about the seat belt.

Just wondering, but why are you pushing the brake when you first get into the car? Pushing the brake starts the car up. If you don't push the brake, it won't warn about the seat belt.
A very good reason is that I have my entry profile push the seat down and back to provide plenty of room to get in. When I press on the brake pedal, the seat moves forward and up. If I do this while the seat belt is on, I get crushed by the lap belt, which can't slip on the buckle while tension is present.

In my opinion, a seat-belt warning should not trigger unless the car is put into gear.

A very good reason is that I have my entry profile push the seat down and back to provide plenty of room to get in. When I press on the brake pedal, the seat moves forward and up. If I do this while the seat belt is on, I get crushed by the lap belt, which can't slip on the buckle while tension is present.

In my opinion, a seat-belt warning should not trigger unless the car is put into gear.
I don't use an easy entry profile. Could you also change the profile on the screen instead of using the brake pedal? If so, that might be one way @conman could avoid the warning.

Because if I put my seat belt on before pushing on the brake, I get strangled by the seatbelt from the seat moving from easy entry to my preset position... I'd rather have the seat move into position BEFORE I put my seat belt on. Exactly as @SucreTease said.

I'm still waiting for speed sensitive steering.
Don't know if this has been changed in newer cars, but in my classic there is a choice of Comfort, Normal, and Sport.
What I want is Comfort under 25 mph, Normal from 25-60, and Sport at 60+, or something like that.