Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Nag makes driving on Autopilot almost impossible for me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving from SoCal to OKC and back was done with only an occasional nag, maybe 4 on the entire trip. The weight of the arm with the elbow on the arm rest continues to work fine. The only problem was using the left hand more often. I am still a bit sore from holding the wheel. Placing the fingers near the control buttons worked, but isn't a natural driving position for me. No matter how it is done, keeping one hand on the wheel is important as Tesla uses the steering wheel as a deadman switch for Autopilot.

Letting a friend try Autopilot with the 2017 MS 90D in OKC produced interesting results. Although my instructions were specific, he tempted fate by pretending to hold the wheel. After several nags, the red warning and alarm sounded. That was the first time I saw and heard it! Told him to take the next off ramp, put it in park and then drive. He learned his lesson and there were no more nags after that.

I learned long ago that with two hands, a balanced steering wheel may not get the turning pressure required to avoid the nag. Using Autopilot has required a different technique of holding and applying constant turning torque to the steering wheel. Using one hand makes it easy. Two hands requires a conscious effort to apply pressure without the other hand canceling out the torque.

Not enough torque: Autopilot nags.
Too much torque: Autopilot shuts off.
Just the right amount of torque: Autopilot works.

Reactions: Big Earl
Agreed. I don't understand what the big deal is. I have an AP1 Model S and an EAP Model 3 and have never had an issue keeping one hand on the wheel to provide enough slight torque to keep the majority of the nags at bay. Never have I missed enough nags to have Autopilot put me in the penalty box.

I have never been to AP jail but I get frequent nags. I refuse to use just one hand. Its not safe. AP is supposed to make us safer but keeping one hand on the wheel is negligent. End sentence. If there really is a situation where you have to take over, one hand isn't going to cut it. The time it takes to put hands on the wheel will be longer with one hand than no hands. False sense of security that one hand is good enough for driving, because, lets face it, with AP you are still driving. Don't fool yourself. And you need 2 hands to drive safely.

Nags should be reduced to what they were before NagGate. Tesla only increased nags to save their pocketbook but Elon's SEC foolishness has cost them more than AP lawsuits.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
I have never been to AP jail but I get frequent nags. I refuse to use just one hand. Its not safe. AP is supposed to make us safer but keeping one hand on the wheel is negligent. End sentence. If there really is a situation where you have to take over, one hand isn't going to cut it. The time it takes to put hands on the wheel will be longer with one hand than no hands. False sense of security that one hand is good enough for driving, because, lets face it, with AP you are still driving. Don't fool yourself. And you need 2 hands to drive safely.

Nags should be reduced to what they were before NagGate. Tesla only increased nags to save their pocketbook but Elon's SEC foolishness has cost them more than AP lawsuits.

I've been driving for over 30 years without a ticket or crash - and a lot of those miles have been with one hand on the wheel. I'm not bragging, and I'm also not an idiot and don't appreciate the lecture. End sentence. I'm glad you have a system that works for you. One handed drivers are not something I worry about in the grand scheme of terrible drivers however.

I've been driving for over 30 years without a ticket or crash - and a lot of those miles have been with one hand on the wheel. I'm not bragging, and I'm also not an idiot and don't appreciate the lecture. End sentence. I'm glad you have a system that works for you. One handed drivers are not something I worry about in the grand scheme of terrible drivers however.

There is difference here in that Autopilot can make steering movements you may have to counter which is different from most of those 30 years of driving. Having two hands to counter Autopilot errors for example is in my thinking a safety conscious move?

There is difference here in that Autopilot can make steering movements you may have to counter which is different from most of those 30 years of driving. Having two hands to counter Autopilot errors for example is in my thinking a safety conscious move?
I don’t disagree. I never advised anyone to not use two hands or said that wasn’t better. Obviously it is. And obviously I drive with two hands a lot. o_O This thread is about people saying the current AP nags are so hard or honerous to deal with for them that it make it useless.

Based on my experience with two AP cars and driving in general, I disagree with the assertion that the nags make it useless - and went so far as to say that I’ve never been put in AP jail, and said I don’t personally think it’s a big deal or hard to even create the right amount of torque with even one hand to avoid AP nags. It’s the opposite of a deathgrip and Tesla’s messaging change is an attempt it seems to be more accurate in what AP wants from a driver to avoid nags and be safe.

I trust it will continue to be made better over time. In the meantime, I find my AP cars quite useful and safe.

I try to be careful to not tell people what to do - especially strangers on the internet. I’ll offer up my opinion and my experiences. Hopefully this clears up my position.

Reactions: electronblue
Having read all the post on this topic, I agree there needs to be better AP functionality. The idea of using the cabin camera to ensure your
eyes are looking ahead and being attentive is much better than touch. Using AP on my Model 3 makes you pay more attention to the blinking alarm on the screen than watching traffic ...I have only had the car 2 months and have not take any long (2-3 hour) trips as of yet.
Then, if you have a medical problem, a future enhancement could be made to move to the side of the road and stop.

Reactions: boonedocks