Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using mine a lot and it's ok. It's not very tough, but does the job and weights nothing.
What do you use it for? Does yours flex side to side like mine? (I was doing it on totally level ground but inevitably the weight shifts a little as the tire clears the ground, hence the stress on the jack.) I wonder if some jack models/generations are better than others.

What do you use it for? Does yours flex side to side like mine? (I was doing it on totally level ground but inevitably the weight shifts a little as the tire clears the ground, hence the stress on the jack.) I wonder if some jack models/generations are better than others.
My car is parked outside on a tarmac ground that goes in huge waves. I use it to change wheels, adjust suspension. Certainly, if its starting to go sideways I'm reinstalling it and make sure it's straight. Mine is 1000kg limit, not 900.

View attachment 635718 View attachment 635716 I got an OEM Porsche aluminum jack from eBay and have been sorely disappointed! I cleaned it up and regreased the thread. I couldn’t manage to get a rear tire up on solid ground because I absolutely destroyed the skinny aluminum wrench (the aluminum bent stick with a handle on one end and a hook on the other).

I got a scissor jack to 13/16” or 1/2” drive adapter and managed to get the car up, but not without serious warping by the time the tire cleared the ground. I used chocks on the other side and I think the jack may have called it quits without the chocks!

I think I’m going to keep searching for a sturdier scissor jack. I’m not sure any of the usual suspects on Amazon look any better...almost all of the popular ones have some photos of them failing.
Strange. Why does your car seem to shift position so much while chocked? It appears to be a good 2" from center.

You’re right. I’m not sure. Only thing I can think of is my driveway might be a little sloped but I’ve never taken a level to it (it doesn’t really feel sloped...)

It is best to let the car roll freely while jacking so the car can "follow" the jack, otherwise the geometry will make your jack go sideways.

If you are jacking up the back, the car needs to be able to roll to the back a few inches so the jack stays straight, vice versa the front.

You can chock the car to keep it from rolling away completely. This is one reason why shop jacks are on wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
It is best to let the car roll freely while jacking so the car can "follow" the jack, otherwise the geometry will make your jack go sideways.

If you are jacking up the back, the car needs to be able to roll to the back a few inches so the jack stays straight, vice versa the front.

You can chock the car to keep it from rolling away completely. This is one reason why shop jacks are on wheels.
Thanks for the explanation. That totally makes sense, as almost every time a jack up a car it seems like the car wants to roll. I had thought that was because every time I jack up a car I never quite center it correctly. Your explanation makes a lot more sense.

when you are referring to shop jacks on wheels, you are saying that the jack has to follow the car’s movement also along the long axis of the jack, I take it?

View attachment 635718 View attachment 635716 I got an OEM Porsche aluminum jack from eBay and have been sorely disappointed! I cleaned it up and regreased the thread. I couldn’t manage to get a rear tire up on solid ground because I absolutely destroyed the skinny aluminum wrench (the aluminum bent stick with a handle on one end and a hook on the other).

I got a scissor jack to 13/16” or 1/2” drive adapter and managed to get the car up, but not without serious warping by the time the tire cleared the ground. I used chocks on the other side and I think the jack may have called it quits without the chocks!

I think I’m going to keep searching for a sturdier scissor jack. I’m not sure any of the usual suspects on Amazon look any better...almost all of the popular ones have some photos of them failing.
You can find various scissor Jack handles on Amazon or eBay for $9.00, I carry both types of handles.

F370EB83-D070-4CCF-8535-F83A75965E65.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I solved the problem of "how do you fit a compact scissors emergency jack under a Tesla Model 3 which has a totally flat tire? Recap: all the videos I have seen of "testers" on Youtube only show the jack and Modern Spare tire on a car with a totally good tire. This is not a test of what the Modern Spare tire and jack is intended for. Just try this test at home. Deflate your tire to 0 psig and try to fit your jack under the frame jack point for that particular tire with a lifting puck. I wanted something better than stacking plywood and didn't know this type of thing existed.
So I purchased this item from Amazon.com. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPDKJN7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Watch the video.
Easy to use by using Summon to carefully lift car a couple of inches. It is lightweight and compact. Plus you can remove both parts of this set after you support the weight with the jack. Pull them out and use the black one to chock the opposite wheel. I just ordered it plus the 4000 lb Modern Spare jack and will take pictures when I do a dry run.

Reactions: KenC
Great idea! I like that it can do double duty as a chock!
Thanks. I just want to make an emergency tire change fast, simple, and as stress free as possible. I assume I'll get a flat when I am late for an appointment, or in the middle of the night in a rain storm, or as the crime novels describe: "it was a dark and windy night...he focused on his pinched finger and did not see the three drifters coming his way to "offer help" . Yeah, I just want to do my typical 11 minute tire change and keep on moving down the road.
I will carry a piece of 3/4" x 10 x 10 plywood for under the jack.... which of course would not fit if it were not for the above ramp giving me a little extra clearance for the jack wood and the lifting puck.
I'll post pics when I receive the jack and the ramp.

• Funny
Reactions: Mister.T
My Jack "kit" is all decked out now :) Also have a 20" x 1/2" ratchet extension not shown.
I cut the foam out to fit the lug wrench (that extends), the 6pt 21mm socket, and a ratchet (which is used to drive the jack).

46208569981_524c991c35_b_d.jpg

I took the nub off and added some rubber to the jack
46208569931_902ec80276_b_d.jpg

I also added an adapter to the jack to allow 1/2" ratchet drive.
46208569851_2b923206a6_b_d.jpg
What part of the car exactly is it lifting under? Is it lifting the frame or lower arm? Nice job on cleaning up the jack and the rubber pad, and hex extension etc. Looks perfect.

What part of the car exactly is it lifting under? Is it lifting the frame or lower arm? Nice job on cleaning up the jack and the rubber pad, and hex extension etc. Looks perfect.

I like to put it under the arm where it attaches. Done it that way on every car for decades. And I know plenty of mechanics that do as well. I like it because you don’t have to jack it up so high and I don’t like twisting unibody cars. It can trigger a squeak. It’s less likely to roll on you. And you won’t lift a second tire with a stiff body. Like on model 3. You lift a LOT less weight by just lifting at the arm.

The jack has enough lift to use it either way.

Reactions: Mash
I like to put it under the arm where it attaches. Done it that way on every car for decades. And I know plenty of mechanics that do as well. I like it because you don’t have to jack it up so high and I don’t like twisting unibody cars. It can trigger a squeak. It’s less likely to roll on you. And you won’t lift a second tire with a stiff body. Like on model 3. You lift a LOT less weight by just lifting at the arm.

The jack has enough lift to use it either way.
Just some of my thoughts and progress solving the "problem" of Tesla Jacking which incredibly must be unique in all the world of cars. Can you imaging ANY other Make of car with all the hundreds of hours of owners trying to solve the Mystery? Blows my mind. :)
My Subaru jack has a working load of 900kg or 1900 lbs. I bought the 4000 lb Modern Spare jack thinking it will be safer and easier to jack up the Tesla.
It is obvious that you are a good problem solver, know about cars, and all the details to make the job smarter and easier.
Teslas are stiff ...but... there is always twist in any "box" structure, even the Model 3 with structural battery pack. Couple this twist with the fact that unlike thin flexible metal roofs, the Tesla has a glass roof which is bonded with adhesive. I don't want to contribute to compromising the bond and loosening the top.
I was not able to find the Porsche jack so I landed up buying the Modern Spare 4000 lb jack. Still too tall collapsed to fit under the Tesla with a rim-on-ground flat. In order to use that jack plus my lifting puck I needed more height.
I did not want to carry pounds of plywood to ride the flat tire onto to make clearance for the jack and puck so I was stumped. I didn't give up looking for a solution then I finally found the product at the link below. Check out the video. With Summon this will be a piece of cake. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPDKJN7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Once the car is up enough to insert the jack + puck I will jack it up to relieve pressure on the camco product and use the two parts to chock opposite wheels, remove flat, install Modern Spare then let the jack down and remove the jack. I've got to try this at home with a deflated tire.
Anyway. all this trouble, time, and expense just to change a flat tire on a Tesla. Maybe one day Elon will have 4 pneumatic pistons at each corner to do Indy style tire take offs! I would pay extra for that. Pop and swap!
I got burned in the last couple of years with total destructed tires as seen in pics .... in the cold,,,in the rain,,, along the NYS Thruway not 3 miles from each incident!

Attachments

• 20201021_090613.jpg
    20201021_090613.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 122
  • FB_IMG_1536416634947.jpg
    FB_IMG_1536416634947.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Informative
Reactions: comraddan
Just some of my thoughts and progress solving the "problem" of Tesla Jacking which incredibly must be unique in all the world of cars. Can you imaging ANY other Make of car with all the hundreds of hours of owners trying to solve the Mystery? Blows my mind. :)
My Subaru jack has a working load of 900kg or 1900 lbs. I bought the 4000 lb Modern Spare jack thinking it will be safer and easier to jack up the Tesla.
It is obvious that you are a good problem solver, know about cars, and all the details to make the job smarter and easier.
Teslas are stiff ...but... there is always twist in any "box" structure, even the Model 3 with structural battery pack. Couple this twist with the fact that unlike thin flexible metal roofs, the Tesla has a glass roof which is bonded with adhesive. I don't want to contribute to compromising the bond and loosening the top.
I was not able to find the Porsche jack so I landed up buying the Modern Spare 4000 lb jack. Still too tall collapsed to fit under the Tesla with a rim-on-ground flat. In order to use that jack plus my lifting puck I needed more height.
I did not want to carry pounds of plywood to ride the flat tire onto to make clearance for the jack and puck so I was stumped. I didn't give up looking for a solution then I finally found the product at the link below. Check out the video. With Summon this will be a piece of cake. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPDKJN7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Once the car is up enough to insert the jack + puck I will jack it up to relieve pressure on the camco product and use the two parts to chock opposite wheels, remove flat, install Modern Spare then let the jack down and remove the jack. I've got to try this at home with a deflated tire.
Anyway. all this trouble, time, and expense just to change a flat tire on a Tesla. Maybe one day Elon will have 4 pneumatic pistons at each corner to do Indy style tire take offs! I would pay extra for that. Pop and swap!
I got burned in the last couple of years with total destructed tires as seen in pics .... in the cold,,,in the rain,,, along the NYS Thruway not 3 miles from each incident!

Here's one. Little bit pricey but it sure looks like it's in really nice shape.

⭐ Porsche 911 996 Carrera Emergency Spare Wheel Tire Jack Lift Set Oem | eBay

I really didn't want to carry a hydraulic jack in the car because of the weight, size and sometimes they can leak.
And the 100% aluminum ones get pricey and can be a little bulky.
Some of them claim "Aluminum Racing Jack" but have a lot of cheap chrome parts that will rust.

I bought two of the Porsche jacks, one for my 3 (which I now use on my X, it lifts the X fine BTW) and one for my wife's Volt.
I ended up buying a full Porsche Spare Tire kit for one of them and then re-sold the wheel and it ended up costing me like $100 for the jack. They refused to split even though I offered plenty for just the jack.

It's good you are factoring in how low the car can get with a flat tire (damn low).

Here's one. Little bit pricey but it sure looks like it's in really nice shape.

⭐ Porsche 911 996 Carrera Emergency Spare Wheel Tire Jack Lift Set Oem | eBay

I really didn't want to carry a hydraulic jack in the car because of the weight, size and sometimes they can leak.
And the 100% aluminum ones get pricey and can be a little bulky.
Some of them claim "Aluminum Racing Jack" but have a lot of cheap chrome parts that will rust.

I bought two of the Porsche jacks, one for my 3 (which I now use on my X, it lifts the X fine BTW) and one for my wife's Volt.
I ended up buying a full Porsche Spare Tire kit for one of them and then re-sold the wheel and it ended up costing me like $100 for the jack. They refused to split even though I offered plenty for just the jack.

It's good you are factoring in how low the car can get with a flat tire (damn low).
Thanks for finding that gem of a jack. At the time of your writing I had already purchased the 4000lb modern spare jack. Thanks anyway.