Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well mine "closed" while moving. But all the buttons were greyed out when I was in drive. Do you use the key? Or some other way to start the closing while moving?
In my case, I had the rear hatch open to show the rear-facing before the EV Sociability Run in Charles Town, WV. In the rush to head out for the parade to Sheperdstown I forgot to close the hatch. One of my helpful 'neighbors' offered to close the hatch (using the external button) as I was driving through the parking lot.

Not sure if this is covered yet but while sitting in the drivers seat where your left hand touches the floor while reaching for the front of the seat edge, there's a perfect indentation for the J1772 adapter. Pointed out to my by my co-worker and fellow MS owner, John.
I checked for this but couldn't find a hole that I didn't think would get compacted if the seat was moved forward. Are you saying on the floor at the front of the seat near the left hand corner, or on the floor at the left side near the front corner between the seat and the door sill?

I checked for this but couldn't find a hole that I didn't think would get compacted if the seat was moved forward. Are you saying on the floor at the front of the seat near the left hand corner, or on the floor at the left side near the front corner between the seat and the door sill?

Well I'm assuming the front seat doesn't move all the way forward.
I'm 5' 10" and there's a nice recess which fits the J1772 adapter between the seat and the sill on the left-hand side.

Well I'm assuming the front seat doesn't move all the way forward.
I'm 5' 10" and there's a nice recess which fits the J1772 adapter between the seat and the sill on the left-hand side.
Now I see it. I'll try it. I'm the normal driver, however if someone else drives I see that moving the seat forward automatically pushes the adapter forward as well. Although I still like the glove compartment slot too (Special spot in glove compartment -- for J1772 adapter?).

For the record I am the only driver of my car and I use the adapter every (work) day
epuza5u7.jpg

In my case, I had the rear hatch open to show the rear-facing before the EV Sociability Run in Charles Town, WV. In the rush to head out for the parade to Sheperdstown I forgot to close the hatch. One of my helpful 'neighbors' offered to close the hatch (using the external button) as I was driving through the parking lot.
I just did this today. I had the trunk open for various reasons and then planned to close it from the control button on the touch screen. Ultimately I drove off with it wide open. My first indicator was a feeling of fresh air that had me checking the windows, then I noticed a neighbor staring (I'm used to that so I assumed he was admiring the car) after a block I noticed that the car icon on the dash showed a yellow indicator for the trunk. I think I assumed that if the trunk was wide open there would be warnings popping up so the small yellow indicator left me sasuming that it hadn't closed properly. When I pulled over and saw it was wide open I was surprised and embarrassed.

This is a tiny thing I've discovered about my model S that may be common knowledge. When using the touch screen, if you have a "popup"/dialog open, you don't need to press the relatively small X in the top left of the screen to get rid of it, you can press anywhere on the screen and it will close. This means you can touch the screen somewhere near the nearest edge (without even looking) to restore the screen to its original state. I find this much safer than trying to precision press the X with finger hovering over the screen. I was going to start a thread (or introduce the subject of) using the touch screen safely but to be honest this is my only useful tip so far.

This is a tiny thing I've discovered about my model S that may be common knowledge. When using the touch screen, if you have a "popup"/dialog open, you don't need to press the relatively small X in the top left of the screen to get rid of it, you can press anywhere on the screen and it will close. This means you can touch the screen somewhere near the nearest edge (without even looking) to restore the screen to its original state. I find this much safer than trying to precision press the X with finger hovering over the screen. I was going to start a thread (or introduce the subject of) using the touch screen safely but to be honest this is my only useful tip so far.

Yes. This really sucks when you are about to touch something on the map or whatever and suddenly a call comes in on the bluetooth. You end up sending the call to voicemail by pressing the screen.

I just did this today. I had the trunk open for various reasons and then planned to close it from the control button on the touch screen. Ultimately I drove off with it wide open. My first indicator was a feeling of fresh air that had me checking the windows, then I noticed a neighbor staring (I'm used to that so I assumed he was admiring the car) after a block I noticed that the car icon on the dash showed a yellow indicator for the trunk. I think I assumed that if the trunk was wide open there would be warnings popping up so the small yellow indicator left me sasuming that it hadn't closed properly. When I pulled over and saw it was wide open I was surprised and embarrassed.

Same thing happened to me. No way to look cool.

The car will shutdown/sleep after 30 mins even if you're sitting in the driver's seat. I was enjoying the air conditioning, charging my phone and having a conversation over Bluetooth. First the call audio dropped and then the screens shut down. It was a freaky experience; I wasn't sure if the alarm would go off if I opened the door (it didn't).

The car will shutdown/sleep after 30 mins even if you're sitting in the driver's seat. I was enjoying the air conditioning, charging my phone and having a conversation over Bluetooth. First the call audio dropped and then the screens shut down. It was a freaky experience; I wasn't sure if the alarm would go off if I opened the door (it didn't).

Hmm...a couple of weeks ago I ended up in a parking lot on a 2 hour conference call (literally 2 hours), and it never shut down.

It's been reported in this thread that the Model S has a feature that when you open a door, the audio level decreases. I don't know if it was also posted that when you open the rear hatchback, the audio level also decreases. Just discovered that myself for the first time today.

Last edited: