Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "GOOD IDEAS" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quoting my idea from another thread:

If I signed a waiver saying Tesla could never be at fault for beta software, I'd be happy with any new garbage they were willing to try. I'm a big boy and have had my fair share of the alpha/beta software world, including my own code, and test existing autopilot in ridiculous conditions it was never meant for and would never blame software for not performing there. Extreme vigilance and treating every single autopilot engagement as a challenge would be perfectly fine for me. If they really offered a "check for updates" button that Elon pseudo-promised, along with the ability to test "dangerous code, use at own risk", I'd still use it. I'm not so scared that I can't simply have my hands on the steering wheel and my foot hovering over the pedals in case it decided to drive me off a cliff - I acknowledge that defeats the whole purpose of autopilot, but I also understand that's what's required. What we really need is the option, rather than be treated as little children that don't know what's best for them. I'd happily take an update 2 or 3 times a week of the code and do ridiculous testing for it while others (allegedly) refuse to even activate autopilot until Tesla declares it stable! Given autosteer is still "beta" even 18 months after its first AP2 inception, they could be waiting a very very long time. I respect their position but feel to be the opposite end of the spectrum. What Tesla needs to do is acknowledge this discrepancy in its customers and offer only stable releases as a default, with others consciously opting in to beta, or even alpha, releases rather than randomly sending out offers to some random few individuals who may or may not be suited to prerelease testing.

Reactions: JoeS
I'm still waiting for speed sensitive steering.
Don't know if this has been changed in newer cars, but in my classic there is a choice of Comfort, Normal, and Sport.
What I want is Comfort under 25 mph, Normal from 25-60, and Sport at 60+, or something like that.
I agree, I actually often change my steering setting according to the place I'm driving. Sport is particularly good on the highway where you don't actually want it to be easy to make minor corrections, while comfort makes complete sense for parking. Heck comfort should be default in reverse!

Lifted from this thread, is the idea that we should be able to turn off just the heater, much like we can turn off the A/C. This makes a lot of sense since in fact the heater consumes quite a lot of power and many of us would be happy for the temperature to fluctuate more. I like the idea of a wide range of temperatures as a compromise, which would allow us to start heating below a certain temperature, and cool above a certain temperature. There isn't always a need for super tight temperature control as though we're a datacenter:
Don't want heater on damn it!

Reactions: JoeS
I would like a track mode in the Model S and X as well. They're just software after all.

I'd like the option to have a full camera mode display on screen showing windows with the views from every camera. It would be nice for parking for example.

I want the option to bring up the repeater camera view in the direction you've turned your blinker as advanced blind spot monitoring!

Vent mode only for climate control to not use any heating or cooling power.

The option to guarantee air suspension height is maintained when parking at extra power cost - some people have had the car come down onto concrete barriers when parked for extended periods.

Reactions: Langhorne
A charge timer setting with "end at time ##:##"
That way the car will start charging when it needs to to be full just when you need it.
Many other EVs have this.

Some benefits:
Battery spends less time full (better for battery health)
Battery can do some charging based warming in the morning, so there is more regen available on cold morning commutes.

Reactions: mongo and conman
I want the option to bring up the repeater camera view in the direction you've turned your blinker as advanced blind spot monitoring!
Have this on our Honda Odyssey mini van (the camera is under the passenger side mirror), and find it quite useful when changing lanes to the right. And yes, I do have the mirrors adjusted the correct way to reduce/eliminate blind spots!

Reactions: conman
That way the car will start charging when it needs to to be full just when you need it.

Some benefits:
Battery spends less time full (better for battery health)
Battery can do some charging based warming in the morning, so there is more regen available on cold morning commutes.

Come to think of it, it would be great if you could schedule cabin temp pre-condition at a scheduled time.

If you have a regular daily commute, it would be nice to find your car ready/waiting at a nice interior temp instead of having to manually activate it ahead of time by the app.

Come to think of it, it would be great if you could schedule cabin temp pre-condition at a scheduled time.

If you have a regular daily commute, it would be nice to find your car ready/waiting at a nice interior temp instead of having to manually activate it ahead of time by the app.
If you have a regular commute, enabling the smart preconditioning will do this for you already?

Windows/sunroof - remote closing or opening of them via app and/or fob. Yes I know some safety reason they were removed or not offered or whatever but it'd still be extremely useful. To that end, the app should be able to show you the state of the sunroof and windows.
I’ll add, remote open would facilitate getting into the car when the door handle presenting mechanism fails. I’ve tweeted this point to Elon. Twice. (No prizes for guessing how many handle failures I’ve had.)

It would certainly also be beneficial to be able to close things up if it started raining.

Reactions: conman
It would be awesome if we could remotely disable our cars through the app. Regardless if someone has the fob. So it could be a temporary killswitch. So if you’re on vacation you can be positive your car would be safe.
I totaled my MS recently and wrote the Exec board requesting Tesla to implement a remote “Factory Reset”. They quickly replied and forwarded my request to the Vehicle Support Team to hopefully accommodate. So, your “Kill Switch” (for other intended purposes) is right along this same line of thinking.

Last edited:

Sadly, both these features have existed on most other EV/PHEVs for years - and in my experience, used heavily.

Inductive super chargers, or at home inductive chargers. Obviously a distant future implementation because it would be a vehicle redesign; but, in the same way that I can set my iPhone on the charging pad and pick it up at any time, my Tesla could "sit on the charger" and quickly depart for any number of reasons without needing to physically unteather from the mother ship.

Inductive super chargers, or at home inductive chargers. Obviously a distant future implementation because it would be a vehicle redesign; but, in the same way that I can set my iPhone on the charging pad and pick it up at any time, my Tesla could "sit on the charger" and quickly depart for any number of reasons without needing to physically unteather from the mother ship.
For the induction to be powerful enough to charge such a massive battery in a meaningful time, the magnetic field would be horrendous and I'm not sure I'd like to subject myself to such exposure and be the guinea pig to assess the health effects of long term exposure to huge magnetic fields even remote from the garage.