Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The model 3 door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dec 22, 2014
UK
S style (not function) door handles.

giphy (1).gif

Last edited:
The door handles are for right-handed people, from the looks of that video snippet. People reaching with their right hands, right thumb pressing on the 'tab' with fingers grabbing the 'stem' that comes out.

If you're left-handed (like my wife), you reach with your LEFT hand which has the thumb on the RIGHT side...

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
The door handles are for right-handed people, from the looks of that video snippet. People reaching with their right hands, right thumb pressing on the 'tab' with fingers grabbing the 'stem' that comes out.

If you're left-handed (like my wife), you reach with your LEFT hand which has the thumb on the RIGHT side...

Obviously you need to let your wife drive...

Depends which side of the car you're on. Driver's side they would work better for lefties. Which I believe is what Thos is saying ;)

Reactions: SCW-Greg and ThosEM

So, a "lefty" on the passenger side of the vehicle must turn their hand to have their palm facing upward. OK, now walk to the driver's side of the car, pretend that you're "righty"... now what? (really, think about it if you must)

There is no bias here, the handles are not designed for a right-handed (nor a left-handed) person... they are just designed the way they are.

Everyone needs to think a wee bit more objectively.

Reactions: HankLloydRight

Turn your hand over with the palm up and grip the hockey stick from the bottom. Problem solved.

The L shaped or Model 3 style door handle
Thanks for this picture. I was wondering the differences in functionality and they seem similar (only styling is different). I am okay with this kind of pop up design (others said the L shaped ones were a button only, but your picture shows it is still a handle, albeit a smaller one). Seems like it'll be less expensive and hopefully more reliable than the Model S handles.

Last edited:
I'm right handed, but it totally depends on which side of the car I'm on. On the left hand side of the car (US Driver side), I use my left hand to open the door. On the passenger side, I use my right hand to open the door, in both cases so that I swing the door away from me.

If I use my right hand on the left side of the car, I would be pulling the door towards me, or I have my back to the car.

I just hope that they are heated. I can see them getting stuck with ice. And cooled, as that thin metal will heat up like crazy. They also look like they can bent easily. I am sure that they are still working on these, as evidently Tesla crew was careful...not to use them.
Agreed. Those are some thin pieces of metal. Even the employees that use the handles as a handle touch them oh so gingerly.