Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new nose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People keep saying they don't like the white. This angle gives a different look, in my opinion.

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 10.08.57 AM.png

They need to make the X's front grill (whether have it or not) a free option for buyer... the current no front grill look is either ugly or disturbing looking... just so weird...

Basically it looks like many do like it but many hate it... why not just make it an option? It's just a piece of plastic basically...

Already sounds like an aftermarket opportunity for someone already!!

Yes. To all the nose haters: The black nose cone on the model S is ugly, poorly executed (the hood never aligns to it well and leaves an ugly panel gap, and it apes a lot of other cars that have black plastic front pieces. The consensus knock on the model S design is the nose cone. For them to have kept that nose cone and stated that this is the design concept they are going to go for for many years would have been a shock and a wasted opportunity. The new nose is unique because an ICE can't do it. You will get used to it and then the model S will look ugly. I already see it.

I could not agree more. When looking at Model S and Model X side by side, the nosecone now looks outdated and (a bit) ugly.

The best advice someone could give to tesla employees: Don't read this thread!
The front is good as it is and it's good the nose cone is gone forever. That was old style. Now it's more like an electric vehicle front. So perfect.

No more to say. I'm gone here.

Saleen was first in showing what the Model S would look like without a nose cone. They got a ton of BAD reactions to it. Everybody saying how ugly it was. "Voldemort nose". What baffles me is that given all the negative feedback and criticism, that Tesla chose to go forward with a similar nose on the X!! terrible!!!

View attachment 96113

I actually like the Saleen nose concept. The issue I had with it was it was a poor fit, and they got the lines wrong meeting the hood, and the color was slightly off.

I was hoping Tesla would run with this, and get it right.
But alas, they botched it up.

I'm not getting an X, but I have an S in my sites, and by the time I pull the trigger, I fear it'll have the bland X bio-face.

I don't like the front end at all. I tried. Then I tried again. I'd take any of the prototypes over the final product. I'd even take the one with the scowl.
I am disappointed that the distinctive Model S DRLs are gone. I hoped that would be a Tesla signature.
The rest of the front end just doesn't have any aesthetically pleasing lines at all. I expected more from Franz.

Now I am worried about the Model 3. Previously, I was convinced it would be absolutely stunningly sexy.

No Grille. Ferdinand Porsche the first no grille?

View attachment 96142View attachment 96143

So, I think that this really nails it for me. I don't mind the lack of grille. I think it makes all sorts of sense not to have one, and everything from VWs to Porsches to Tatras have done without them.

My problem is that this implementation is half-assed. It's like they took the nosecone design from the Model S and forgot to put the bottom half on. That's why it ends up looking like someone wearing a dust mask. If anything, delete the black half-moon completely and make the headlights slightly bigger to compensate.

With a clean sheet of paper, I just don't understand how they ended up here.

Lighting, height, and angle make a big difference. When the white Model X rolled out on stage, I thought the car was wearing a huge surgical mask (ironic, given the HEPA filter system). However, the Car & Driver photos of the Sig Red look much better:

View attachment 96156
Thanks for that photo; that's the relevant perspective. It's nowhere near as bulbous as some low angles would suggest. It will need paint protection film.